• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League really gives me the shits

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Which club?

As for the admin side in a franchise. You never know, may be one of the groups working on pro rugby in the States might succeed and you'll have that opportunity on your doorstep.

Schuylkill River Exiles.

And yeah that's what I'm hoping for, hah.

Every time I watch rugby league it's like watching a girls U-16 team play, nobody can pass and they all suck shit at tackling.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Schuylkill River Exiles.

And yeah that's what I'm hoping for, hah.

Every time I watch rugby league it's like watching a girls U-16 team play, nobody can pass and they all suck shit at tackling.

Schuylkill River, okay.

What drives me crazy about watching League is actually not the game itself (though, I do tend to agree that it can be rather average) but the commentators. I hate the current crop of commentators. They talk complete and utter S$%t.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
whoever commentates now HAS to be better than Ray warren, what an absolute idiot. Unless of course he is still commentating, but if so my point still stands.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Thanks for the kind comments guys. Whilst my thoughts were primarily about the mungo game itself, my bigger concern is the damage it is doing to our community at large. Maybe a stupid statement/sentiment but a lot of kids in who dont necessarily find themselves in the best of circumstances will hold this sport and its superstars up in a shining light and infer that the behaviour and culture associated with it is the norm and should be imitated. Very sad and does us as a wider social society and community no favours at all.

My soapbox is beginning to creak under my weight so I'll get off it for now.

Actually, as much as I detest the game myself, you would actually find that if not for many Junior Rugby League Clubs, many, many suburban kids would find themselves with too much time on their hands, and get into alot more serious trouble...

On the other hand, there is the Top-Flight Level of the Game...
I have never understood RL - even back in the 1970s when they had to stop that TV Programme "RL New Faces", (because there were (way-yyyy) too many Drag Acts), I have found something vaguely 'odd' about the profile of the game... It continues to this day with 'The Footy Show'..

More recent, more lurid, and more serious stories about players engaging in nocturnal activities 'en-masse' one might say - in Hotel rooms, and watching each other, has only served to baffle me as to the Prison-like mentality that seems to pervade the game...

The only shock to me was when they banned Hopoate several years ago, instead of giving him an NRL Coaching Clinic...

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Meanwhile in the game between Manly and Souths the half time score was 0-2. Shortly after halftime a try was scored, but before that the commentators were waxing lyrical about how intense and exciting the try-less first half was. They even spoke about how smart it was to go for a penalty goal rather than a try. I thought these were all signs of a dull game.....

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They are the sign of an empty mind trying to hype up a boring as batshit game of five kick to the equally mind numb punters watching said game of rugby lite.

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
It may not be all that interesting but it is better than watching excreble talent quests, modeling searches, or Teenage vampire or werewolf shows that seem so popular on the TV at the moment.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Loving how League and the AFL are milking the ANZAC legend when those competitions decided to continue through the war years. Some have called for rugby to be played on ANZAC day but I like the fact it isn't. Harkens back to the fact that during WW1 our administrators chose to close down competitions.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
On the flip side the attention and revenue that an honorary ANZAC Aus v. NZ Military XV game could bring would be pretty hard to ignore.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm a bit late here (something my wife has never accused me of), and had previously posted this elsewhere when the ASADA stuff first broke. But it was so fucking good I thought you should all see it too, you lucky buggers:

The game (loigue) is an ordinary product at best, but it features the most over active commentary in sport, constantly striving to convince their audience that it was "unbelievable" and that "you can't DO that!" whenever the ball touches three sets of hands in one move (especially in the first four hit ups).

They claim union has too much kicking, when they're the ones to guarantee you a kick every 6 phases. Most of their tries come from kicks FFS because the simple aim is to grind up for five then see what happens.

The players are homogenous except for the halves, and the skill levels are dire due to the limited nature of the game. Particularly in defensive alignment where any team could break through if they attached two wide of the ruck, because no-one bothers to come up knowing the forwards will own the first few tackles.

It's completely unsurprising that the NRL is now riddled with controversy, because by and large the organisation will whore itself to anyone or anything.

And the clubs are even worse, along with channel nine - look at the shit they're putting up with in the name of SBW

It can definitely scale heights, but by and large it's poor, and the commentators trying to make out it isn't just make it even more unpalatable.

The Clubs, and the NRL, hang a few wicker men up for burning every so often, then let the stars do what they wish. Israel Folau was a golden child when he was coming back from AFL, but as soon as he signed with rugby, they started the articles about just how he and his contacted club go about dodging the salary cap with real estate deals and trust funds.

The only compass they've got is the one pointing towards money.

T

TOCC

Hmm it's a tough one, I don't like to see an organisation exploiting a day of remembrance for marketing purposes.. That's not on at all..

But I don't see the NRL or AFL as doing so by hosting games on that day, as long as they offer the proper respect to the day(which both codes do) then it's ok..

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hmm it's a tough one, I don't like to see an organisation exploiting a day of remembrance for marketing purposes.. That's not on at all..

But I don't see the NRL or AFL as doing so by hosting games on that day, as long as they offer the proper respect to the day(which both codes do) then it's ok..

I think the AFL does a pretty good job of it too.

The hush around the ground when they have a minute silence is amazing for 90,000 people at the G.

Mullos

Stan Wickham (3)
Its the vile & incorrigible culture of the game that gets me from the players, admin, media, coaches and last but not least, their charming fans. The game itself is too simplistic, repetitive and predictable.

Overall Rugby Lite is enough to give diarrhea the shits.

Mullos

Stan Wickham (3)
E

Especially when the Mungoes took advantage of rugby stopping here during the Great War to get their tawdry foothold in. That game they play on ANZAC day every year should be played for a gigantic white feather.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
. That game they play on ANZAC day every year should be played for a gigantic white feather.

The AB's would be upset....that is what is on their jersey??

Just kidding obviously...but it sure looks like it if you don't know what it actually is!

Status
Not open for further replies.