• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League really gives me the shits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Sully Do it. Do it. He supports the Soap Dodger AND the Gay Gordons. Further he seems to not like watching us fat non-athletic types in scrums.
Holy shit @huge jarse 'unathletic'! I resemble that fatty.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
Sorry boys i shouldn't of tried to stir u boys up. But to criticize rugby league fans as 'gay gordon' seems to be very homophobic and more offensive than anything i said. Now im not going to leave this forum because i think rugby league is better and i would like to have a healthy argument about it

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
GPStyle there is nothing homphobic in my use of the word Gay Gordons, nor is it targeted at RUgby Lite folks. It is far too classy for that.

The Gay Gordons is an old style dance that us old folks used to learn at school during sports lessons when it was raining.

as per the oracle Wikipedia

The Gay Gordons is a popular dance at céilidhs and other kinds of informal and social dance. It is an "old-time" dance, of a type popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, in which every couple dances the same steps, usually in a circle around the room.
The name alludes to a Scottish regiment, the Gordon Highlanders.

There is every reason to associate the term Gay Gordons with the Gordon Highlanders Rugby Club of Sydney. It is all there in wiki.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I admit i believe wholeheartedly that scrums should be abolished from league they are there purely for backs to attack which i believe is rarely used. But i also believe that union should get rid of them just replace it with a quick tap or kick. They serve no purpose

You know, I reckon getting rid of the scrums in league would be a great idea, what you have at the moment is nothing but a farce and I just don't get why you have it at all. It would speed the game up. I mean, when there is a scrum all too often they don't even bother televising it ( I agree, why bother?) and cut to a shot of a player somewhere. It simply serves no purpose.

Yep, a league guy would think we need to remove the scrum. It encapsulates the very difference in attitude between the two games. Remove the lineout, heck, remove the maul and ruck.

Rugby light here we come. No contest.

woopdeedooh.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry boys i shouldn't of tried to stir u boys up. But to criticize rugby league fans as 'gay gordon' seems to be very homophobic and more offensive than anything i said. Now im not going to leave this forum because i think rugby league is better and i would like to have a healthy argument about it

"Homophobic"?

WTF?

I suggest that you research the naming history of the Gordon Rugby Club, instead of casting aspersions around here.

And while you're at it: "shouldn't of" and "im".

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
GPStyle there is nothing homphobic in my use of the word Gay Gordons, nor is it targeted at RUgby Lite folks. It is far too classy for that.

The Gay Gordons is an old style dance that us old folks used to learn at school during sports lessons when it was raining.

as per the oracle Wikipedia

There is every reason to associate the term Gay Gordons with the Gordon Highlanders Rugby Club of Sydney. It is all there in wiki.
haha wow. don't i look like an idiot. Fair enough. But up the Highlanders!!!

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I went out for dinner tonight at a tavern. Near us there were 2 TVs, one was showing the Super Rugby,, the other was showing darts. At 7.30 both TVs were switched to mungoball.
This seems to demonstrate the mentality that exists in many parts of Australia.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Simon "the Wizard" Whitlock from Queensland is performing very well in the World darts scene.

Don't know why you would want to switch. They have some great characters playing this game and some of the contests are very tense.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
I just found this thread... Lol ... made my day

Rugby league does really give me the shits....I love the game they play in heaven

It is great watching a game of rugby where the forwards always push in a scrum , not lean on each other as in ;league...... and eeing a high flying contested line lout... oh yeah

I feel rugby supporters support the game for a genuine love of the game...Where with league it is seen as being the general accreted choice

Go rugby , from the the juniors to the Wallabies....... Go rugby

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
I just found this thread. Lol . made my day

Rugby league does really give me the shits..I love the game they play in heaven

It is great watching a game of rugby where the forwards always push in a scrum , not lean on each other as in ;league.. and eeing a high flying contested line lout. oh yeah

I feel rugby supporters support the game for a genuine love of the game.Where with league it is seen as being the general accreted choice

Go rugby , from the the juniors to the Wallabies... Go rugby

\
I did mean line out ,,,,,,, lout , is what turns up at the average leage natch,

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's laughable when a league commentator screams about what a ''freak'' a certain player is when a pass is popped-up, and yet it happens regularly in rugby!

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
At this point in time i would have to say the quality of rugby league juniors and current first grade players is ahead of the union players. i am happy to be given examples to be proven wrong.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Which qualities, specifically?

I don't doubt that the league talent pool is as strong as ever, and yes probably stronger than union juniors which is largely pointy due to the dominance of private schools. If you have a broader base, you can build a higher peak.

But the skill is being bred out if league except if you wear 6 or 7, or occasionally 9 (very rarely 1). There appears to be two ways to score tries - kick in the air, or kick along the ground. The coming dominance of Islander kids is thing to have massive upheavals for league moreso than union, because of the numbers. The players are getting homogenous in their shape overall, and in their skill levels.

In Union there is still multiple roles, body shapes, and requirements to make it all function happily. This diversity also dilutes the numbers further into categories, where in league you are either one of 2-3 playmakers in the team, or you're not.

Interestingly, I was watching one of the Fox panel shows for NRL and such notaries as Ikin, Kimmorley, and Tallis were discussing the shortage of talent in the current system, holding up certain clubs (think Tigers and Parra) as examples of ordinary lists.

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
Which qualities, specifically?

I don't doubt that the league talent pool is as strong as ever, and yes probably stronger than union juniors which is largely pointy due to the dominance of private schools. If you have a broader base, you can build a higher peak.

But the skill is being bred out if league except if you wear 6 or 7, or occasionally 9 (very rarely 1). There appears to be two ways to score tries - kick in the air, or kick along the ground. The coming dominance of Islander kids is thing to have massive upheavals for league moreso than union, because of the numbers. The players are getting homogenous in their shape overall, and in their skill levels.

In Union there is still multiple roles, body shapes, and requirements to make it all function happily. This diversity also dilutes the numbers further into categories, where in league you are either one of 2-3 playmakers in the team, or you're not.

Interestingly, I was watching one of the Fox panel shows for NRL and such notaries as Ikin, Kimmorley, and Tallis were discussing the shortage of talent in the current system, holding up certain clubs (think Tigers and Parra) as examples of ordinary lists.
yes that is a very fair point that the talent pool for players such as tigers and parra are extremley low. However, you do have to keep in mind that there is 15 teams in australia to spread out the talent. Wheras for union there is only 5 proffessional clubs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The NRL development programme is so far ahead of rugby at the moment. I was flying to Melbourne the other month and was surrounded by three junior Wests Tigers teams fly down for games for the day

The concept of programmes going down to 14 yros is not happening in rugby They all had food and water packs, they were even required to eat and drink by specific times etc etc

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BL1VZXKCEAEy6yv.jpg

Jerry Collins had the whole subtlety thing worked out better.

He also have to play the rest of the game covered in piss.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I went out for dinner tonight at a tavern. Near us there were 2 TVs, one was showing the Super Rugby,, the other was showing darts. At 7.30 both TVs were switched to mungoball.
This seems to demonstrate the mentality that exists in many parts of Australia.

Drinking kills brain cells. When you have killed enough you can understand RL.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What time does the Force v. Lions game start? Will I have something to watch while SOO is on?

Status
Not open for further replies.