• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I never saw him play. Bunny Reilly was pretty good. So was Dick Tooth. I saw him drop Joe Levula at the SCG, head on, Levula had run about 20 metres. That's the best tackle I have ever seen.

Dick Tooth operated on an arm i broke oh so many years ago.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
That's kind of bath to advertise rugby league.

I don't watch much English union but if they still play the same dull old game plan there not going to get much use out of him. He would be more suited to the wallabies / SA or NZ or even france

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's kind of bath to advertise rugby league.

I don't watch much English union but if they still play the same dull old game plan there not going to get much use out of him. He would be more suited to the wallabies / SA or NZ or even france

Yep. Clearly.

Ben Smith

Frank Nicholson (4)
Havent read any of this thread but Greg Inglis playing 13 for the Wallabies would actually give the All Blacks something to worry about. Combined with Folau at the back... deadly.

With no previous rugby history, i would slot him in there after 1 season in Super rugby. My prediction is he would succeed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Said it on the other "12 Conundrum" thread, but that Tepai Moeroa would have been a great addition.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ofahengaue is apparently miles in front of the rest of the U20's comp in run metres. Hopefully his uncle can have a chat to him about a code switch.

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2014/09/26/big_jo_bracing_for_dragons_fire.html

He was awesome for the Junior Broncos today, one of the main reasons they got back from 6-34 to 32-34. Looked very much like his uncles nephew if that makes sense & would make a good 6/8 for the Reds IMO. Also sensational for JB's were the Nikorima brothers. I'm not sure where you'd play them in the 15-man game but I reckon they'd carve it up in 7's.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Said it on the other "12 Conundrum" thread, but that Tepai Moeroa would have been a great addition.
League suits him better,because it is one dimensional.
He is a strong tackler,but a poor defender.
Every time I have seen him play Rugby he had numerous misreads in every game.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Dick Tooth operated on an arm i broke oh so many years ago.
whatever happened to Bunny Reilly - he was a terrific player - 'old school' like Langlands, Smith and Fulton - just as Fairfax and Schubert were coming on, and IIRC, Fahey.... never ever hear of him since he hung up the boots...

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Been following the ITM Cup and Ryan Tongia of Hawke's Bay has been an absolute revelation on the wing; he's been the comp's top finisher.

Google says he was born in Brisbane, Australia, and played in the NRL and English equivalent league comp. Has also represented Papua New Guinea.

He's only 24 but he's worth a look I reckon - if he isnt signed up already to a NZ Super Rugby team.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wonder if the Burgess twins will follow Sam across to rugby.

Wonder if they love Oz so much now that they'd get passports & play for us?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Success for him will have plenty of his in union and league wondering if they can do it too. Will Izzy be next?

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Any word on what position he'd be playing, and with what team? I've seen Seattle suggested, but not much on position beyond special teams. One article mentioned tight end, but he's a bit short for that, and I'd question anyone's blocking ability who hadn't played gridiron before -- that's not the easiest skill to acquire at the pro level. I'd sooner go with wide receiver or tailback.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apparently he doesn't have a contract. Seems like a longshot unless a team has specifically requested him to join them and it just isn't known yet.

He's had training sessions as a wide receiver and a safety apparently but that was only in Australia before Gridiron Australia decided he was good enough for them to arrange trials in the US for him.