• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

finn1hardnut

Reply - What position?

I currently play scrum half and have played for 7 or so years, I enjoy the position but being a centre is also on my list.
by the way im 15 in year 10

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
You do not have to be a big polynesian player. Skill is more important. Especially tackling. If you can drop someone by taking them around the ankles then that will cancel out a lot of size.
What position do you play? What positions can you play? How old are you?

I would recommend that you don't set your heart on one position only. As you get older you may bulk up and become too slow for the backs, or lean enough to try out for lock. I make all my players have at least one back up position. For example, every loosie will play on the flank and have a go at number 8 or lock. 1st V covers 2nd V. Centre and wing should be able to swap. If the coach knows that you can cover several spots, it makes his job that much easier.

I can give you several examples of players from the school I currently work out who changed position over the years. e.g. Tom Willis. Started off as flanker, made All Blacks as a hooker. Ben Smith. Half back to 1st XV, now All Black winger and wing/1st V/fullback for Highlanders (though currently not in AB squad as we have truckloads of wingers).

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Half back and 1st V are two positions that would be ideal for you. As halfback you would be used to passing to a 1st V so should already know where you should stand.

F

finn1hardnut

I could play Fly-half or what ever you want to call it, but I do love to set the pace of the game, phases and ordering my fly half and fowards around

Where do you work cause it sonds really cool that you have worked with amazing talents?

Im form victoria, but i am moving up to Queensland. Its currently the off season but im already doing my own pre season and twice a week pre hab with a rebels physio.
As rugby is not very serious down here and alot of the time I am not playing rugby it would be awesome to have a guy who could help me with making me into a force to be reckoned with.

Heres the thing, my build is not amazing for rugby. 65 kilos and 181 cm, but hey ill bulk up cause its still early teen years.
I am fit and strong for my weight, and i work out most nights around 5 out of 7 nights weekly.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
181 cm and 61 kilos? shit you must be skinny. Don't worry, you will bulk up. Just a tip, if you are that height and weight and working out lots. Eat more! Peanut butter sandwiches etc. Feed the muscle so it can grow! Don't worry about lots of supplements either. Eat real food.
Have a look at these guys on the video. they are the U15 team I coached this year. 2 big props (105kg). Small, nippy backline (av 60kg), not big but very good tackling and ball skills. had a nationally ranked touch player at centre.
We came 3rd in the South Island this year. So up against some serious competition. We have a rugby academy at school. 2 hours a week training during classtime. This year the year 10 academy was taken by our new sports coordinator, former AB #8. So a lot of skills work on top of practise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ymBnOAUhk

p.s. I can't claim to have coached any AB's myself, yet. I am not that great, but the reason why I am on an Aussie forum is to gain a different perspective on teams and players and their roles. My playing days are over, now I want to be the best coach I can be.
The most recent ABs were in the 1st Xv when I started teaching there. But it is great to be able to have Highlanders players turn up to run a skills session with the boys.

F

finn1hardnut

65 kilos read wrong, sorry I must sound like an arrogant twat.

Anyway here ill go through my rough eating per day.

Breaky - bowl of porridge , glass of milk

Recess - Biscuits, piece of fruit

Lunch - Two sandwhiches, piece of fruit

Arvo - bowl of pasta, 6 weetbix

Dinner - Well rounded vegies, meat and rice pasta or potatoes

Dessert - Ice cream or bowl of cereal

I think im eating alot and i drink a fair bit of water. I dont eat any of the supplements and stuff, cause like you said just eat real food.

Any improvements I can make?
I can bench around 60 -65 kilos
can do 80 consecutive push ups (should be able to do hundred by christmas)
Practice kicking most days
go for runs

Just cant seem to put on the weight!!

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Eat more! If you start putting on fat, eat a little less. Have a sandwich at recess or an extra one at lunch. Sounds like you are burning it off.

F

finn1hardnut

Oh by the way, congrats on winning the world cup.
Are their any exercises you get your team to do during the pre season or match season.
One's that you tell your guys to do in their own time etc.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Playing touch rugby is a good one. Keeps the passing skills up. That and running to keep the aerobics up.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Playing touch rugby is a good one. Keeps the passing skills up. That and running to keep the aerobics up.

Unsupervised, unstructured touch football is possibly the worst thing you can let your players ‘run in their own time’. From experience as a player, coach and development officer it is one of the biggest mistakes coaches make.

Generally, players use it as a social exercise rather than for skill development or fitness. It teaches poor running lines and poor passing options as players are generally way too flat in attack and defence, everyone wants to play 10 and run the show with little thought given to the skill/fitness development side of things.

Game sense skills, when run properly, are a great asset to any coaches arsenal and there are some great links to games like kiwi touch, drop off touch, ruck touch, brumbies ball, passing soccer etc etc on the various unions websites. Look under the community rugby or coaching links. www.actrucoached.rugbynet.com.au “drill of the week” is a great start and was set up by Level III Coach Nick Leah.

