• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Soccer is a fantastic sport for spacial awareness and teaches players to look forward for opportunities and space. This is a great skill on a rugby field where most youngsters normally concentrate on the opposition and not the opportunities available.

In terms of touch it all comes down to the participant. If you want to muck around and try and throw Cooperesque passes then you are wasting your time but if you manipulate the space and run good lines you will get a lot out of it. Also push yourself physically so that you are having to do things under fatigue as this will improve you skills in a game like situation.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The long ball is a big part of touch at the higher levels, it's no coincidence that Benji played top level touch & has the best long ball in the NRL.
Touch is ideal for a "playmaker" to hone their option taking skills.

S

spooony

Soccer is a fantastic sport for spacial awareness and teaches players to look forward for opportunities and space. This is a great skill on a rugby field where most youngsters normally concentrate on the opposition and not the opportunities available.

In terms of touch it all comes down to the participant. If you want to muck around and try and throw Cooperesque passes then you are wasting your time but if you manipulate the space and run good lines you will get a lot out of it. Also push yourself physically so that you are having to do things under fatigue as this will improve you skills in a game like situation.
Football in reality is a fascinating tactical battle. Most people dont notice it. But once you know what to look for you pick it up and suddenly it looks a different sport. When I have a chance one day I will use a match that place took and show what 99 percent of the people are really missing.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have been trying to work out the reason for the obvious failure of certain players in the tackling department, (my initial draft said ‘tackle department’ but then I realized that that could just get me into trouble), and figured that this was as good a place as any to pose the question(s).

Then when Lance said in Memo to Melbourne: Tackle or be Damned : “… there are technical deficiencies and in some players a failure of the heart. I reckon tackling is 40% technical 60% ticker.” I started to think even more. He’s got a point.

There are many players out there who stimulate much discussion regarding their defensive performance, but there are others that even the most one-eyed supporter would need to admit has definitely got issues.

QC (Quade Cooper)…… ahhh yes the whipping boy for all defensive issues in the Reds and the Wallabies. I am not saying that popular opinion is incorrect. As a Reds supporter, even I would say that if he was the last line of defense between an U12 half-back and the try line, I would not put the house on a try not being scored. But is this a lack of technique or a lack of ‘ticker’? During 2011 Quade has shown that he can tackle. There were at least a couple of times when he was caught out of his normal defensive position (i.e. caught where a 10 should be defending) and did manage to pull off some effective and, dare I say it, dominant tackles. So does this mean that he can actually tackle, just doesn’t want to?

I have said since I have seen him playing that it looks like he is scared of contact, even in attack. An aspect of his game that does not seem to have improved and I would go as far to say that it appears to have become more evident with the hits being harder in the top grade. Scott or RGS might have some messures of this and if it is justified or not. This has then developed into his Hail-Mary, pass at any cost, low percentage off loads and plays. Why would that be? And how do you get the attitude of a Berrick Barnes or Ant Fangia into him?

Now I am not saying that either the afore mentioned has an impeccable defensive style\strategy. The amount of time that BB spent not quite knowing where he was during the last super season showed that perhaps his technique needed a little work. Ditto for TPN. However, none can fault their enthusiasm for wanting to get the job done. At least with BB, JOC (James O'Connor), and many others, we can be confident they will take the contact and recycle the ball in attack if there is not a viable alternative option.

So for all you coaches out there (armchair or otherwise) :- How do you encourage someone to make the tackle, take the contact, or generally get involved in the physical aspects of the game?

I have an exercise for QC (Quade Cooper) – Imagine that every player you are going to tackle is Ritchie. But that might be counter productive as then he will have in the back of his mind the fact that the rest of the team is going to take their pound of flesh when they get the chance.

F

finn1hardnut

im playing scrum half in 2012, but before the season starts our team is going on tour. i've been selected to play wing, and have not played as a winger for a couple of years. so i was wondering what are some tips to play winger, where should i go, what should i do, what is my role etc.
Also i was wondering about little tips to play scrum half, i know the generally gist, but a few tips of what the greats did or whateva would be good just to have up my sleeve. thanks

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
My simple tips for new wingers are
In attack 1) If you are on the openside continue to support on the end of the attacking backline
2) If you are on the blindside support in depth one pass inside the ball up to about the inside centre.

