• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
When the kids get to high school, the parents seem to back off, content to let teachers do it all, and I mean all sports, not just rugby. Get them involved, even if it is to help ice injured players, or hold tackle bags. A lot of dads would love to help out but feel they are not needed. I had a dad video all our games so the boys could sit in my room at lunchtimes and watch themselves. We even made a couple of Youtube video compilations out of it.

That is by far the hardest age group to coach. With all the changes happening in life it is hard enough to keep them in sport and Mum and Dad are not cool to hang around with. The mentoring side of junior coaching really comes to the fore I find here.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Fair enough Teach, I agree that they have to know the basics first otherwise its dangerous.

I still think tackling is more of a mental skill than technical though. Ive never really seen the point of those tackle bag things either (the sausage ones) they don't even encourage good technique because you cant wrap your arms around them.

You can still identify the schoolboy "big kids" in adult rugby, shocking hands!

I think it is about both in equal porportions and they flow into eachother. Slowly progressing through the technique helps build up the self confidence for the player to through themselves into that contact situation. The catch being that each player develops that confidence at different rates.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Junior Rugby Coaching Resources

Credit where it is due: Thanks Teddington Rugby Football Club

I found plenty of supplementary material here to go with the ARU and NSWRU Coach Ed stuff received over the years.

http://www.teddingtonrfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=84

Spikhaza:
Along with the advice from fellow Gaggerlanders, I would recommend that you get along to a ARU coaching course, especially if you are teaching "confidence in contact" to kids other than your own.
Start with a Smart Rugby (Couple of hours), Pathway (4 hours) or Foundation (full day)Course.
Typically these are run at the start of each season (Feb/March period). If nothing else, once you complete these courses, you are covered (to a degree) by the ARU Insurance scheme.
The materials and resources handed out at these courses are very good.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ARU Level 3 Advanced Coaching Papers

Not sure if I can copy and paste documents here without breaching copyright, so will just paste the link:
http://www.aru.rugby.com.au/community_rugby/coaching/level_iii_papers/level_iii_papers_-_coaching,_technical__tactical,30439.html

I have found this article useful for working with "smaller" players in the tackle contest.
http://www.aru.rugby.com.au/verve/_resources/Little_men_against_Big_men_-_J_Sano_2004_file.pdf

Plenty of other thought provoking documents on the Level 3 Advanced Coaching Papers part of the ARU website.
http://www.aru.rugby.com.au/community_rugby/coaching/level_iii_papers,13173.html

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"Up" Series Posters - Fix Up, Drink Up, Gear Up, Warm Up

The revised and new-look Up Series Posters (Fix Up, Drink Up, Gear Up and Warm Up) aim to increase knowledge around four key injury prevention/sports safety areas (hydration, equipment, warm up and injury management).

http://smartplay.com.au/Pub/pStart.asp

Download these and laminate them, put them in your annual "Welcome to Rugby" pack, or email them around as part of your parent/player emails.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
When the kids get to high school, the parents seem to back off, content to let teachers do it all, and I mean all sports, not just rugby. Get them involved, even if it is to help ice injured players, or hold tackle bags. A lot of dads would love to help out but feel they are not needed. I had a dad video all our games so the boys could sit in my room at lunchtimes and watch themselves. We even made a couple of Youtube video compilations out of it.

Interesting: I think parents should be kept completely out of the picture by the time of high school.
They have to learn to fend for themselves without parental input.
Anyway the posturing of fathers to prove who talks the best game is unhelpful.....in my experience

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think focusing on the basics is the most important thing when coaching younger blokes. Breakdown play, support play, passing in front of the man, set piece, defensive structure, importance of quick ball/slowing down the ball.

No one really has a game plan at junior rugby level so I find if you just give them general structures in attack and defence and let them go themselves. Most of the time the opposition is totally unknown so I tend to watch the opposition in the first part of the game and then try and get the team to exploit the oppositions weaknesses for the rest of the game.

