• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
They've set up a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/prorugby

"Stay tuned for our formal announcement, coming soon."

Hopefully this is within a week kind of soon and not SANZAR's 'our broadcast deal will be announced soon' kind of soon.

Well, evidently they've already begun operations according to other sources. Based in New York with teams supposedly based in a number of locales across Nth America.

According to a poster on Reddit (do take what you will from that) this is backed by notable Rugby people in the US and is 100% a go.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
Look like, as with Soccer, the Gulf money is coming into T14 Club rugby - this report in French Press today

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/pro-d...e-sous-pavillon-qatari_sto4979114/story.shtml

Google translate-ish

"Last updated 1 hour ago - Published on 05/11/2015 at 10:30
Qatari flag in Narbonne?

According to the Independent daily newspaper, a Qatari investor will wish to buy the club from Narbonne. "Qatar Investment Fund", represented by Jihad Manai, would have met the various owners of Narbonne Rugby,and whose mayor is Didier Mouly. The latter calls this opportunity "huge" according to our colleagues.
A reconciliation between the club and the Aude investment fund (different from QSI, owner PSG football) which the president and owner of the club, Rocky Elsom, would not discuss. But the goal is to target the recovery of Narbonne in the Top 14, and to rebuild a stronghold of rugby in France."

Narbonne is a famous old French club - Isn't it an Aussie Company/Consortium running it at the moment?
Justin Harrison is Head Coach I believe?

Interesting times ahead.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Can someone who is across this explain who I should be rooting for? I understand that one of the mobs want to set up a competition that won't release players for international duty outside of world cup years. Fuck those guys.

rooting-chicks_design.png

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Can someone who is across this explain who I should be rooting for? I understand that one of the mobs want to set up a competition that won't release players for international duty outside of world cup years. Fuck those guys.

Wait, what? Are you saying the new U.S. league won't release players for international Tests? Got a link? Because that seems nuts -- it's part of the appeal of the sport.

Sounds very Top 14, and sure they make money, but they turn out some dour rugby.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Wait, what? Are you saying the new U.S. league won't release players for international Tests? Got a link? Because that seems nuts -- it's part of the appeal of the sport.

Sounds very Top 14, and sure they make money, but they turn out some dour rugby.

Well, considering ProRugby is the sanctioned league of both USA Rugby and World Rugby I doubt they'll be holding back players from the national team.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)

I looked into it more - the comp I was thinking of was the NRFL one. They seem sketchy as hell.

I can't find the article I read that in, but this article contains references to some of the club/country tensions that the NRFL would have: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/cc4167de-2635-11e5-bd83-71cb60e8f08c.html#axzz3qfy1w4yU

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Is there supposed to be Canadian teams too? That'd be cool.

There has been suggestion that there will be at least one. Possibly out of Vancouver. Thanks to the CRC they essentially have 3 or 4 squads that could enter. However, according to one source the first season will only have the US based franchises involved. Which will be a shame. The Sports Network (TSN) broadcast every game of the RWC returning really good numbers. They were very happy. Would be great for at least a couple of Canadian squads to be involved to build on that momentum.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I looked into it more - the comp I was thinking of was the NRFL one. They seem sketchy as hell.

They never said they wouldn't release players as far as I am aware. There was speculation earlier this year that unless a player was playing in the sanctioned league they wouldn't be considered for the Eagles.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I should also add, the recent Halloween 7s event held in St Peterburg, Florida was a test event for the American Rugby 7s group. They are planning to launch a Pro Sevens circuit in the US. The event was primarily set up to show off to potential investor in regards to product and they put on a pretty high quality event in terms of standard of play. You had essentially the Argentine 7s team (who won the tournament), the Canadian Men's 7s squad, two teams splitting the Eagles 7s OTC group (Hawks and Falcons) plus a team from Utah, Denver, New York and Ohio.

In terms of their window. Some say 2016 other think 2017 is more realistic.

As for United World Sports and their Super 7s concept (for those unfamiliar with this, it's 7s played over 4 12 minute quarters with unlimited interchange and game day squads of 21 players) that is attempting to formalize the game for a league structure, have entered the investor cycle. They are attempting to raise $40 million dollars. Hell, of a figure.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I hope the Super 7's doesn't happen. Rugby doesn't need another new format.

Well, its not really a new format. It's 7s just played over an extended period of play. Instead of two 7 minute halves you have four 12 minute quarters. That's really the only difference. I've seen the test game they ran last year and it's not too bad but tends to loosen up a lot late into the third quarter and especially in the fourth. So you get some really huge scores. Though to be fair I doubt either team (Ontario Blues and the NY Olympic Development Academy) were able to adequately prepare for the level of fitness require having never played it.

I question its appeal in the face of 15 man ProRugby getting up and running in the States.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well, its not really a new format. It's 7s just played over an extended period of play. Instead of two 7 minute halves you have four 12 minute quarters. That's really the only difference. I've seen the test game they ran last year and it's not too bad but tends to loosen up a lot late into the third quarter and especially in the fourth. So you get some really huge scores. Though to be fair I doubt either team (Ontario Blues and the NY Olympic Development Academy) were able to adequately prepare for the level of fitness require having never played it.

I question its appeal in the face of 15 man ProRugby getting up and running in the States.

They'd only need to have a few US sides to compete in what is essentially an altered version to be able to call the winner the 'World Champion'.