• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can't agree with this enough but I'll also add the group that listen to Alan Jones, John Laws, and theotherfatprickirefusetoname and think they're informed.

And this is why I don't think it's worth trying to convert league supporters to union.. especially in those areas.

I understand the stigma involved with the state vs private association with rugby and the socio-economic divide factors that impact on it but what I don't get is how people can look at both games and not prefer union? Is it a matter of not knowing the rules or is it down to advertising and exposure? I disagree however that we should not try to target league supporters and that some are a lost cause so to speak. We should be all for trying to convert these people, in fact, we should be actively trying to convert the most high profile supporters.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Hey Schadenfreude and Swat, would you like to contribute to this thread and discuss actual athletes? I would happily discuss the points you are making in your own thread.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeah. If you don't like it, don't read it. Simple.
I think a problem with finding league players who might sucessfully transfer to Rugby is the homogenisation of league players, in that they are all big, fast good front on defenders, all good with the ball in the air, etc etc, but few can really ball play like Lockyer, Thurston, Cameron Smith. The game has really evolved away from requiring much of that skill and now the emphasis is on gaining consecutive sets of six because doing so almost ensures a try. Rugby requires more finesse in try scoring.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
id like to see some of the league forwards with a big motor try 6>thaiday?> everything else in the forward packs probably a bit specialized.
a barbarians game should be played in australia and some of the leaguies invited to play> thursten, inglis and slater would be the ones id like to see

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Inglis and Slater would be worth watching. I would have liked Taylor to switch when he talked to the Reds a few years ago. He is a great size and I think he was young enough to make the switch. I have a Qld bias but Hayne would be worth a look too.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Josh Dugan, 6'2, 93 odd Kg's - kid plays with real spite.

[video=youtube;BGNy4V-iG8k]
I remember reading when Dugan was in year 10 at Marist Canberra he was opposed against Kurtley Beale when they played their annual match against Joeys. I think Dugan could have made a great fullback/winger in Union.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Shane Webke @ 3
Gordon Tallis @ 6
John Raper @ 7
Cameron Smith @ 9
Brett Kenny @ 10
Steve Menzies and Gene Miles @ 12 & 13
Billy Slater @ 15

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Kevin Ryan at 8
Dick Thornett at 6
Ray Price at 7
Phil Hawthorne or Arthur Summons at 10
Trevor Allen at 12
Michael O'Connor at 13 and so on...........

This is a pretty stupid thread, frankly. We might just as well have a thread talking about AFL or soccer players who could have played rugby, and quite a few (particularly AFL players), would have been sensational - somebody like Leigh Matthews, for example - I would have him before some of the league players listed above. And Alex Jesaulenko actually was a very good rugby player.

Nowadays, if a player wants a professional career in rugby, and is good enough, there is plenty of room, here, and in other countries. Players who prefer league are probably in the right game for them. Will Chambers, for example, is a star, comparatively speaking, in league. Jarrod Saffy had a couple of seasons in the NRL, and was a regular starter in a premiership winning side. Lote Tuqiri puts his walking stick away every weekend, and hobbles to the ground.

Two different games, frankly, with a similar name, and a few similarities, but many, many differences.