• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I question its appeal in the face of 15 man ProRugby getting up and running in the States.

I could see 7s openers for full-on 15s games, but for now, I would rather the U.S. focus on getting at least one competition off the ground before they try to get two different codes running.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, its not really a new format. It's 7s just played over an extended period of play.

That's like saying Twenty20 cricket isn't a different format, that it's just 1 day cricket played over a shorter period of play.

I think it's a pretty substantial difference to be honest. Sevens requires a high level of fitness but it's really all about speed and skill. I think making it more about endurance (even with all the subs) will take something away. Anyway, I guess we'll see. If it attracts $40 million investment I'd be pretty surprised. I suppose it would be a really good sign if it did, but I feel the money could be better directed elsewhere.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
On the ProRugby news. The group behind will be making a formal announcement on Monday (New York time) detailing the league and hopefully teams. Been some suggestion that there will be two teams in the San Francisco Bay Area, one in Denver, Philadelphia and New York while the 6th franchise is still a bit of a mystery. Though, Atlanta has come up and a unnamed city in North Carolina. Dallas been mentioned while Houston won't be present due to the stadium they plan to use being fully booked. A team is expected to enter in the 2nd year from Houston.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think 2 teams in the Bay area will be good. It'll create a local rivalry in an area of the country where rugby is fairly strong.

It'll be interesting to see who is investing in each team. I wonder if any of the English clubs are doing so.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hugh, beat me to it by 1 minute......... ;)

Just a quick correction - it was actually published by The Guardian Australia.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think 2 teams in the Bay area will be good. It'll create a local rivalry in an area of the country where rugby is fairly strong.

It'll be interesting to see who is investing in each team. I wonder if any of the English clubs are doing so.

Well, we now know that there will be a team in San Francisco and another in Sacramento. Sacramento makes a lot of sense. Good crowds for PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) games and a good facility in Bonney Field. Plus, if/when it outgrows it the city are building a 25,000 seater to accommodate a MLS bid in the future.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, we now know that there will be a team in San Francisco and another in Sacramento. Sacramento makes a lot of sense. Good crowds for PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) games and a good facility in Bonney Field. Plus, if/when it outgrows it the city are building a 25,000 seater to accommodate a MLS bid in the future.

That's probably better then. And Sacramento and San Francisco are still pretty close together. Close enough to create a decent rivalry where fans will hopefully travel from one to the other for matches.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting news out of Uruguay. From 2016 they are going to sign 7-10 players on central contracts. As they have a handful of guys based in Europe it'll mean the majority of their test team will be professional (or at least semi-pro) from next season. They'll now be playing 12 test matches a year (Americas 6 Nations plus Nations Cup in June plus 3 matches in November).

They're also going to increase the schedule for their A team (Uruguay XV) to 12 games per year. Not sure what all those games will be but just recently they played in the 3rd division of Argentina's provincial competition (came 2nd - a red card led to them losing their only game which denied them promotion).

So expect Uruguay to improve a fair bit over the next 4 years.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Does the article on Cec Ramalli mean Lloyd McDermott now can't lay claim to be the first indigenous person to play rugby for Australia?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If we ever needed proof that having sevens in the Olympics is going to help grow the game, this should do it. The Russian women's side beat New Zealand 33-7:

http://www.allblacks.com/News/28553/russia-beat-nz-in-day-of-upsets-in-dubai

In the women's Russia is not a minnow, they've been close to the top for a while.

Its a bloody awful prospect for Australia - the Kiwi's will be hurting big-time and will want to take it out on someone, anyone. Oh goody, we play Australia next.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
They're not a minnow but they'd never beaten New Zealand before and yesterday they thrashed them. That may turn out to be a bit of a one off result this year, but it shows what they're capable of and you'd have to say they're a medal threat now at Rio whereas previously they didn't look like they would be. It'd be great to see similar improvement in the mens team!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
This article on the first Aboriginal/Asian Wallaby (Cecil Ramalli from Mungindi - Wallaby #321) is a great read.

The unexpected places bit is that it was published in the Aust edition of The Guardian Newspaper (UK Based).

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...bies-star-and-nagasaki-survivor-cecil-ramalli

A great story, beautifully written, Hugh. Thanks for posting it.

Whilst reading it, I couldn't help but notice the similarities to the story "The death of a Wallaby, 70 years ago today", that I wrote on July 1, 2012.

The comments that I made at the end of my story apply as much to Cecil Ramalli, as they did to Mac Ramsay, and are enhanced by the fact that they were Wallabies together, and were both from country towns in North West New South Wales!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Reports out of Japan suggest that the Top League is about to undergo a restructure to two divisions and a South Korean squad and potentially a Hong Kong team will enter via this restructure.

Was over in Japan recently and caught a bit of rugby on TV. The professional league receives quite good exposure on the Saturday night news (FTA) and in the papers as well. I was also in a bar one night and was watching some rugby on the big screen - the standard looked quite good and I asked the Kiwi barman who the teams were. He told me that it was the University league and was the level below the professional comp. Looked like there was about 15-20,000 at these games.

Nice little touch at the end of games where the teams line up on the 10m lines bow to each other and the the 2 captains go forward and bow to the referee.