• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League really gives me the shits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
OMG - listen to you guys (middle aged methinks from the leather patch generation). I noted 25000 empty seats at Homebush for the Souths game at Easter - so league like union was obviously hit by everyone being out of town.

There was a capacity crowd at Allianz on Anzac Day, including a bunch of my mates who all played rugby at privileged private schools and have university degrees (must be morons if they enjoy league).

I have friends from same backgrounds watching A-League games - and yes the WSW crowds are more impressive than the Tahs no matter what Mr Barbarian thinks (obviously another old guy) - look at how many made the trips to Newcastle and Central Coast

I might be young but I would have thought bums on seats counted for something when assessing quality of a product.

If you guys can't win your own progeny then you are well and truly effed.

Full disclosure - I also played rugby at a private school and have a university degree. I like AFL and league as well as rugby (OMG).

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
OMG - listen to you guys (middle aged methinks from the leather patch generation). I noted 25000 empty seats at Homebush for the Souths game at Easter - so league like union was obviously hit by everyone being out of town. There was a capacity crowd at Allianz on Anzac Day, including a bunch of my mates who all played rugby at privileged private schools and have university degrees (must be morons if they enjoy league). I might be young but I would have thought bums on seats counted for something when assessing quality of a product.

Out of interest how, do you think that match would have drawn more than 15,000 if it wasn't on ANZAC Day? The crowd could mostly be explained by casual fans wanting to "tick a box" as it is one of the traditional events of the day.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Out of interest how, do you think that match would have drawn more than 15,000 if it wasn't on ANZAC Day? The crowd could mostly be explained by casual fans wanting to "tick a box" as it is one of the traditional events of the day.
Souths v Roosters wasn't on ANZAC day and it drew 36,000 - obviously lots of ticking boxes going on there too.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
[quote="Spieber, post: 475361, member: 12385"]There was a capacity crowd at Allianz on Anzac Day,.[/quote]

That's the match I'm asking you about, Roosters Dragons I believe.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yes, because that is always a fantastic indicator of quality. Which is why only the highest quality music, news, television programs, etc become some of the most popular.

Nicki Minaj. Jersey Shore. Basketball. Examples.

Generational fandom ie league appreciation passed from father to son is a big factor Spieber. If a kid is taught that loigue is the best game ever, who are they to argue otherwise? Like kids being bright up religious the poor little buggers.

But if you want to talk bums on seats, forget the ham fisted job out old boys clubs are doing if it. What is the international growth profile of league versus union?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

Generational fandom ie league appreciation passed from father to son is a big factor Spieber. If a kid is taught that loigue is the best game ever, who are they to argue otherwise? Like kids being bright up religious the poor little buggers.

But if you want to talk bums on seats, forget the ham fisted job out old boys clubs are doing if it. What is the international growth profile of league versus union?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is a little unfair. Like the America's Cup of old, the Loig World Cup has two teams going flat out for the right to win the Runners Up Medal when they come up against the Kangaroos in the WORLD final.

Reactions: BPC

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does it really matter?

If someone else didn't win it from time to time then the total worldwide interest factor would drop from about 10 million sets of eyes to about 6 million sets of eyes.

How many people turned up to watch the current world champion team play the previous world champion? ...... and at what grand Athletic stadium was that gladitorial contest held at?

Didn't we get more people at a recent home and away competition club game?

<YAWN>

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fair enough Spieber, the title of thread maybe a little harsh. It doesn't bother getting the shits over it, I just think so little of the game I find it not worth the effort of having the shits on it. But I will say when I first came to Oz, I half expected to watch a bit, then some bugger gave me a ticket to SOG (super League), and when I went I got so bored I actually left with 10 minutes to go. I think it good to have a game for some (and not all) of the supporters of the game are probably not capable of enough thought process to watch anything else. Funnily enough I have always said if I didn't follow union,I would probably follow AFL as it almost more similar to union than league in the fact that there is always a competition for the ball. But anyway mate everyone is entitled to like or dislike games, and if you into it,good on you!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What about the old classic about why Seagulls fly upside down over Loig games?

Because they are not worth crapping on!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Does it really matter?

If someone else didn't win it from time to time then the total worldwide interest factor would drop from about 10 million sets of eyes to about 6 million sets of eyes.

How many people turned up to watch the current world champion team play the previous world champion? .. and at what grand Athletic stadium was that gladitorial contest held at?

Didn't we get more people at a recent home and away competition club game?

<YAWN>

I think the ANZAC Test in Canberra a couple of weeks ago was pretty close to sold out.

Anyway....I just wanted to point out that NZ is the World Champs at this game as well ;)

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
[quote="Spieber, post: 475361, member: 12385"]There was a capacity crowd at Allianz on Anzac Day,.

That's the match I'm asking you about, Roosters Dragons I believe.[/quote]
I was simply highlighting a game that wasn't on a "special" day that seemed to significantly outdraw the Tahs, seeing as you were discounting ANZAC day crowds.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)

Um - my mates and I all have union following dads.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Fair enough Spieber, the title of thread maybe a little harsh. It doesn't bother getting the shits over it, I just think so little of the game I find it not worth the effort of having the shits on it. But I will say when I first came to Oz, I half expected to watch a bit, then some bugger gave me a ticket to SOG (super League), and when I went I got so bored I actually left with 10 minutes to go. I think it good to have a game for some (and not all) of the supporters of the game are probably not capable of enough thought process to watch anything else. Funnily enough I have always said if I didn't follow union,I would probably follow AFL as it almost more similar to union than league in the fact that there is always a competition for the ball. But anyway mate everyone is entitled to like or dislike games, and if you into it,good on you!

It was also created in jest. You would think such an educated individual as Spieber purports to be would have been capable of comprehending the difference.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Spieber - honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Union fans watch both League and Union.

I agree with most of your points, although these days I struggle to watch League games compared to Union games, which I will watch as much as I can before I have to give the TV up to the wife in the name of fairness. You are not alone with a lot of your views.

I have seen both the vitrolic hatred of League from obsessed Union fans, and Union from obsessed League fans. I give little attention to both, generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.