• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'd rather take a punt on someone in the SS,than a fringe player from another code.
Hopefully the NRC will create opportunities for some SS players in Soup Rugby.

T

Train Without a Station

ILTW that is an outdated view. Most of these players in the Shute Shield would be playing NRL if the opportunity was there for them considering so many players grow up playing both codes.

You're essentially disregarding players who have performed in far more professional environments for other players who couldn't make it there.

That's obviously a generalisation as some players are more suited to one code or the other.

T

TOCC

Inu has always been an enigma, some brilliant form mixed with periods of been below standard... Whether thats a reflection of his own personality or the coaches he has played under, i don't know, he might work out well for Stade Francais especially with his goal kicking.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
ILTW that is an outdated view. Most of these players in the Shute Shield would be playing NRL if the opportunity was there for them considering so many players grow up playing both codes.

You're essentially disregarding players who have performed in far more professional environments for other players who couldn't make it there.

That's obviously a generalisation as some players are more suited to one code or the other.
That's not right.
Mungo is not the game of first choice for all dual coders.I know plenty that passed on the opportunity to play Mungo 20's.
They have a good gym program,but they actually de skill their players.
I'm essentially disregarding players,until they demonstrate their bona fides in this game.
That's not unreasonable.
Especially,as we know they have run out of options.
I'm not suggesting they are barred for life,just that they don't leap frog anyone until they have demonstrated they are better in this game.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Still, he's a case study worth having. There's no reason the Force/Rebels, who always have roster gaps, can't start considering making offers towards decent leaguies with skills that we identify as desirable IF this works.

After all, Vuna went okay and he wasn't that much of a standout in league.

Inu is the ultimate footy-playing enigma. When the 'dogs picked him up for minimum wage mid-season from the Warriors & he was nailing sideline conversions like he was Darryl Halligan plenty of people reckoned he was the best mid-season buy in the history of mid-season buys. Shit he even got a Kiwis recall & a proper NRL contract. True to form, however, he's done fuck all since & been terminated/ not offered a renewal. Presumably SF reckon he can help them win a title in season 1 after which they can fuck him off to God Knows FC. Shame really 'cos on his (once in a blue moon) day he was a superlative player.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Karmichael Hunt has been terrific in the AFL this year. He is at least on par with the average AFL player (who have played the game since childhood) and is improving rapidly. I think he will be a star in the next couple of years. Hunt is a genuine athlete and I get the sense that he could succeed in just about any sport he put a serious effort into.

Israel Folau is less of a natural athlete and more someone who is big and fast. He has a year less of AFL than Hunt but I sense that he is less likely to succeed.

Israel Folou... remember that tall dude who swapped to afl?

EPIC WINGER!!!!

actually.. when does issy folou's contract expire. maybe ARU should poach him seeing as he doesnt mind swapping codes for $$

was going through this forum, don't remember posting this one... but maybe i should become a talent scout? you, not so much braveheart

T

Train Without a Station

He said he is less likely to success than Hunt. If Hunt comes to the Reds, is Australian player of the year and pushes himself into the team and dominates the World Cup Braveheart would in fact have been right all along!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
was going through this forum, don't remember posting this one. but maybe i should become a talent scout? you, not so much braveheart

My post was only talking about AFL and the relative abilities of Hunt and Folau to succeed in that game.

I definitely doubted whether Folau would be such a success in rugby union, but not in that post you quoted!

T

TOCC

I still agree with Bravehearts comments, although Izzy has exceeded my expectations I still think Karmichael is the superior athlete with a more all rounded package.

Whether he will be a better player in rugby union is unlikely, Izzy is a superior physical specimen and his attributes suit him perfectly for been a outside back in union..

T

TOCC

Izzy has physical attributes of speed, strength, balance and size which are 1 in a million and perfectly suited to playing as as an outside back in rugby union. Karmichael conversely excelled in other areas, he was a ball player, a play-maker, a kicker and had great vision.

I think Karmichael is the better all-rounded athlete, that doesn't mean he will be a better rugby player though as Izzy's attributes suit his position perfectly.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
That's not right.
Mungo is not the game of first choice for all dual coders.I know plenty that passed on the opportunity to play Mungo 20's.
They have a good gym program,but they actually de skill their players.
I'm essentially disregarding players,until they demonstrate their bona fides in this game.
That's not unreasonable.
Especially,as we know they have run out of options.
I'm not suggesting they are barred for life,just that they don't leap frog anyone until they have demonstrated they are better in this game.

I get the feeling that if it was still kosher for you to ban blokes who are playing league from playing union you would.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not at all.
Not giving them preference or an inside run is not even close to barring them.
It does get under my skin that someone who has failed in League, gets a better opportunity than many who are already excelling in this game.
Quite happy for them to be offered opportunities after they have proved themselves.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
either the opportunity is based on merit or it isn't.

If its based on merit, then it really shouldn't matter what code someone played last winter its just whether they will be able to get the outcome required better then any other option.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
either the opportunity is based on merit or it isn't.

If its based on merit, then it really shouldn't matter what code someone played last winter its just whether they will be able to get the outcome required better then any other option.

I'm not sure you can generate any credit in a sport you've not played. Yes, they share many skills, but once you've played both you appreciate the important differences.

If you'd said Izzy was a Wallaby fullback after his first Super Rugby game, you'd probably have been tarred and feathered. If some league player walks in off the street and starts demanding top-ups, he's probably going to get raised eyebrows unless he's going to bring a shitload of public profile e.g. SBW.

Likewise if Izzy goes back to League, clubs will be lining up to get NRL assistance with paying his salary.