• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Bit of an early retirement for the bloke but I guess he has clocked a lot of miles and his "training age" is probably a bit beyond his actual age at this point.

With the amount of $$$ the French clubs can throw at a marquee signing it's gotta be no surprise to the NRL that some of their aging stars will choose to take the comparable pay packet, travel, lifestyle and likely far less stress on their bodies in the twilight years of their career.

They don't have the RWC trump card to keep players around, considering how much of a joke the RLWC is.

T

TOCC

The NRL has that special fund/top-ups they haven't used yet...
Inglis Is the biggest player in the game, they will throw the cash at him to retain him.. And so they should

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ he's contracted through 2016 as well so I'd say this is likely for real.

I'm beginning to agree with the view that whereas the NRL has a war chest for the purpose of retaining their stars, they can't afford to use it in the sense that once they do everyone will start talking about switching to Union to see if they can score some extra NRL $$$$$$$.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The fact that they have it means they'll eventually use it, but they're going to have a hell of a time managing the wage inflation it'll cause.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The fact that they have it means they'll eventually use it, but they're going to have a hell of a time managing the wage inflation it'll cause.

The biggest problem will be internal jealousies between the franchises.

I doubt that wage inflation will be a factor. Inflation is caused by an excess of demand. They seem to have no problems unearthing plenty of young talent to satisfy demand for players.

They can, and will, afford to pay the odd superstar well over the odds. Folau will be the test case, not Inglis.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Agree totally about the jealousy bit.
They have a culture of total selfishness.
I have no doubt every franchise would vote to implement something at the expense of the code,if they perceived they would gain an advantage.

They will squeal like stuck pigs as soon as someone else gets assistance to sign a marquee player.

T

TOCC

^^^^^^^ he's contracted through 2016 as well so I'd say this is likely for real.

I'm beginning to agree with the view that whereas the NRL has a war chest for the purpose of retaining their stars, they can't afford to use it in the sense that once they do everyone will start talking about switching to Union to see if they can score some extra NRL $$$$$$$.

Inglis just isn't 'everyone' though, he is widely regarded as the best in the game, a mantle he has held or challenged for the last 6 years.. Few players have performed as consistently high as Inglis..

You are right though, it does open a can of worms... But Inglis is one of the few players who is worth that 'can of worms'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It will be interesting if Inglis did move to overseas rugby whether he wants to play for the Wallabies.

He could be a player that forces the ARU to reconsider their policy.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
This seemed like the best place for this, the NRL is looking at major changes to the interchange rule, which may have some interesting effects on player recruitment for us:

So why is Broncos coach Wayne Bennett signing and re-signing every super-footed, lithe halfback and hooker possible, including a young fullback from central Queensland whom scouts describe as "electric"?
Because the "Skinny Coach" knows the NRL will drop the interchange numbers from 10 to six, ridding the game of the lumbering giants. He also anticipates the NRL will mandate a two-interchange, two-replacement bench, meaning he can bring utility back Anthony Milford on fresh with 30 minutes left to tear tiring opposition defences apart.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...the-nippy-little-players-20150413-1mjwrd.html

The flow on from this is that those big men may find themselves less valuable and we may see a few of them exploring there options in the future. I know Dave Taylor and Andrew Fifita have both spoken about a possible switch to rugby.

The really interesting part though will be the big 18-20 year olds, coming out of school and still playing both games. There may not be as much interest for them in the NRL and it might open up opportunities for us to sign/hang on to them.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ to be fair Id say Taylor & Fifita talking about rugby was more about screwing a few more $$$$ out of their contract negotiations rather than any genuine interest in switching codes. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, on the other hand, would be worth a punt given his background in our game.

But, yes, anything that makes our game more attractive to the 18-20 yo's coming up through the various systems has gotta be a good thing. You just need to get hold of them while they're still young enough to be taught what proper forward play looks like.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah it's not the established guys I'm interested in so much as the 20 year old versions of those guys. We've been sorely lacking in 6s and 8s in the palu mold for some time now and league snapping them all up is part of the reason.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ I think part of the problem with finding bruising BSF and No8s in the Palu mould has its roots from the junior rugby (& loig) development where too many Coaches focus on winning games rather than skills development. Typically junior and school coaches put the large early developers (AKA Big Boppers) in these positions and then have them simply run over the small kids. Generally works well up to the Under 18's and there is very little you have to teach the Big Boppers to execute that game plan. Therein lies the problem. Once the little kids reach adulthood or their late teens, they are no longer "scared" or incapable of tackling the big boppers.

If the Big Boppers have not been taught any skills apart from "run over the little kids", then at this point (Colts - U18-U21) their effectiveness can be significantly reduced. Many do not have the ability or motivation & dedication to learn the necessary skills to be able to dominate in adult footy and they fall by the wayside.