• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
One article mentioned tight end.

They must have been kidding Mizzy, or know SFA about American Football.

If Hayne gets a gig it will probably be as a kick returner on special teams and maybe he can learn to be a halfback, as we used to call the second man through the line, back in the day.

Trialists are a dime a dozen over there and his lack of practical knowledge about a technical game, which is just about all set piece, will tell against him. And some of the attributes he has in rugby league will add no value to his ability in the sport.

Still, he has a dream, and we have to wish him well. Too few of us follow ours and we are the poorer for it.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

If he gets a gig it will probably be as a kick returner on special teams and maybe he can learn to be a halfback, as we used to call the second man through the line, back in the day.

Trialists are a dime a dozen over there and his lack of practical knowledge about a technical game, which is just about all set piece, will tell against him. And some of the attributes he has in rugby league will add no value to his ability in the sport.

Still, he has a dream, and we have to wish him well. Too few of us follow ours and we are the poorer for it.

yeah.
going to be interesting.

i wonder if The Great Cheik might have a word with Hayne's manager about a (highly) paid internship at Leinster on his way home from the USA?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

If Hayne gets a gig it will probably be as a kick returner on special teams and maybe he can learn to be a halfback, as we used to call the second man through the line, back in the day.

My dream is Wallabies world champions for the third time beating to the ABs in the grand final next year. And Jarryd isn't cooperating with that dream.

So, Jarryd: Go to hell

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
i wonder if The Great Cheik might have a word with Hayne's manager about a (highly) paid internship at Leinster on his way home from the USA?

I don't think TGC is too pleased with his old club.

Ex-Leinster captain and new Leinster forward coach Leo Cullen arranged with his old coach, TGC, to watch the Waratahs train at the end of January.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/waratahs-spots-up-for-grabs-in-albury/

A few months later we found out that Kane Douglas had signed for Leinster.

I can't imagine that TGC was party to the Douglas move, nor pleased to hear the news.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think TGC is too pleased with his old club.

Ex-Leinster captain and new Leinster forward coach Leo Cullen arranged with his old coach, TGC, to watch the Waratahs train at the end of January.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/waratahs-spots-up-for-grabs-in-albury/

A few months later we found out that Kane Douglas had signed for Leinster.

I can't imagine that TGC was party to the Douglas move, nor pleased to hear the news.

no, but i bet Leo Cullen was.

ever been to Ireland and traded horses with an Irishman?
that is a learning experience.

TGC would surely forgive Leinster if they delivered a retribalized Jarrod Hayne to him.
i certainly would.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Irsael Folau, Sam Burgess, Ben Te'o, Jarryd Hayne, Sonny Bill Williams, Krisnan Inu, Karmichael Hunt all gone.

But the leaguies will keep telling us it's the Greatest Game of All.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
It will undoubtedly be tough for Hayne to crack it in NFL.
Michael Jordan struggled to crack baseball but he was 31 yrs old when he tried and not at his athletic peak like Hayne is now.
Mike Pyke successfully transitioned from rugby to AFL with the Swans at 25 yrs of age.
Let's for a moment forget he's a league player, as he's retired from that sport for now.
Instead let's back the Australian from a tough single parent upbringing in Minto, in his efforts to take his talents global and into one of the toughest physical sports out there.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Irsael Folau, Sam Burgess, Ben Te'o, Jarryd Hayne, Sonny Bill Williams, Krisnan Inu, Karmichael Hunt all gone.

But the leaguies will keep telling us it's the Greatest Game of All.

I reckon League is a great game, and went to almost as many Roosters games as I did for the Tahs this year, but I hate the way the call it "the greatest game of all" - it just sounds like something dreamed up at an early marketing meeting by a bunch of guys with little imagination and no marketing skills.

I feel similarly about "the beautiful game" (images of fans bashing eachother and yelling racist crap tend to undermine the "beauty" for mine).

All the same though, I don't think we should be too one-eyed and triumphalist toward League right now - particularly on Hayne's defection. If anything Hayne has shown a level of class, humility and courage that reflects well on both him and League, and he's doing that at a time when people are looking at Australian rugby and thinking "sexist, self-entitled, spoiled brats".

As for this topic more generally - all I can say is I'd give my left nut to have Greg Inglis in the Wallabies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon League is a great game, but I hate the way the call it "the greatest game of all" - it just sounds like something dreamed up at an early marketing meeting by a bunch of guys with little imagination and no marketing skills.

Isn't it just because some guy wrote a cheesy song in 1981 called Rugby League Football is the greatest game of all?

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
like rugby the game they play in heaven or whatever.

arguing over marketing slogans is a bit of a meh imo.

IMO if I am running Parramatta I am making a play at Folau not Beale. The thing the ARU is losing is its big carrots of winning a world cup or gold medal are more becoming participating in these things.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Isn't it just because some guy wrote a cheesy song in 1981 called Rugby League Football is the greatest game of all?

The late Jersey Flegg coined the phrase in the 1940s.
‘Jersey’ Flegg, for three decades president of the Australian Board of Control [forerunner of the
Australian Rugby League], was an unashamed lover of the game. In the 1940s, he made public
his love of Rugby League by coining its now famous description ‘the Greatest Game of All’
http://www.publishingalley.com/shop/extracts/OzzyLeagueAnInsideView_sample.pdf

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder how Cooper Cronk would have gone had he stayed in Rugby. I rate him higher than Thurston and Hayne. Queensland lost this year's SOO when he broke his arm. He could have been a handy 12.