• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Will Chambers [Storm, QLD] is heading to Japan. His form has been on the slide, imo, for a while and would be unlikely to start for QLD next year so not a bad financial move form him. He's also 31 so there's no danger of him coming to Super and breaking into the Wallabies but it will be interesting to see how someone who's been at the top of League for a while performs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Will Chambers [Storm, QLD] is heading to Japan. His form has been on the slide, imo, for a while and would be unlikely to start for QLD next year so not a bad financial move form him. He's also 31 so there's no danger of him coming to Super and breaking into the Wallabies but it will be interesting to see how someone who's been at the top of League for a while performs.

I assume you know he played two seasons for the Queensland Reds and was part of their premiership team in 2011 (although didn't get onto the field in the final) prior to going to the Storm?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Happy for Japan top league clubs to fill their foreigner spots up with league players and not aussie rugby union players.

As BH81 mentioned, Chambers played a couple of seasons at the Reds, his had more game time in 2010 than he did in 2011, but that was probably more a reflection of the unique style the Reds played that year, rather then Chambers ability, i thought he was a pretty good player and had he stuck with rugby would have been a Wallaby not too long after.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I assume you know he played two seasons for the Queensland Reds and was part of their premiership team in 2011 (although didn't get onto the field in the final) prior to going to the Storm?
Yeah you’re right, I had forgotten about that but then I think it was a pretty forgettable couple of seasons for him. He really only kicked on in League after he returned.

Edit: Adam probably has a better memory of his potential at the Reds than I and I might have sold him a bit short.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah you’re right, I had forgotten about that but then I think it was a pretty forgettable couple of seasons for him. He really only kicked on in League after he returned.

Edit: Adam probably has a better memory of his potential at the Reds than I and I might have sold him a bit short.

No you didn't sell him short UTG , I thought he was pretty ordinary for the reds!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought he was excellent in 2010.

Then he got injured (nasty head knock I think) and seemed to lose all confidence in himself. Defence became a real issue.

From memory the 2010 version of Chambers was verging on Wallabies selection but that may have just been my recollection as a Reds fan.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is he good?

Brilliant under the high ball. Quick but not the fastest. strong in contact. I have never seen him kick or pass a ball (whilst running) And like most Fijians he has probably played a bit of rugby.

Wouldn’t be ahead of Koro or Jordy and Would only be ahead of Hodge if he could kick.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Phenomenal finisher, known for his acrobatic try scoring moves. Virtually impossible to stop from 5m out.
Was a rugby player originally and was in NZ on a scholarship when the Storm poached him to League

I’d be annoyed if we’re back to paying guys to come over from league. Thought we’d learned this lesson before. Put the money into retaining our talent, not buying someone else’s

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is buying a rugby player back from league which to me makes great sense. Hey if league helps pay for the early post school development and then we get him back I am ok with that.

My view is any quality league players with union backgrounds we should absolutely be targeting. Quality is what brings fans to games and we are fighting the war for talent with league where league more than happy to steal our rising stars

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
weren’t RA talking to Mako Sivo last week, now Vunivalu...

Either managers are seeing an opportunity to inflate their players, or RA really want a new Fijian winger.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Vunivalu is essentially Koroibete except he is taller and can jump. 2017 was really his golden season and he hasn't been as good since, imo. Still, I'd love to have him at the Tahs.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Vunivalu is essentially Koroibete except he is taller and can jump. 2017 was really his golden season and he hasn't been as good since, imo. Still, I'd love to have him at the Tahs.

He's quite a different player to Koribete really, has a lower workrate but probably more of a natural footballer. I'd say he'd end up playing 13 if signed for the Waratahs.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
He's quite a different player to Koribete really, has a lower workrate but probably more of a natural footballer. I'd say he'd end up playing 13 if signed for the Waratahs.
His ball skills are absolutely better but I’m not sure he’d be anything else except a frontline winger for a few years, at the least.