• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sorry only just saw above post on Kalyn - looks like great minds thinking alike. My post prompted watching Brisbane - Cowboys game which Kalyn was playing

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Korobeite will be a great addition to Super Rugby next year, you can't coach speed and the Storm have done a great job refining his overall game.. Is he worth the amount rugby have rumoured to sign him for though?

In short for superstars like koroibete hell yeh. Can't underestimate value they bring. Studies on Folau shown that. Can he have as much impact as Folau? I believe he can as superb athlete with speed with added advantage over Folau that has union pedigree

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
T

TOCC

Ponga was a league player to start with, he was recruited by a rugby union private school, and then got recruited back to league.

Rugby Union can barely compete when it comes to signing players straight from school, there isn't the money or room within the squads to do so. Squad size limitations mean anyone outside of that squad have their wage earning potential in rugby union limited, alternatively a team could sign him directly into the squad, but you then have the issue of needing to allow that player take 12-24months of development before you could consider including him in the match day 23. Due to injuries and fatigue, Super Rugby teams can't afford to carry a player in their squad who isn't able to start on any given day.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ponga was a league player to start with, he was recruited by a rugby union private school, and then got recruited back to league.

Rugby Union can barely compete when it comes to signing players straight from school, there isn't the money or room within the squads to do so. Squad size limitations mean anyone outside of that squad have their wage earning potential in rugby union limited, alternatively a team could sign him directly into the squad, but you then have the issue of needing to allow that player take 12-24months of development before you could consider including him in the match day 23. Due to injuries and fatigue, Super Rugby teams can't afford to carry a player in their squad who isn't able to start on any given day.
Yes but now at level where he would be threatening wallaby selection. So let's try and poach him back

Thanks I did not realise he played league before churchie. Worth a shot now as Cowboys paid for his development where now worthy of pitch with aru top up dollars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Reds tried to recruit him from school, and reportedly they have also made contact with him again trying to bring him back to the Reds... Its going to be a money thing now, NRL teams place massive value on players like Ponga and Milford, ball running five eights who also play fullback.

I fear rugby might already be priced out of the market, to put it in perspective when Milford signed with the Broncos back when he was still 19yrs old, it was for $450'000/annum. Its not unrealistic to expect Ponga will be fielding offers well in excess of $300k based on future potential.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Let's find some ways of improving our piggies. Forget about the fancy-pants point-scorers for a season or two, and concentrate on the ball-winners.

Get the front eight right and the backline will take care of itself, more or less, particularly now that we have a decent skills coach for the first time in modern history.

If we have money to spend, spend it where it counts.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds tried to recruit him from school, and reportedly they have also made contact with him again trying to bring him back to the Reds. Its going to be a money thing now, NRL teams place massive value on players like Ponga and Milford, ball running five eights who also play fullback.

I fear rugby might already be priced out of the market, to put it in perspective when Milford signed with the Broncos back when he was still 19yrs old, it was for $450'000/annum. Its not unrealistic to expect Ponga will be fielding offers well in excess of $300k based on future potential.
He is now at level that would be threatening wallaby selection now - no hype but reality from someone who follows league.

This is where ARu takes a bigger picture view that he is more than potential but the real deal and provide aru top up dollars

The aru are not going to move forward without taking some risks. If the aru don't provide top up dollars they are missing how much this guy has the marketing potential of Folau.

Aru needs to stop playing safe as this is a war on talent and Cowboys paid nicely for his development.

I am so sick of reading conservative attitudes on this site as got to take some risks with some superstars to create super star appeal for the game.

Ponga is not high risk for fast track wallabies selection. Think big or just don't bother.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is a bit of a stretch to talk about a kid in his first season of NRL having the marketing potential of Izzy.

The underlying issue is that the ARU's financial resources are severely limited. Thinking big is okay, thinking rationally is better when you do not have big resources.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
First season?
It was his first grade debut last night!
Believe me, league under 20's is not the step before wallaby selection!
(Not saying the kid can't play, but let's put it into perspective!)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It is a bit of a stretch to talk about a kid in his first season of NRL having the marketing potential of Izzy.

The underlying issue is that the ARU's financial resources are severely limited. Thinking big is okay, thinking rationally is better when you do not have big resources.[/

This is rational thought. This dude was always hyped and continues to prove the hype is real. He is the best talent under 20 in long time in either league or union in positions he plays / could play in.

Rather than looking at his talent you come back with only had 1 year of league. Wow did we say that about JOC (James O'Connor) when he represented the wallabies at the same age.