• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Switching from league to rugby (and the other way, perhaps to a slightly less extent) is far more than having the right technical skills, athletic ability, whatever.

The motivation of the athlete, his genuine and altruistic reasons for making the switch, are far more important, IMHO.

Playing in the NRL, every second week at home, every other week not far away from home, is vastly different to being in a Super Rugby franchise, being in South Africa for a couple of weeks, and New Zealand for a couple of weeks, every now and then........not to mention the rigours of the international season, if a convert is good enough to make that particular grade. The NRL playing environment probably suits some players better than the rugby environment, and vice versa.

Players are clearly going to do better if they switch when they are young and single.

...and if the reason they make the switch is because they truly want to experience playing rugby and testing themselves in a different code rather than because they can earn more money which seems to be a popular trait among NRL players despite what they may say (read Karmichael Hunt, Folau etc.)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
After watching that tackle Ever,I don't think it would be particularly relevant in union, if any union team I was attached to left player who was being tacklede unassisted like that , some heads would roll. While not saying Gallen wouldn't make it in union, just that tackling style wouldn't. I profess to watching almost zero league so wouldn't know a lot of league players, but sure some would, but always think any playing anywhere but wing generally need a few years to understand unions defense, which is quite strange when so many leaguies are used as defensive coaches. Generally midfield players like Tahu, Cross etc have not been hell of a great converts in my opinion.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Yep. That's a great technique if players run straight at you. And you don't have to then release them immediately. It's also likely to often be called head high, and be much less effective against rugby players who are used to protecting the ball.

The offload in union is more dynamic as well - whereas in league the tackle player is stopped and gets their arms free, in union the offloads are more likely to be in a half broken tackle.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think it's all about attitude and intelligence. I look at some league players and think they could make it purely because they have the work ethic to make it in a different game, and the intelligence to learn from their mistakes.

Gallen doesn't strike me as one of these players.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
When 95% of our sportsmen play other codes we'd be foolish not to look.

There's a massive islander who always carries three blokes over the advantage line and plays for the knights - anyone know his name?

Maybe Antonio Kaufusi?

Tariq Sims would be a good pick up too. Put him in the centres to smash Nonu & SBW.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sam Thaiday would have made a pretty useful 8

Andrew Johns

Thaiday didnt/doesnt (Is the guy still playing?) have the work rate to play no 8 - he is also only 5'11. Prop would have been his rugby position.
Johns, like all mungoball 5/8s, runs to the defensive line too much....you can't take the tackle as a 5/8 in union or you bugger the next phase (evidence: Dan Carter rarely gets tackled) and late passes have a ha bait of not sticking. If you plan to play it at half i have some bad news for you: he aint got the service to play half in union

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
After watching that tackle Ever,I don't think it would be particularly relevant in union, if any union team I was attached to left player who was being tacklede unassisted like that , some heads would roll. While not saying Gallen wouldn't make it in union, just that tackling style wouldn't. I profess to watching almost zero league so wouldn't know a lot of league players, but sure some would, but always think any playing anywhere but wing generally need a few years to understand unions defense, which is quite strange when so many leaguies are used as defensive coaches. Generally midfield players like Tahu, Cross etc have not been hell of a great converts in my opinion.

I reckon Gallen would have been penalised for nearly every one of those tackles in union - and not for not releasing.
That is part of the reason why league followers assume that league tackling is better than union tackling - they are 2 quite different things with different aims and laws.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree - different player from Ray Price altogether. Imagine McCaw without all the breakdown work etc playing league - and that was Clyde.

As a rugby union player Price was a bit like Beau Robinson,

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I disagree. Price played most of his football before league cleaned up its game, Clyde started soon after it was cleaned up. Both were hard running, big tackling and non stop players.

Another league forward who I theoretically could make it in union was Shane Webcke. Ben Kennedy is another, but I'm not sure if he is disqualified given the amount of rugby he played before going to league.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Price was not a "hard runner" if you mean by that that he ran at the defence - remember the swivel: he wasn't big enough to take on players directly he had to be a bit (not much) more subtle about it.
Clyde was 100kg
i reckon price might have been 80kg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
We'll have to agree to disagree on Price - but agree about Webke. Another prop who could have made it as a union prop I reckon was Glen Lazarus.

Ben Kennedy would have been a good rugby player, as he was at Joeys. I thought he was more similar to Clyde than Price was.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I don't really like the guy, but I am certain Brett Stewart could have made it union and would have been world class. Sounds ridiculous I know. I would have been more interested in him maybe 2/3 years ago. He is on his way down now.

The guy isn't particularly quick, agile or strong but he seems to have a rugby brain. The problem there is a massive difference b/w having a rugby brain and a fully-functioning brain. Players that don't have exceptional athletic ability and still find a way to be exceptional are special IMO. To me players like Larkham fit this mold.

The lines he ran for manly were exceptional and would have translated very well into the 15 man code IMO.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
Sam Thaiday. Although he's short for a number 8, the guy is a wrecking ball. The low centre of gravity might help.

Greg Inglis also. I've written this before on this forum, Greg Inglis at full pace is a scary sight. He's skillful and agile as well as being fast and massive.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Brett Stewart: The guy isn't particularly quick, agile or strong but he seems to have a rugby brain. The problem there is a massive difference b/w having a rugby brain and a fully-functioning brain. Players that don't have exceptional athletic ability and still find a way to be exceptional are special IMO

Think you might be underestimating his pace darkhorse. Pretty sure hes considered one of if not the fastest player in the NRL, or at least he was in 08. Had a couple of knee injuries i think but is close to his previous sharpness.