• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
. and look at how that turned out!
Glass half full view would say JOC (James O'Connor) talented young footballer who lost his way on personal side

Glass half empty view would focus on JOC (James O'Connor)'s personal issues which prevented him reaching his potential but ignoring was ever talented young footballer and wasted talent as a result of personal issues

I am probably better leaning to love league more as too many glass half empty rugby supporters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Glass half full view would say JOC (James O'Connor) talented young footballer who lost his way on personal side

I am probably better leaning to love league more as too many glass half empty rugby supporters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever you think, mate. As for me, I make my own mind up about things, what other posters think is interesting, but the game is the thing. And the game is rugby.

League is as boring as batshit.

T

TOCC

For all this talk about losing Ponga to league.. Players like Izaia Perese get overlooked, he was a rugby league junior, previously been on a scholarship with the North Queensland Cowboys and representing QLD in the U16 State of Origin before been recruited by a rugby union private school.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Mate according to the article he was offered big money from France but opted for League. We were likely never really in it.

I actually think it's a better call long term. Those guys that go to France or Japan first seem to disappear, whereas those that develop here and succeed get an impressive end of career pay day anyway.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Edwin Maka stayed in Melbourne he'd be starting for the Rebels and probably be pushing to be the Wallabies 8 currently (given the injuries) and be the Rebels' first locally developed success.

They just don't develop careers well over there, a young bloke would only end up play 5 games a year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I actually think it's a better call long term. Those guys that go to France or Japan first seem to disappear, whereas those that develop here and succeed get an impressive end of career pay day anyway.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Edwin Maka stayed in Melbourne he'd be starting for the Rebels and probably be pushing to be the Wallabies 8 currently (given the injuries) and be the Rebels' first locally developed success.

They just don't develop careers well over there, a young bloke would only end up play 5 games a year.

I've often wondered what came of Edwin Maka. Surprised he hasn't come home looking to try his luck here.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Then the Rebs should be on the phone to his management starting talks to bring him home. Just finished watching his highlight from the 14/15 Top14 season and for such a big fella he's very mobile. I think he'd do quite well playing in the more open style that Super Rugby fosters.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Then the Rebs should be on the phone to his management starting talks to bring him home. Just finished watching his highlight from the 14/15 Top14 season and for such a big fella he's very mobile. I think he'd do quite well playing in the more open style that Super Rugby fosters.

He's on the Toulouse bench every week, I think he covers just about every position in the forwards (bar hooker).

The fact he's yet to play for Tonga means he either hopes to play for France or Australia, but my bet is France (or he'd be over here).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
He's on the Toulouse bench every week, I think he covers just about every position in the forwards (bar hooker).

The fact he's yet to play for Tonga means he either hopes to play for France or Australia, but my bet is France (or he'd be over here).

As above, he signed a 5 year deal which seems to be nearing its end. Maybe he does want to play for France. But that shouldn't stop anyone here talking to him.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
As above, he signed a 5 year deal which seems to be nearing its end. Maybe he does want to play for France. But that shouldn't stop anyone here talking to him.

True and true. The fact is, a lot of these long deals aren't seen through if either party decides they don't want them to be.

No club wants a player who doesn't want to play for them and vice-versa.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
True, he might be happy in Toulouse/South of France/France/Europe and never plans on coming back to Australia.

But an Aussie eligible 196cm 140kg back row playing Union is someone that the ARU and all the Super Sides should at least be making enquiries about.

Even if nothing comes of it, it's due diligence. Same way I'd be a little disappointed if the Rebels weren't at least having very casual chats with the managers ranging from Sam Johnson to Peter Kimlin to Paul Alo-Emile and to Pat Sio etc. So that if they do want to/are willing to come back, we are ready to start making sensible and realistic offers.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Highlander35 - how does Pat Sio go nowadays? Is he a starter?

I think when he starts Maka actually mostly plays lock. Now that L.Timani is going to move into the back row (it's the right thing for the Rebels to do by him and the Wallabies) he'd be a mighty fine replacement for the role.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
7 games last season. 6 in the league, 1 in the Challenge Cup.

3 so far this season.

I think only one last season was a start.

Between Parisse, Alberts, the other South African and a handful of Frenchies, he's gonne have a hard time IMO.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
7 games last season. 6 in the league, 1 in the Challenge Cup.

3 so far this season.

I think only one last season was a start.

Between Parisse, Alberts, the other South African and a handful of Frenchies, he's gonne have a hard time IMO.

Were they important games? I find in French rugby, that's the real kicker.

I take from the particularly low number they weren't though.

Come home Pat! All will be forgiven.