• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Inglis is massive - and skilful - but not that fast even when fully fit. Not that he has to be to be very effective.

He was LG, 08 and before he was rapid. He has never been successfully chased down from behind by a defender which is a remarkable feat.

Now hes fat and has hip problems but before then, well have a look at this

[video=youtube;a_mv9ErPT1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_mv9ErPT1c[/video]

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
dobbie

Yeah - I remember those days when Inglis was trim. He was the best player around then. When I said he wasn't fast even when fit I meant with his present body shape.

He wasn't swift in that race they had for Australia's fastest football player just over a year ago. He was last in 12.5 seconds; so it's a bit hard to believe that nobody ran him down this year. All the same: it's an remarkable stat that nobody has ever run him down.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeh my bad LG, thought you meant he wasn't fast period.

He gave up in that race about 40m in and was in terrible shape. I think they were all a bit out of shape tbh as those times weren't brilliant. I find it hard to believe that im more than half a second quicker than Nathan Gardner (the guys lightning), either our timing methods are shit or the pro's extra weight / lack of fitness made quite a big difference. Probably both!

Would loved to have seen a fit Inglis, Nicky Price, Akuila Uate and Billy Slater in that race.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No worries - I would have assumed that reading what I wrote. I don't watch a lot of league apart from when the Dragons are playing and SOO, but I remember Inglis slicing and dicing the Dragons in his early days for the Storm.

They were respectable times for footballers in that race, especially Turner, Grant and Haynes who have to have union or league bodies to compete in their code. I'm guessing that they were all faster in school if they were training for track, with lighter bodies and having regular practice on accelerations and starting from blocks. Grant ran 10.95 secs as a schoolboy.

Turner said he got his spikes just the night before the race.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
After watching that tackle Ever,I don't think it would be particularly relevant in union, if any union team I was attached to left player who was being tacklede unassisted like that , some heads would roll. While not saying Gallen wouldn't make it in union, just that tackling style wouldn't. I profess to watching almost zero league so wouldn't know a lot of league players, but sure some would, but always think any playing anywhere but wing generally need a few years to understand unions defense, which is quite strange when so many leaguies are used as defensive coaches. Generally midfield players like Tahu, Cross etc have not been hell of a great converts in my opinion.

Yeah i just think given his physique also (which is pretty similar to McCaw and Pocock) he would have been able to get in there and wrap the ball up he doesn't need to do anything more than hold the ball. He is extremely stong. That and he can be a very good ball player, much better in my opinion than the two former. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had they got him earlier.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
i reckon many of the big-name league backs could make it, ie thurston, slater, lockyer, lewis, inglis etc. Forwards is a different story, and that's why Brad Thorn I reckon tops them all.

Might be one of the reasons SBW is in the centres and on the wing. His ability is getting him there, he isn't exactly the fastest bloke for those positions. Im on record as saying i was wrong about him being able to play the game.

Still looks a little lost at the breakdown though.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Thaiday didnt/doesnt (Is the guy still playing?) have the work rate to play no 8 - he is also only 5'11. Prop would have been his rugby position.
Johns, like all mungoball 5/8s, runs to the defensive line too much....you can't take the tackle as a 5/8 in union or you bugger the next phase (evidence: Dan Carter rarely gets tackled) and late passes have a ha bait of not sticking. If you plan to play it at half i have some bad news for you: he aint got the service to play half in union

You need to watch Thaiday more. Has an massive work rate.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe Antonio Kaufusi?

Kaufusi has a rugby background, in fact, when his family moved to Australia he went to what he thought was rugby training at the local club but it was in fact league - at the age of 16, that was the only option he had, so he stuck with it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Agree - different player from Ray Price altogether. Imagine McCaw without all the breakdown work etc playing league - and that was Clyde.

As a rugby union player Price was a bit like Beau Robinson,

Ray Price's defensive work was unmatched, I daresay the best defender of any backrower I have ever seen. I will never forget the job he did on Ian Kirkpatrick at the SCG - Kirkpatrick must have been 20 kgs heavier, and Price just killed him.

He was also very, very tough, he played through his Wallabies tour of the British Isles with a hernia.

B

BRIX

Josh Dugan, 6'2, 93 odd Kg's - kid plays with real spite.

[video=youtube;BGNy4V-iG8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGNy4V-iG8k[/video]

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Kaufusi has a rugby background, in fact, when his family moved to Australia he went to what he thought was rugby training at the local club but it was in fact league - at the age of 16, that was the only option he had, so he stuck with it.
For some reason I am fairly certain he was an Australian schoolby in Rugby, as a backrower from memory.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
He's have to get rid of the ridiculous feet first "tackle" he employs as they score

Im guessing you mean that he has to get rid of the feet first tackle he employs.

Tbh I've watched most of the storm games since 2009 and I cant remember him doing one since he had a nibble at yow yeh before origin in 2010.

When he scored that try against england in 08 (the length of the pitch one) I was so in awe of his speed I had to replay it about 5 times!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Im guessing you mean that he has to get rid of the feet first tackle he employs.

Tbh I've watched most of the storm games since 2009 and I cant remember him doing one since he had a nibble at yow yeh before origin in 2010.

When he scored that try against england in 08 (the length of the pitch one) I was so in awe of his speed I had to replay it about 5 times!

What language did you translate from to come up with that? I just want to know what language I wrote it in.
I dont watch any more of the mungoes than I have to but I thought he did it in state of origin or something this year - google agrees with you