• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I would say RA would ensure he goes no where near the Tahs

Why would RA try and prevent him from going to the Tahs?

From an outsiders perspective it would appear as though the Tahs would be the most logical team for him to play in, whether thats the team he wants to play in is another topic altogether though.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
The biggest thing I saw with the wallabies was the lack of vision from any ball players out there.

The best thing to be in either code is a threat both running and passing the ball. The bigger problem union faces converting a league ball player:-

- Risk - I cant remember the last time it was tried except for benji who went and got fat. Unlike wingers who are just freak athletes, union dont have the greatest record of turning league players into good ball players, imo this is more due to the actual amount of touches you get even playing flyhalf in union... imo the best ball players are playing touch footy, which is again imo is the best place to learn ball skills in game rep situations.
- pay - NRL clubs are at a $10m salary cap plus uncle nicks salary sombrero with clubs getting a $13m grant from the NRL. Ball players are pretty much the difference in a lot of league games, so are you going to be able to outbid a league club.. french union could, japanese rugby might be able to for someone on the old decline, but could Rugby Australia.
- Kicking - league kicking is a lot different to union kicking, I think these could be pretty transferable, but really league wants an adam reynolds type who would probably be the premier kicker in league, who has sublime accuracy and touch short and long. Whereas union game plans more favour a jack wighton / terry campese type who can hoof the ball but has the touch of an elephant when it comes to dropping a grubber in.

The only type of playr I think worthwhile is if you got a shaun johnson type, someone who is a bit on the nose in league for there defence and lack of touches but bring alot of quality to individual plays.

IMO though the most daming thing from the wallabies match was there defence, was scratchy and that comes down to coaching more then buying any players.

S

Show-n-go

Think we'd be silly to go after Latrell, he is rocks and diamonds as a player, doesn't have a particularly good footballers brain by league standards let alone union standards and he seems to have gone and got Mundine in his ear - recipe for disaster

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I watched about 15-20 minutes of league test between Aus/Tonga on Saturday (was real bored) and in that time I saw nothing that indicated one player that had decent skill/brain for rugby, and certainly nothing that would allow me to turn off brain to watch anymore of the sport. Perhaps I picked a bad game?

S

Show-n-go

Well I watched about 15-20 minutes of league test between Aus/Tonga on Saturday (was real bored) and in that time I saw nothing that indicated one player that had decent skill/brain for rugby, and certainly nothing that would allow me to turn off brain to watch anymore of the sport. Perhaps I picked a bad game?

Tad harsh, I think there are at least 2-3 guys in every NRL squad that would make a successful transition to union as either a super player or potential wallaby

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
MK was one of the better wingers at the world cup.

It's possible.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The other two games were worse. The Fiji/Samoa game was particularly poor.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Tad harsh, I think there are at least 2-3 guys in every NRL squad that would make a successful transition to union as either a super player or potential wallaby

No argument there Show, just none that I saw in my admittedly limited viewing on weekend, I sure there are a few that could do it.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Joey Manu has a little brother who plays left centre and by all reports is just as good. They also have Billy Smith. I'd say they would let him go for salary cap relief.

The thing about Mitchell is that for someone so talented he doesn't provide consistency to be a highly paid player and his defensive misreads/errors are pretty big. If someone was realistic, a 4 year deal with incremental pay rises like 650,750,850,850 would be perfect for him and then hopefully in that finally year transition him to fullback

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He’s great - when he’s switched on. Which isn’t often enough IMO.

Now he might come good with maturity - but I’d much rather pass.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Fuck that. He's only interested because the league clubs have reduced their offers. Why aren't they lining up to sign him?

If we bang on about wanting guys who want it, then give one of our biggest contracts to a guy who has never played the game before seems fairly odd.