• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Personally would love to see rugby overtake league - 20 year dream perhaps....as just find league such a crap game.....need to see rule changes similar to what seen with NRC adopted at Super rugby and international level for that to happen (whether that is realistic don't know) as penalty fess with current rules limits appeal....

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I personally think going for NRL players (with some union pedigree/background) and high profiles is something ARU should continue to ensure key priority. Why? Because they have high profiles in other games which would attract NRL fans to watch and support union games.

Folau huge success...Hunt suspect will be too.even Rogers, Tuquiri and Sailor all helped develop unions profile amongst a NRL fan base that might not have otherwise shown much interest in union.I go to AFL, A League and rugby games...(not NRL as find league boring) but I am type of fan other codes are interested in ie may support AFL or NRL but prepared to support other games..

But when they inevitably return to the NRL, does that do more damage to rugby? Just listening to Tuqiri and Sailor, they don't paint rugby in the best light -- or at least with Tuqiri, the media does it for him. It was rugby's fault Tuqiri didn't return in great shape (so Triple M says), not Tuqiri's for not being professional. And Sailor constantly swings back and forth between talking down the relative weakness of rugby to saying he won't talk bad about rugby to talking about how great he is.

It makes a lot of the Aussie league players who went to rugby for a while look mercenary and like they have little respect for the other code except as a cash machine. We don't know yet what Folau will say, but the two that come to mind who don't talk up or down one code over the other, Sonny Bill and Brad Thorn, aren't Aussies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Recruiting league players has a limited effect IMHO. Even in Australia.

The fact is, if the Wallabies aren't winning big trophies, the casual fans are not turning on or coming to games.

And after recent events, you'd have to wonder if some hard core fans can be bothered. Lot of outrage there. Considering some of the shit league players have done, its pretty amazing to see the differences in psyche.

Its an association thing IMHO - we expect more from the players wearing the national colours. League players fucking up at club level ain't even a thing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I personally think going for NRL players (with some union pedigree/background) and high profiles is something ARU should continue to ensure key priority. Why? Because they have high profiles in other games which would attract NRL fans to watch and support union games.

Folau huge success...Hunt suspect will be too.even Rogers, Tuquiri and Sailor all helped develop unions profile amongst a NRL fan base that might not have otherwise shown much interest in union.I go to AFL, A League and rugby games...(not NRL as find league boring) but I am type of fan other codes are interested in ie may support AFL or NRL but prepared to support other games..
Generally I think the aru's efforts would be better spent early, keeping those guys with union pedigree in the game. The NRC and improved under 20s system are moves in the right direction. Realistically there will never be money for more than one or two high profile converts at once and with them no guarantee of success it's a big gamble each one they chase.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I agree that they should only go after a couple of high profile league names (ie keep chasing the odd folau type superstar with high profile brand appeal) and yes spend rest trying to retain the young ones with union pedigree (been some big losses of great talent coming out of rugby school system) and also using NRC as stepping stone. Been great to see Mcmahon, jones and english benefit from their NRC form to get call ups for spring tour...

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Undoubtedly, the most pointless discussion on this Website.

That by god is a huuuge call!

But to address the question in the thread title: few of last night's 'roos team on last night's performance. (Altho' a few would otherwise be in consideration).

The Kiwis no.7, though, is a different matter. Hell of an impressive player - but maybe more or a 10 rather than a 9 in the XV-a-side code.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That by god is a huuuge call!

But to address the question in the thread title: few of last night's 'roos team on last night's performance. (Altho' a few would otherwise be in consideration).

The Kiwis no.7, though, is a different matter. Hell of an impressive player - but maybe more or a 10 rather than a 9 in the XV-a-side code.

Didn't watch that game last night but if it was Shaun Johnson you are referring to, I've always thought he would be an exceptional union player.

He can step, kick, take the line on, and has a great passing game. Defence is questionable at times but I reckon he would be a similar player to Quade.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
But when they inevitably return to the NRL, does that do more damage to rugby? Just listening to Tuqiri and Sailor, they don't paint rugby in the best light -- or at least with Tuqiri, the media does it for him. It was rugby's fault Tuqiri didn't return in great shape (so Triple M says), not Tuqiri's for not being professional. And Sailor constantly swings back and forth between talking down the relative weakness of rugby to saying he won't talk bad about rugby to talking about how great he is.

It makes a lot of the Aussie league players who went to rugby for a while look mercenary and like they have little respect for the other code except as a cash machine. We don't know yet what Folau will say, but the two that come to mind who don't talk up or down one code over the other, Sonny Bill and Brad Thorn, aren't Aussies.
I think generally players bad mouth whoever is not paying them

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I think generally players bad mouth whoever is not paying them

That doesn't account for the non-Aussie league players who switch codes and manage to keep their cool about their previous code. Granted, they're mainly Kiwis and Poms, so there's not a huge pool to choose from, but the point stands.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
If you are concerned about a league player talking down union when they leave, then the problem isn't the recruiting the league player the problem is either
1 - the right league player and
2 - the reasons they are talking down the code.

I think both codes should be trying to be as strong as possible by buying up the best talent wherever possible and to be honest should have a fair structure so if there is any criticism it looks bad on the player not the organisation.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
If you are concerned about a league player talking down union when they leave, then the problem isn't the recruiting the league player the problem is either
1 - the right league player and
2 - the reasons they are talking down the code.

I think both codes should be trying to be as strong as possible by buying up the best talent wherever possible and to be honest should have a fair structure so if there is any criticism it looks bad on the player not the organisation.
Don't know if you were responding to me, but "the right league player" seems to be what I was saying when I mentioned other league players who didn't talk down whatever code they just left when they switch. As for your second point, the reasons are largely dependent on what media source they're talking to.

From a marketing position, I see why some code-hoppers who are back in the NRL would want to talk down rugby -- that's their immediate competition, and they're in the business of the NRL business, not the footballer business. But for one, that doesn't seem to work too well; the NRL lost three of its marquee players to union this year, one to the NFL, they failed to get a few signature players to return, and they're not getting a hell of a lot of flow back from union. (And isn't there talk of Gloucester going after another Burgess brother now?)

Two, what does that say about the players who leave? If a top-flight NRL player goes off to union, returns to the NRL and talks shit about union, that doesn't do a lot for his credentials. It suggests that he couldn't hack it in the oh-so-hard NRL and needed something cushy for a while -- which is bullshit on its face, considering one of the last big NRL switcher, Lote Tuqiri, couldn't get through more than a handful of PRO12 games before getting injured, twice. Or take Joel Tomkins, who worked to crack the Saracens line-up for a couple years and made three stuttering appearances in the England 1st XV, but had a pretty poor showing and went back to Wigan -- where he started and ended up in the grand final. So from Tuqiri's perspective, what the NRL media has said is that rugby was too soft and made Tuqiri soft -- which, again, is bullshit because Tuqiri has been around long enough in both codes to know what he needed to do to be in shape, and banging reality show hosts instead of training isn't on that agenda. (To be clear, Tuqiri didn't talk down rugby, but the league press did when they talked about Tuqiri's time at Leinster.) But from Tomkins' perspective, he couldn't cut it in rugby but returned to league and thrived. So which is "easier" or "harder?" Neither -- they're different sports, and different athletes with different attributes will succeed or fail at different rates and in different ways. (For what it's worth, I haven't heard one thing from Tomkins about the relative ease, value or difficulty of one code over the other.)

It also suggests that the players who do switch codes and aren't above pissing on another sport they've played aren't really to be trusted. Who's to say they wouldn't do that to another team, or other teammates? What's that say about their integrity? If they decided to switch codes again, how ready would the other code be to take a guy who's on record saying their code is too easy to play?

It's probably in the interests of both codes keep the intercode shit-talking rivalry to a minimum. It's not going to stop code-hopping, and when it happens, both sides can use the code-hopper's experience in some other code -- especially when they return -- as a boon to those athletes' abilities and what they can accomplish.

In a way, it reminds me of the early days of MMA -- is wrestling better than jujitsu, is karate better than boxing, etc. Eventually it reached a point where they all had to be versed in different styles, but each individual fighter put an emphasis on particular attributes. Wrestlers jujitsu guys still need to box and kick; muy thai fighters still need to stuff takedowns, and boxers still need to defend against submissions. Someone like Nick Diaz may not like it, but that doesn't mean his style is "harder" than what the other guy is doing, jut that if he doesn't adapt he'll lose again.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I don't remember Tuqiri ever bad mouthing rugby upon his return. Sailor is just bitter because he was punted from the code.
Tuqiri hasn't, but the league press has on Tuqiri's behalf (but not with his consent -- they're just talking about him, not for him). Mainly it's been on Triple M, and numerous times they've talked about the shape Tuqiri was in when he returned to the Rabbitohs, and they blamed rugby for that.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I just don't think the shit talk that comes from a player leaving your code out does what they do on the field.

From a rugby league perspective, I think its great that the NRL is pumping out big name players that various rich rugby unions want. If they couldn't produce those players that would be the bigger issue.

If the ARU got to a stage where NRL clubs wanted all there players, the ARU is doing pretty good.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You're trying to skew this into your favour somehow, the fact is league players leaves because it doesn't have the global scope of rugby.