• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
How long has that been the case? It's surprising how low they are ranked given the popularity of rugby in schools and a semi-professional league.

It's only a relatively recent occurrence. Several Kiwis who played in the ITM Cup this season play in the Caltex Cup. It's only a sprinkling but they are there and slowly growing.

Part of the reason for the low ranking is favouritism. The Presidents 3 sons are all members of the national team. Players often don't make themselves available particularly when travelling. There's also a significant drop off in numbers from Schoolboys to seniors. A lot of the more talented schoolboys don't always continue to play instead start careers outside of the game.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Awesome. Reminds me of schooldays when the school grounds were closed in storms so having the suspects secretly rendevouz at a far off corner of fetid swamp to bash shit out of each other in the bog and piss and rain. Goddamn why was such bizarre behaviour so much fucking fun, sucks getting old

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Does this count as unexpected?

"France centre Alexandre Dumoulin has revealed that his father is former France captain and convicted murderer Marc Cécillon."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9687494,00.html

I think it possibly does.
Does this count as unexpected?

"France centre Alexandre Dumoulin has revealed that his father is former France captain and convicted murderer Marc Cécillon."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9687494,00.html

I think it possibly does.
I reckon that will get dad a run in Dismal's team in that other thread.
He is assembling quite literally a killer pack!
Makes those wife bashing drunk drivers from the other code look like girlie boys....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Amazing story.

Running the time-line it looks like he was pretty much told "the guy who killed your mother is your biological father". That's gotta mess with your head, I'm amazed the kid's got to where he is.

I reckon that will get dad a run in Dismal's team in that other thread.
He is assembling quite literally a killer pack!
Makes those wife bashing drunk drivers from the other code look like girlie boys..

Pretty sure he's the captain.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Germany v Georgia today in the first weekend of ENC 1a , going to be a tall order for Germany as they have a few injuries to key players .

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hi everyone,

A mate flicked me these links thinking it was something that either myself or some friends would be interested in as he knows us all as mad footy-heads – little does he know that loving rugby doesn’t make you qualified for everything rugby related, otherwise I’d be coaching or playing for the Wallabies by now.

It’s essentially two volunteer positions within Papua New Guinea, one in Rabaul and the other in Goroka, as Rugby Union Sport Development Officers for the PNG Rugby Football Union. All the information is in the links below (see ‘Position Description’), but this is what I’ve picked up by skimming through it:

• It’s a fully funded and organised position, as paid for by the Australian Government.
  • The Australian Partner Organisation is the Australian Rugby Union.
  • Whilst Rabaul is considered a safe town, Goroka is considered ‘medium-risk’, and as such, the volunteers there are supported by a private security company.
  • The Minimum Experience and Qualifications are (copy and pasted from the site):
    • Tertiary qualifications in Sports Management, Program Management, Community Development or a related field or equivalent experience in a related field.
    • One year of experience training/coaching football (Rugby Union) at the grassroots and youth level.
    • One year experience working in sports development.
  • And Desirable Experience / Qualifications are:
    • “C” coaching License in Football (Rugby Union).
    • Experience in the South Pacific or a developing country.
    • Experience in staff training.
    • Experience in coaching women.
The links are below:
http://www.volunteering.scopeglobal.com/assignments/EC0215PG37P
http://www.volunteering.scopeglobal.com/assignments/EC0215PG36P

Even if I could do it, I’m not in a position to just drop everything and head to PNG, but I thought I’d post it here as it probably won’t reach a suitable demographic, interests and skills-wise, solely through volunteering websites.

It could be a good opportunity for anyone looking for some coaching / development experience to put on their CV, for anyone looking to see a bit of the world and experience a bit of cultural free of charge, or for anyone who’s worried about the progress League is making in PNG and wants to join the battle against the dark side of Rugby in far and foreign lands.

Who knows? You could even play a role in producing the next Will Genia, and if you do, make sure you bring him back to Australia with you at the end of the 12 months, as our current one seems to be broken.

If anyone actually ends up applying, let us know somehow as it’d definitely be something I’d enjoy hearing about. I’ve had some mates live over there in the military and on properties in rural areas, and it seems like a strange and fabulous place.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
A world record in Belgium.
Belgian club plans appeal against 356-3 defeat.
Winning team scores 56 tries, and eclipse previous scoring world record from 1984 in the French 3rd Division when Vergt were defeated by 350 - 0. (4 point tries back then).

Read all about it here:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...peal-against-3563-defeat-20150210-13b7f2.html

Small world, not very relevant but I've played against that Belgian team at that pitch as well. It's astroturf, not a pleasant surface. Very well drilled team, not large, but skilled.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The bigger news surely is that the ARU seem to be wanting to play a warm up game against USA prior to the RWC. Seems to me that would be a good option to pursue.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Running the time-line it looks like he was pretty much told "the guy who killed your mother is your biological father". That's gotta mess with your head, I'm amazed the kid's got to where he is.

Pretty sure he's the captain.

I'm certain that it isn't Dumoulin's mother. It was Cecillon's current wife. Dumoulin's mother was never married to Cecillon hence making it possible for him to not know who his father was.

Another part of the story is that when he was a teenager, Dumoulin was at Stade de France or somewhere to watch the league cup final of which Cecillon was captain of one of the team's and had no idea that Cecillon was his father.

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
Attila Rugby Club in Stockholm, Sweden are looking for a head coach. It's a great little club, very central to Stockholm and with a vibrant, diverse community of Swedes and expats.

Email styrelse@attilarugby.com to receive the role description.