• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I just can't see it working, just to unfair on SA and Arg. Don't even see how the 8 nations up north will work, Japan's players wouldn't have played any rugby either, so don't know how they could play tests.

not to mention Fiji. If Fiji were going to play they'd be better off in our bubble against Super, Maori, NZ 'A' and Aus 'A' teams.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I just can't see it working, just to unfair on SA and Arg. Don't even see how the 8 nations up north will work, Japan's players wouldn't have played any rugby either, so don't know how they could play tests.

Japan's player's had barely played any rugby before the RWC - went fine for them. Don't the northern teams regularly play us relatively 'cold' on our northern tours?

Travel restrictions seem like a pretty valid reason for the RC to be cancelled this year.

Not playing enough rugby sounds like a convenient excuse for SA to get out of playing games that aren't weighted in their favour.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They did play games just against sub standard opposition. Japan played all NZ’s Super B teams

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Japan's player's had barely played any rugby before the RWC - went fine for them. Don't the northern teams regularly play us relatively 'cold' on our northern tours?

Travel restrictions seem like a pretty valid reason for the RC to be cancelled this year.

Not playing enough rugby sounds like a convenient excuse for SA to get out of playing games that aren't weighted in their favour.

NH teams that play us in northern tours are made up of players that are involved in club rugby though. You can't have SA players that have not had any rugby coming into Test rugby, and with the state of Covid 19 there I think it pretty low to suggest they are using convenient excuses, they need money as much as anyone.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wow Fiji and japan to join 6 nations - that is like SANZAAR you could not organise a piss up in a brewery so off they go to join 6 nations - the Current Trans tasman debacle probably just confirms they are absolutely right....

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wow Fiji and japan to join 6 nations - that is like SANZAAR you could not organise a piss up in a brewery so off they go to join 6 nations - the Current Trans tasman debacle probably just confirms they are absolutely right..
It just makes no sense. Why would Fiji participate in a home nations comp? And imagine how some European countries, Georgia in particular, Spain and Romania as well though, would react to Japan and Fiji being invited in?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It just makes no sense. Why would Fiji participate in a home nations comp? And imagine how some European countries, Georgia in particular, Spain and Romania as well though, would react to Japan and Fiji being invited in?

It actually makes sense because Japan and Fiji are pissed about how treated by SANZAAR partners. Remember they made JRFU pay a fee for Sunwolves participation and outside of oz and world rugby efforts to have Drua participate in NRC have done sweet bugger all to look at how can have them progress. And NZRU selfish behaviour with their All Black Development League approach shows this self interest and lack of regards to regional interests likely will continue. Some ways would be good kick up the arse to NZRU if this happened alongside if RA says FU to involvement in trans tasman competition.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Japan I can understand to an extent, Fiji a lot less so. Regardless, at this point in time I really can’t see anything happening in the populous north in the medium term that involves participation from foreigners. Even domestic comps might be a stretch. I’ve just been browsing this:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Japan I can understand to an extent, Fiji a lot less so. Regardless, at this point in time I really can’t see anything happening in the populous north in the medium term that involves participation from foreigners. Even domestic comps might be a stretch. I’ve just been browsing this:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Remember Fiji voted for NH World Rugby nomination - not the SH World Rugby Nomination - telling

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Having a convicted killer and criminal promoter as the Chair will do that.

There is still a stench, but Kean has now been moved on.

I think a chill pill is needed about Fiji.
  • Only reason their name has even come up here now is due to the Boks possibly not playing in 2020.
  • The so-called 8N comp has been in planning for some time. It's a one-off for 2020 (if it actually goes ahead).
  • Sanzaar didn't include Fiji in their TRC bubble tournament plans.
But, most importantly, something like 87% of Fiji's extended test squad and 100% of their starting XV are based in Europe.

That's where they play EOY tests anyway and this year is planned to be no different.

Any possible future involvement of Fiji &/or Japan in a SH tournament is still only that - a question for the future.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is a post I read on Planet Rugby, suggesting a great idea if the RC doesn't go ahead, which I don't think it will. I know it only dreaming but I would love it .
I've been thinking*

If the Boks and Argies cannot do the RC, then I propose the following to make it less boring:

Reds v All Blacks - Brisbane
Brumbies v All Blacks - Canberra
Australia A v All Blacks - Gosford
Wallabies v All Blacks - Sydney

One Week rest

Highlanders v Wallabies - Dunedin
Crusaders v Wallabies - Christchurch
Hurricanes v Wallabies- Wellington
All Blacks v Wallabies - Auckland
Although you couldn't do that, need at least 3 weeks between countries with quarantines etc, but it fun to dream about isn't it?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

The played the Pacific Nations Cup until August. They played two warm up games before the tournament.
Trained at home in their own facilities, slept in their own beds. Of course it was fine for them,

I don't know if you are trying to troll, talk shit, or both.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
NH teams that play us in northern tours are made up of players that are involved in club rugby though. You can't have SA players that have not had any rugby coming into Test rugby, and with the state of Covid 19 there I think it pretty low to suggest they are using convenient excuses, they need money as much as anyone.

The situation in SA has gone beyond desperate.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
What happens with referees? Fly them from Europe and quarantine or just run the gauntlet with the Kiwi ones?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I actually wonder if the fact NZ has 0 COVID cases counts against them as a host. Their gov would be much more reluctant to host visitors with hotel exemption isolations. The precedent has been set with the Phoenix and Warriors arriving (although coming from NZ is probably seen as much lower risk than SA, Arg and the UK/France).