In defence
1) listen to your fullback and where he wants to position you in defence
2) On the openside- find out what your defensive system is but generally take the last man in attack (find out who is to take the extra man into the backline)
3) on the blindside- cover the inside break- again until about the inside centre.
4) Get back and help your fullback counter attack of any kick
5) Talk to your inside players

For scrumhalf simply
1) develop a quick pass and clearance from the breakdown and set peice
2) learn to communicate particularly with your fly half and ball running forwards

F

finn1hardnut

Its a few months until rugby season starts, I was wondering if anyone could send me a good strength workout for legs ect.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So for all you coaches out there (armchair or otherwise) :- How do you encourage someone to make the tackle, take the contact, or generally get involved in the physical aspects of the game?

If you have someone like QC (Quade Cooper) then I reckon its almost all mental: he is extremely co-ordinated so I would not expect that he has a problem with timing his contact.
I would need to know him so I could work out what the issue is and he's getting a bit old to be comforted by "the bigger they are the harder they fall".
In the first place, in rugby (as opposed to league), I dont see any need to worry about big hits and certainly not in his case.
A trick is to make every tackle into something other than a head on tackle - this is comparatively easy for a guy with his pace and other skills. If you can make every tackle from about 45 degrees from the straight ahead on the ball carrier you should be able to time your weight transfer and use his momentum to slightly roll him. if you have your head behind, which is almost inevitable if you approach from 45%, and you time the contact and leg drive you should always fall on top thereby eliminating the thing which seems to most worry tentative tacklers.
I have found this works really well with kids.
I have used it with adults to hone a technique rather than to overcome a deep seated fear because, even at the levels I have coached, I have never really had a player who was so scared that they just couldn't do it.
I dont think this is QC (Quade Cooper)'s issue, by the way, but Im buggered if I can work out why he just wont tackle.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Did the very first intro to coaching last night in England - called 'Rugby Ready'

The very first thing they took us through was the "tower of power", basically the scrummaging body position. It was an hour before we touched a ball. This body position then gets applied to tackling and ruck/mauling

Anyone done the similar course in Aus recently? What's the approach there?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Gagger, whilst a number of us have profound concerns re Deans, I am not sure you are quite ready to come back to Australia in the event of a calling from the ARU. Enthusiasm and a passion for Australian rugby counts for a lot, but perhaps heading up a regional English team would be a sensible first step, then be ready by 2014 say...thoughts?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The very first thing they took us through was the "tower of power", basically the scrummaging body position. It was an hour before we touched a ball. This body position then gets applied to tackling and ruck/mauling

Anyone done the similar course in Aus recently? What's the approach there?

From my knowledge of the Australian Coaching structure (I am a Level II Coach) this body shape should form a core skill for all players. It was about 2005 when I did my Level II but it was a core technique taught to all coaches through the SmartRugby, Level I and Level II Courses.

I recently completed my SmartRugby Course and it was covered off on again. This body shape is the focus of agility, lineout lifting and jumping technique, tackle, ruck etc etc. I don't think there is an hour dedicated to the body position alone, but it is constantly referred to in the course content.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Coaching HCup seems to have done the trick for Link

Yes, indeed, I think the various ARU committees you'd need to get through would see a HCup appointment as the next step in your pathway home. "Tower of Power" looks an impressive start though.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From my knowledge of the Australian Coaching structure (I am a Level II Coach) this body shape should form a core skill for all players. It was about 2005 when I did my Level II but it was a core technique taught to all coaches through the SmartRugby, Level I and Level II Courses.

I recently completed my SmartRugby Course and it was covered off on again. This body shape is the focus of agility, lineout lifting and jumping technique, tackle, ruck etc etc. I don't think there is an hour dedicated to the body position alone, but it is constantly referred to in the course content.

Having just done my reaccreditation online I have the very strong impression that most of the questions I answered were chosen by the ARU's liability insurer.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I have the very strong impression that most of the questions I answered were chosen by the ARU's liability insurer.

Well, that is the point of SmartRugby... it is purely an insurance exercise. Absolute minimum requirement for all players/coaches/referees/managers involved in the game.

sonny crockett

Allen Oxlade (6)
Terrible shame some of the people presenting don't really know what they are talking about, at times it becomes a farce.

Status
Not open for further replies.