• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Eels wouldn't pay as well as a French club could.

In that case, he would play for Fiji. Imagine this backline:

9 Matawalu
10 Ben Volavola
11 Josua Tuisova
12 Nemani Nadolo
13 Vereniki Goneva
14 Semi Radradra
15 Jarryd Hayne

:eek::eek:

Fiji could be World Champion

And this guys could have been Wallabies: Nadolo, Radradra and Hayne :eek::eek::eek:

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Apparently the Tahs are interested in Tupou Sopoaga (Lima's brother).
I don't know much about him

Penrith backrower Tupou Sopoaga looks set to follow in the footsteps of his brother Lima and switch codes.

Tupou, 24, has been languishing in the Panthers’ NSW Cup side following the arrival of Anthony Griffin to the club.

The Cook Islands representative made his NRL debut for Cronulla in 2013 where he spent two seasons before leaving for the Panthers.

Last year Sopoaga made five top grade appearances for the Panthers but, unable to get a look in at NRL level, Market Watch can reveal the NSW Waratahs are in talks with the Junior Kiwi.

His older brother Lima, 25, plays for the All Blacks and helped guide the Highlanders to their first Super Rugby title last season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What's the fascination with failures from the other code?
Happy for them to chase the elite from the other code,but for some reason we only want their rejects?

I think they look at players that they believe have a far higher ceiling in rugby than league who aren't succeeding in league and can be picked up cheaply.

If they sign Sopoaga it won't be for much money. It's not really in the same market as signing an elite player (from either sport).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If the point is to pick up a bargain,IMO they should be recruiting within the game,and give someone an opportunity.
Not pick up someone who had an opportunity & failed in a similar code.
but please, list the attributes that a failed mungo player should demonstrate,that indicates they would have a higher ceiling than strong performers in this code.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If the point is to pick up a bargain,IMO they should be recruiting within the game,and give someone an opportunity.
but please, list the attributes that a failed mungo player should demonstrate,that indicates they would have a higher ceiling than strong performers in this code.

Pragmatically, they've generally been full time pros under a decent system so don't need the months/years of conditioning that even NRC players require to get them up to standard

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Some League player who can't make/stay at the first grade of League:

Joe Tomane, now he's the fastest Union winger in Australia
Nehe Milner Skudder, now he's a starter ABs
Taqele Naiyaravoro, now he's a starter Super Rugby player and a Wallaby
Sam Lousi, a regular reserve at Waratahs squad
Duncan Paia'aua, a regular reserve at Reds squad

Why reject that kind of players? Just because they are Mungos and we are the Rugby Union boys? C'mon on! Australia has almost 500k registered League players. Not all them can make the first grade or play the Origin. There is too much potential to take advantage of

Both are similar sports with similar skills. And someone will say: "The League is just 5 hugs, kick and repeat". Both are similar sports with similar training so most of them have potential to play in our code, to exception of the tight-five where you need special players

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Some League player who can't make/stay at the first grade of League:

Joe Tomane, now he's the fastest Union winger in Australia
Nehe Milner Skudder, now he's a starter ABs
Taqele Naiyaravoro, now he's a starter Super Rugby player and a Wallaby
Sam Lousi, a regular reserve at Waratahs squad
Duncan Paia'aua, a regular reserve at Reds squad

Why reject that kind of players? Just because they are Mungos and we are the Rugby Union boys? C'mon on! Australia has almost 500k registered League players. Not all them can make the first grade or play the Origin. There is too much potential to take advantage of

Both are similar sports with similar skills. And someone will say: "The League is just 5 hugs, kick and repeat". Both are similar sports with similar training so most of them have potential to play in our code, to exception of the tight-five where you need special players
Tomane would have been described a semi regular 1st grader at worst at 21, not a failure.
Milner Skudder played 20's in League, then played a few years of ITM
Taqele is a bit unique,his value add & his deficiencies were obvious.
Lousi pretty much makes my point,as a full time Waratahs squad member would not have made the Marlins side last year.
Duncan hardly makes your point atm.

My point wasn't that no League players should ever be signed.
i think if a player excels in NRL they will excel in Super footy,if they are strong SOO players,they will be Test standard.
I support signing that standard of players,but not the rejects.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It took Tomane several years to establish himself in rugby and until this year he hasn't been an out and out star.

Lousi was obviously seen as having certain physical qualities that they liked and considered to have great potential. He wasn't signed as a marquee recruit and in his second season is just making the matchday 23.

It might be true that there are better locks floating around the Shute Shield now but you'd assume that the Tahs don't see them as having better potential.

You seem to compare all players equally and don't really consider what their salary might be and where they fit into the overall squad plan over the next few years.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Obviously they liked Lousi's body shape,and thought he had potential,otherwise they wouldn't have signed him.
Because on results he'd be packing down in 1's or 2's with West Harbour.
And yeah, I do see players equally, that's why I don't like to see proven failures jump the que.
Cheika is very strong on the physical side of things,and I think overrates the physicality in league today,and thus incorrectly favours failures from that code.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Interesting that Jordan Rapana didn't have much of an opportunity at the Force. He is now voted one of the top 20 players in the NRL

Rapana has been a revelation for Canberra this season, so much so, New Zealand legend Daryl Halligan hailed him for a spot in the Kiwis side for the mid-season Test match against Australia. In his 13 games this season, the 26-year-old has notched up 10 tries, 17 line breaks and a whopping 75 tackle busts — the most in the NRL. The highlight of his year to date would have to be the four meat pies he earned in the Raiders’ 60-6 demolishing of the Wests Tigers in round eight.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
No not really. I hope the take over by the ARU and the alignment of it's HPU will finally bring the results the Force fans deserve.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Maybe the ARU should've had a look at the Storm's other Fijian winger too.

Vunivalu looks like he can play with 8 tries in his first 5 matches and he has a rugby background.

If he keeps the try scoring up, Folau's record for tries in a debut season of 21 will be in danger.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suliasi_Vunivalu

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suliasi_Vunivalu

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Vunivalu still on target to break Izzy's record. Now 16 tries from 10 matches.

Sign him up Reds/Force/Rebels before the French come in. At least he's not still stuck in Auckland.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...u-in-sight-of-folau-mark-20160702-gpwwjp.html

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk