• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League really gives me the shits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Watching some of the SOO build up, Queensland are going to win because they have the best players "in the world" in many positions, as ever the world in rugby league is parts of NSW, Queensland, Auckland and Northern England.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Shades of grandeur like the Septics and their World Series of Baseball, that only USA franchises get to play in. Don't invite the Japanese or Cubans cause they might win.

IIRC Gridiron also has a World Series involving the best players <cue Jeremy Clarkson in his best Top Gear voice> "in the world", because the only players in the world are in the USA. Acknowledging that there are pockets of interest in outposts outside mainland Septica where a very social amateur level of gridiron is played.

Don't forget the centre of the Rugby Lite world - Panther's World of Entertainment in Mulgoa Road, Penriff. Put that on your Bucket List.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hugh Jarse - Major League Baseball certainly calls it the World Series, but realistically all the best players in the world play there

The NBA calls their winner World Champions which is probably the most out of kilter with reality seeing as basketball is a pretty global sport and whilst a lot of international players play in the NBA, the leagues in Europe are also very strong. The other thing is that the USA often don't win world basketball championships because the international game is very different to the NBA (less physical in terms of permissable contact, shorter 3 point line).

I don't think the NFL (Grid Iron) calls their winner World Champions. They are just the Superbowl winner.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My understanding is that the "World Series" in baseball got it's name as in it's infancy it was sponsored by a newspaper called "The World".
And if it's not true it's a good story.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My understanding is that the "World Series" in baseball got it's name as in it's infancy it was sponsored by a newspaper called "The World".
And if it's not true it's a good story.
Good thing they weren't sponsored by the Mail, Bugle or Chronicle, else the whole thing would be the Beige Series.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And then we had the World Series of Cricket each golden summer in the 80's and early 90's.

Funny that only three of the cricketing nations in the world ever attended any one "World Series", and one of them was generally there as a patsy to ensure that there was a better than even chance that we would be in the "finals" series of games.:)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And then we had the World Series of Cricket each golden summer in the 80's and early 90's.

Funny that only three of the cricketing nations in the world ever attended any one "World Series", and one of them was generally there as a patsy to ensure that there was a better than even chance that we would be in the "finals" series of games.:)
Well, at least they were national teams. But a valid point, nonetheless. And when 1980s New Zealand played, it was the Beige Series.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Which is a nice segue to the Rugby Lite game tonight.

I think that some one has said that over 1/2 the Soap Dodgers Rugby Lite team are playing in the NRL at the moment. Guess that the 4 Burgess brothers at Souths takes care of a fair chunk of that "1/2 the team".

Like the Septics NBA and MLB claims, the majority of the worlds top Fivekick players are plying their trade in the NRL competition. The Auckland club competition could only be considered to be a feeder competition for the Warriors.

The Northern England competition is an easy superannuation option for Australian players who can't/don't want to transition to Heavensgame.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Don't forget the centre of the Rugby Lite world - Panther's World of Entertainment in Mulgoa Road, Penriff. Put that on your Bucket List.
Interestingly denigrating observation. I guess you think that Roseville and Chatswood RSLs are more appropriate destinations for gentile folk, who cannot spell. A season of David Williamson's The Club starring John Wood kicks off at the Evan Theatre on July 5 - one for all good football conspirators.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Only in league could the captain of the home team in the biggest game of the year unload 4 or 5 punches in front of the referee and still remain on the field. The whole "on report" thing in league is cop out for referees, that should have been a red card and a lengthy ban but the media are delighted at this "great origin moment"! Don't think I'll ever fully understand it

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I dont understand how they can swing forearms at a persons throat/face and call it a tackle. It is just blatant thuggery with zero skill level.

I don't know mate. I imagine it's pretty hard to cop someone flush on the jaw with your forearm when everyone is running at pace.

That sort of stuff takes years of practice to master.

P

Pokinacha

Don't forget this is the pinicle of Rugby League. The best of the best of the best.

It would be interesting to see how many on field at any one time have criminal convictions or arrests for assault. Tweet Tweet and Thaiday must have some.

I pine for the days of Roy and HG and the Festival of the Boot. the only two gentlemen who could make Rugby League and AFL interesting.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Only in league could the captain of the home team in the biggest game of the year unload 4 or 5 punches in front of the referee and still remain on the field. The whole "on report" thing in league is cop out for referees, that should have been a red card and a lengthy ban but the media are delighted at this "great origin moment"! Don't think I'll ever fully understand it
Yes - very unfortunate. I have watched the replay and "the captain" went in with a swinging forearm in the tackle, provoking a reaction, responding with a flurry of punches - methinks premeditated and worthy of a slightly longer spell on the sidelines.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think any of the Champions from any of the other leagues around the world would be able to foot it with the NBA Champs.

While there is a growing number of very good players coming out of more countries around the world, it would be very hard to really challenge the NBA Champs for status of 'World Champion' from a club perspective anyway.

And the NBA has softened it's physicality quite substantially since the great era of the late 80's and 90's. Hand checking etc have all been banned which has opened up a huge advantage for guys like LeBron and Kobe.

Since the US opened up the Olympics to the pro's it's been pretty much their show ever since.

Team USA has dominated the Olympics but have often not won the World Championship.

I guess it is the style of basketball that changes most. With the shorter three point arc and less contact, international basketball tends to be full of teams with four or five good shooters on the court at any one time and a peripheral passing game looking to create an open man for a three point shot.

NBA basketball is far more physical with more points in the paint. I agree it is less physical than the 80's and 90's. There are no longer places for guys like Bill Laimbeer who play contact basketball and just tried to pester the hell out of the opposition with physically aggressive play.

I agree that any club side in the world would struggle to beat the Miami Heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.