I find at training a few things that help with discipline are to only bring one or two balls so that you can control it the whole time and the kids don't go off and start having a kick by themselves. Also set a time period for how long you want to training to run (e.g. 2 hours) and then make it clear that training starts when the last member of the team turns up and ends 2 hours after that point.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In terms of time discipline, particularly getting the young'uns to turn up on time, at the start of the season in particular, I always start with a fun activity,rather than a drill. Kids who turn up late are not allowed to join in to the fun activity, and are required to do warm up stretching and fitness activities. Only need to do this once or twice to set the precedent, and even if it is the parent who is disorganized and not the kid, they nag parents to get them there on time for fear of missing out on the good stuff.
Another way is to have a 10 minute Managers moment, with "training" starting precisely on the hour. During managers moment, you do all the admin, taping, checking injuries, mouthguards, etc while the stragglers basically getting the team ready to go, so your actual training time is not wasted waiting around for Browns Cows.

Unless there are compelling reasons, you manipulate game time to reward punctuality and effort at training.
Need to be careful not to penalize players for issues that are outside their control.

F

fjahnin45f

Well, coaching is management. Managing a team composed of individuals who have both emotional and mental capacity aside from physical strength and skills requires inspiration.
A game plan involves man management and tactics but idea must be clear to each member of team. They must be also emotionally and mentally well equipped to play, last, and win the game. So man management and inspiring team members are both significant and taken into consideration. Yes, it maybe role of a coach but there are some factors that still he can't control.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Make sure you have a good lineout. Especially short variations. If you are up against monsters, a 4 man lineout with a bit of movement can often tip the scales in your balance. I think a good lineout can be more important than a dominant scrum. I would be happy with an adequate scrum and a dominant lineout.

I love the short lineout, it gives you options for a mid field crash, or not, which keeps the opposition guessing.

I am also a firm believer in 2 pods of lifters and jumpers in the u16 and below. It is very rare to find a hooker that can drop the ball on to a jumper standing at 4. Instead it goes flat. A good 2 jumper may well get it.

Always compete on their throw in. Referees often let a not straight throw in go if the opposition does not compete.

Make sure you have guys who can lift at the front and the back. They can be funny about the front, and often the back lifter can get kicked in the buts by a newbie jumper flailing legs.

I spend ten minutes, at least, every single practise, running through lineout calls and moves. I often have nights where the reserves are in key positions and everyone is playing their back up position. As mentioned in other posts, every member of my teams must be able to play two positions. Forwards must be able to lift front and back, or lift and jump. I took a team to the South Island U15 tournament this year, on the way to the finals the boys worked out with the reserves still able to play (after 3 games in 3 days against some of the top teams), there were something like 20 different combinations of lifters and jumpers I could field.

It means too that in case of injury, if a player does not think he can make a crucial jump, there should always be enough players, at least one, on the field able to step in to a key spot. If I am dealing with an injury, the reserve can just run in and join the correct pod, maybe with a slight positional shuffle.

Have a lineout call for a quick throw to 2. Good for when opposition are shagging around and not organised.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Sorry. I wasn't listing features that I believe an inexperienced team should be able to do. I am coming from the direction of coaching top age group teams in a school that has produced a number of All Blacks in recent years. So obviously I have a much better skill set to choose from. KISS would then be vital for you.The ideas I have put down are for top U14-U16 teams. I would still ensure at very least a functioning lineout with the ability to go short.

Obviously if you have teams that can't tackle yet, then you are going to have a whole other set of issues. I did not mean to sound patronising, but I thought the premise of this thread was to talk about philosophys of coaching and share ideas. I have been lucky in that I often have teams the boys fight like hell to get into, and stay in.

I recommend Dan Cottrell's website and newsletter.
A few more worth a read.
http://www.ruckingball.com/
http://www.joberrugby.com/

I make it a point to observe other coaches when I can, to steal training drills. I also try and get guest coaches in when possible to keep it fresh.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone bought Bob Dwyers Coaching Manual which is advertised on the Home Page with $50 discount for Gaggerlanders? Reviews anyone?

F

finn1hardnut

Helping transform a Teenager Rugby player

This is my first post to the Green and Gold Rugby Forums.

I'm wondering weather firstly if this thread is used alot and more importantly secondly if i can get advice for an aspiring rugby player like myself.

To put it bluntly I'm not a big polynesian run and gun player, I pride myself on my skills (kicking, passing, controlling the game etc.)

If their is anyone out their who can reply to this thread just to see that someone wants to help out a player who frankly is obsessed by rugby.

I'll will get in more detail if this message is replied to ( height and weight etc.)

I just need someone who would help me out, in giving me tips to improve etc. thats why im replying to this thread not to others, unless I have missed a "help me" type of thread.

regards,
Finn

Status
Not open for further replies.