• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You would think if he wants the $$$, France would be his destination. Aus 7s isn't a large wage for someone

Look at in the context of the Olympics though.. you don’t get a much better stage to inflate your market value besides a RWC, value of going to the Okympics isn’t in the monetary sense, so it’s a subjective decision.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Look at in the context of the Olympics though.. you don’t get a much better stage to inflate your market value besides a RWC, value of going to the Okympics isn’t in the monetary sense, so it’s a subjective decision.

The Eels apparently have offered him $340k a year and he is looking at his options. (Well his manager is)

We don't pony up near that amount for a 7s contract

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The Eels apparently have offered him $340k a year and he is looking at his options. (Well his manager is)

We don't pony up near that amount for a 7s contract

Don’t need to, 7s contract would only be up until July next year. He can easily inflate the rest of his annual income with France or Japan well beyond what the NRL is offering, and still get the experience of the Olympics, which again is an unquantifiable opportunity that’s hard to compare with monetary offers.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
You'd have to think it would be pretty enticing to go to the Olympics next year and then across to France after that. He might also stay loyal to the Eels though, seems to be a pretty good connection between he and the club (they flew his Dad out to see him play etc.).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You'd have to think it would be pretty enticing to go to the Olympics next year and then across to France after that. He might also stay loyal to the Eels though, seems to be a pretty good connection between he and the club (they flew his Dad out to see him play etc.).

And what is the benefit to aus rugby?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
As evidenced by the women’s Olympic 7s team, winning a gold medal is a massive fucken benefit

In what sense? How has the gold medal been the catalyst for improving women's rugby in Australia? A cynic would say that it provides visibility for players to the other codes who are willing to fund domestic competitions properly.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
In what sense? How has the gold medal been the catalyst for improving women's rugby in Australia? A cynic would say that it provides visibility for players to the other codes who are willing to fund domestic competitions properly.

It is not a case of willingness to fund domestic competitions properly, it is all about the relative prosperity of the codes. We are paupers compared to the AFL and the NRL, even soccer is richer and more popular.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think it well and truly has. The participation and visibility of the women's game in Australia has increased massively in the last 3 years in both 7s and 15s.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

In every sense possible, through increased exposure for sponsors, increased exposure of the the sport and code which has seen the explosion in players for women’s 7s in Australia.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Out of all the things you can bag RA about women's 7's certainly isn't it.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Jordan Rapana is having another crack at union, but this time in Japan with Robbie Deans.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...IK8nmLsJg6yaV3AsUAFHetDbT3hcWzsgT2zXLTa88cvUQ

Nothing too exciting there.

As a massive raiders fan, you might be being rough on him depends on how he returns from injury.

Also, he has a good kick on him which well help him on an edge in union, I think his one kick in 2018 was a 40/20.

in 16/17/18 he was probably a top 5 winger, certainly our edge left edge with leilua would have gotten more tries and probably more metres then anyone over that time period I reckon and that was with two garbage years in 17 and 18.

Big thing is he busted his knee at the start of this year and hasn't gotten back to looking anywhere near his full strength, so how good he goes I think is more dependent upon injury.

Also, I think he is a nzer so I am not sure he is much use to the australian team, but international selection being what it is who knows he might be rocking up for Japan.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Watching a bit of the world cup, I think the codes are moving further and further away.

As times goes on, union players are getting bigger and bigger, going for power as players get more time to rest.

League is slowly cutting interchanges down, which is taking the big boppers shannon boyd, junior paulo types who dont have great fitness out. I think its going to be harder and harder to change if players dont do it in the earlier ages.. 18-20...

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Watching a bit of the world cup, I think the codes are moving further and further away.

As times goes on, union players are getting bigger and bigger, going for power as players get more time to rest.

League is slowly cutting interchanges down, which is taking the big boppers shannon boyd, junior paulo types who dont have great fitness out. I think its going to be harder and harder to change if players dont do it in the earlier ages.. 18-20.
Funny, I'd been watching the success that cross field kicks have been having, along with the prevalence of one off hit ups and out the back plays and was thinking the games are becoming more similar!