F

finn1hardnut

If i do play touch i play it as a summer sport for my school so it is supervised and what not.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In Sydney, Schools may "Supervise" touch rugby as a sport, and proper rugby for that manner, but in my humble opinion unless you are in 15A, 16A or 1st XV, the rugby coaching qualifications of the teachers acting as coaches is very poor. In the past, many of the so called coaches have not even been "Smart Rugby" qualified.

ARU, as the national Rugby franchise brand owner, needs to pull the schools into line here. Their "brand" is devalued, and "product" not up to standard, unless the raw material is processed and prepared for the market in accordance with their standards.

You would not see McDonalds, Jims Mowing, KFC etc or any other successful Franchising organisation allowing this to happen. Why does the ARU?

ARU needs to invest in and drive the upskilling of teacher/coaches in the Public and Private School system, and not rely on the initiatives of keen Principals, and (full time [not many] or part time [most]) Rugby Masters in Charge. This has to happen for every kid playing Heavensgame regardless of skill level, right down to the 13F's or what ever the lowest graded team in the youngest age group is.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
In the past, many of the so called coaches have not even been "Smart Rugby" qualified.

That's crazy, the schools must be looking for a law suit. Smart Rugby is the absolute minimum qualification to be covered for insurance purposes and is essential for all referee's, players coaches etc.

ARU needs to invest in and drive the upskilling of teacher/coaches in the Public and Private School system.

It's not only the schools where the upskilling needs to occur, there are heaps of opportunities out in clubland for the ARU to get people accredited as coaches.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)

I think im eating alot and i drink a fair bit of water. I dont eat any of the supplements and stuff, cause like you said just eat real food.

go for runs

To build that muscle you will need to eat more protein. Take a look around and try and buy tin's of tuna whenever it's on sale. Avoid the flavoured ones. Eat more egg's too with out the yolks.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)

go for runs

You don't want to gain "weight". You want to gain muscle mass. Putting aside genetics, a very big reason for you not gaining muscle is your diet and your exercise regime. You need to be eating a LOT more PROTEIN. Your diet is massively Carb heavy. To get the amount of protein you need if you want to gain muscle, you'll need to use a protein shake, fact of life. Forget creatine and all that other rubbish. The only reason for a protein shake is for the protein. Muscles can't grow without it. And if you over-train you won't grow. You need to let the muscle recover. Thats when it grows. Try this diet

Breakfast - 4 eggs on 2 pieces of wholegrain bread like Burgen.
Morning tea - shake with 2 eggs in it, some fruit if you want it
Lunch - Lean meat, broccolli, rice or potatoes (steamed). A decent sized serve. Big portions.
Afternoon tea - shake with 2 eggs in it, some pasta if you want it
Dinner - lean meat, broccolli, rice or potatoes (steamed). Same again - generous portions
Dessert - with your body fat comp - no issue.
Eat about 50 grams of almonds during the day as a snack. Kangaroo fillets are excellent for the meat. Chickens are relatively cheap if you roast them yourself. I found a mob that cryopack Roo with lemon and pepper, and its cheap. Buy the meat in bulk, freeze it and save. No sauces, no processed food. Its not about you getting fat - its about how your body processes nutrition and all that fancy MasterChef stuff gets in the way. No booze, ever - which is easy for you, harder for us :) If you want to add other vegies, fine, but broccolli is the best. For the shake, Dymatize ISO 100 is what I use, but I want less carbs. That isn't really an issue for you, and one with more carbs might be better. Just make sure the protein content is high.

Now - your workouts - Here is a basic fact - bigger muscles lift or move more weight. Therefore, if you want bigger muscles (ie more muscle mass) you must lift more weight. Not less weight more often. You should be weight training 2, max 3 times per week and going as heavy as you possibly can. Focus on Deadlifts, Free Squats, Leg Presses, Bench Press, dumbell press, incline press, standing curls, skull crushers, lat pull downs, seated cable rows, dumbell press etc. Big muscles, real heavy and be prepared to push those last impossible reps out, throw up and get dizzy. Don't be a form Nazi, just lift the weight. Deadlifts are the grand-daddy of all exercises for strength and overall muscle growth, squats and bench press are the next ones.

And have a look at this site - www.biologiclabs.com.au Damon Hayhow knows how to grow muscle. Thats only one part of you being a good rugby player, but if you want to grow muscle, read everything he has written, and email him. Tell him Karl sent you :)

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I can't find it now but a program I've used before was probably the best for making sure you are lifting heavier weights and improving all the time.

It's called '5 by 5' and basically involves doing 5 reps and 5 sets of every exercise, increasing the weight on each set by ~10%. Each week you aim to go up some on each exercise by doing 4 sets of 5, one set of 3 on the new max, then a 6th set of 8 reps on a lower weight. It sounds complicated but after a week you get used to it.

The main exercises are deadlift, barbell squat, bench press, military press with a couple of others thrown in.

As for form, I can't agree with the above. Form matters. As Arnie (I think) said - full range of motion = full development; half range of motion = half development. And shit form can mean you injure yourself too, especially if you're trying to go heavier all the time. Focus on it and find someone who knows what they're on about to show you if you're unsure.

NB I just remembered you're pretty young too, I don't know what the thinking is atm about doing super heavy weights at your age.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Unsupervised, unstructured touch football is possibly the worst thing you can let your players ‘run in their own time’. From experience as a player, coach and development officer it is one of the biggest mistakes coaches make.

Generally, players use it as a social exercise rather than for skill development or fitness. It teaches poor running lines and poor passing options as players are generally way too flat in attack and defence, everyone wants to play 10 and run the show with little thought given to the skill/fitness development side of things.

Game sense skills, when run properly, are a great asset to any coaches arsenal and there are some great links to games like kiwi touch, drop off touch, ruck touch, brumbies ball, passing soccer etc etc on the various unions websites. Look under the community rugby or coaching links. www.actrucoached.rugbynet.com.au “drill of the week” is a great start and was set up by Level III Coach Nick Leah.

Didn't make myself clear. During the off season, there is a strong touch rugby competition over here, I have no idea what is available for you. School grades, mixed teams, adult teams etc, running several days a week. A lot of our players do it to keep fit, and it does help them with their passing skills and vision.
I wasn't meaning down the beach with a few mates.
They seem to cope with the difference when the regular rugby season starts. One of our guys plays fullback for the 1sts, Touch in summer and made the NZ secondary schools Rugby team. Hasn't hurt him much.

The young fella is asking for ideas. I see nothing wrong with him playing touch as a summer sport in a proper team. I am pretty certain it is not going to destroy his rugby skill set. It is a dicking around at rugby practise playing touch that is not a good idea. I agree on that. There are plenty of variations to play.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I could play Fly-half or what ever you want to call it, but I do love to set the pace of the game, phases and ordering my fly half and fowards around

Where do you work cause it sonds really cool that you have worked with amazing talents?

Im form victoria, but i am moving up to Queensland. Its currently the off season but im already doing my own pre season and twice a week pre hab with a rebels physio.
As rugby is not very serious down here and alot of the time I am not playing rugby it would be awesome to have a guy who could help me with making me into a force to be reckoned with.

Heres the thing, my build is not amazing for rugby. 65 kilos and 181 cm, but hey ill bulk up cause its still early teen years.
I am fit and strong for my weight, and i work out most nights around 5 out of 7 nights weekly.

Where are you moving to? What school will you be attending and do you plan on playing club rugby? Where will you be living? Can hook you up with some good rugby people if you need any help and are in South East Qld I might be able to hook you up.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
In Sydney, Schools may "Supervise" touch rugby as a sport, and proper rugby for that manner, but in my humble opinion unless you are in 15A, 16A or 1st XV, the rugby coaching qualifications of the teachers acting as coaches is very poor. In the past, many of the so called coaches have not even been "Smart Rugby" qualified.

ARU, as the national Rugby franchise brand owner, needs to pull the schools into line here. Their "brand" is devalued, and "product" not up to standard, unless the raw material is processed and prepared for the market in accordance with their standards.

You would not see McDonalds, Jims Mowing, KFC etc or any other successful Franchising organisation allowing this to happen. Why does the ARU?

ARU needs to invest in and drive the upskilling of teacher/coaches in the Public and Private School system, and not rely on the initiatives of keen Principals, and (full time [not many] or part time [most]) Rugby Masters in Charge. This has to happen for every kid playing Heavensgame regardless of skill level, right down to the 13F's or what ever the lowest graded team in the youngest age group is.

A good remedy for this would be mutual partnerships between local clubs and local schools.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Didn't make myself clear. During the off season, there is a strong touch rugby competition over here, I have no idea what is available for you. School grades, mixed teams, adult teams etc, running several days a week. A lot of our players do it to keep fit, and it does help them with their passing skills and vision.
I wasn't meaning down the beach with a few mates.
They seem to cope with the difference when the regular rugby season starts. One of our guys plays fullback for the 1sts, Touch in summer and made the NZ secondary schools Rugby team. Hasn't hurt him much.

The young fella is asking for ideas. I see nothing wrong with him playing touch as a summer sport in a proper team. I am pretty certain it is not going to destroy his rugby skill set. It is a dicking around at rugby practise playing touch that is not a good idea. I agree on that. There are plenty of variations to play.

We do the same where I live. The other off season sport we encourage our juniors to play is soccer. We find it a good way to enhance vision and coordination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom