• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
Seems a cooperation agreement from both US and Canadian bodies with MLR is a logical step. Obviously they all want to see how it plays out, but it would be sad to see the domestic league swimming in a different direction to the national bodies. The US international schedule appears to be building nicely, regardless of whether they embrace a sibling relationship with a regional association. I reckon they might benefit from some sort of cooperation with a country like Japan. You'd imagine the Japanese game will get a bit of boast from the World Cup. Japan may have the muscle to do the already competitive Yanks now, but that faceoff would likely flourish over the years. Whatever happens with the US program has the potential to benefit Canada, but I get the sense the national body is stuck in the amateur era. (Argentina could do worse than aligning in some capacity with the North American powers).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Seems a cooperation agreement from both US and Canadian bodies with MLR is a logical step. Obviously they all want to see how it plays out, but it would be sad to see the domestic league swimming in a different direction to the national bodies. The US international schedule appears to be building nicely, regardless of whether they embrace a sibling relationship with a regional association. I reckon they might benefit from some sort of cooperation with a country like Japan. You'd imagine the Japanese game will get a bit of boast from the World Cup. Japan may have the muscle to do the already competitive Yanks now, but that faceoff would likely flourish over the years. Whatever happens with the US program has the potential to benefit Canada, but I get the sense the national body is stuck in the amateur era. (Argentina could do worse than aligning in some capacity with the North American powers).

Argentina competes in the Americas Rugby Championship alongside the Eagles. Though they do so in the form of the Argentina XV. The Eagles have actually been the better team for a few years with Argentina managing to scrap two draws before losing this season. It should be noted that the Eagles only use their domestic players in this competition as well. So are without their European based professionals.

USA Rugby hasn't yet sanctioned MLR but they are very supportive of the league. They are currently dealing with the fallout of several poor business decisions and a largely frivolous lawsuit from the owner of PRO (one of the poor business decisions) so for all concerned benefit they've held off on officially endorsing the league.

It's only a matter of time before Canada join the fold. Japan has been a bit of a rival of the US in recent years. Would be interesting to see both face off prior to the RWC. Both seem to be improving significantly and would be yet another good game between the two.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd agree
as the US develops and MLR develops, hopefully that coincides with a new approach to canadian rugby.

with those two improving, perhaps we could see a rugby championship involving Argentina, USA, and Canada?

i think it sounds like they want to get MLR to 14 teams (D.C, New York, Chicago, Toronto and Vancouver looking to join with probably a Boston and Socal franchise in the mix).

this frees up Sanzaar to revert to normal plus japan and the two tournaments will be operating over the same calendar so you could see a championship tournament between the two eventually (probably a ways away........)

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
either way. canada needs a restructure and bc rugby needs to look at its laws regarding who plays where and when and toronto and vancouver need MLR teams.

both need to focus playing in central vancouver/toronto. rugby is not a suburban sport in either of those cities.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'd agree
as the US develops and MLR develops, hopefully that coincides with a new approach to canadian rugby.

with those two improving, perhaps we could see a rugby championship involving Argentina, USA, and Canada?

i think it sounds like they want to get MLR to 14 teams (D.C, New York, Chicago, Toronto and Vancouver looking to join with probably a Boston and Socal franchise in the mix).

this frees up Sanzaar to revert to normal plus japan and the two tournaments will be operating over the same calendar so you could see a championship tournament between the two eventually (probably a ways away....)

Apparently there will be some news about Canadian involvement coming out really soon.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
Argentina competes in the Americas Rugby Championship alongside the Eagles. Though they do so in the form of the Argentina XV. The Eagles have actually been the better team for a few years with Argentina managing to scrap two draws before losing this season. It should be noted that the Eagles only use their domestic players in this competition as well. So are without their European based professionals.

USA Rugby hasn't yet sanctioned MLR but they are very supportive of the league. They are currently dealing with the fallout of several poor business decisions and a largely frivolous lawsuit from the owner of PRO (one of the poor business decisions) so for all concerned benefit they've held off on officially endorsing the league.

It's only a matter of time before Canada join the fold. Japan has been a bit of a rival of the US in recent years. Would be interesting to see both face off prior to the RWC. Both seem to be improving significantly and would be yet another good game between the two.

Yep, and the Americas comp has improved out of sight in the last year or two and offered great opportunities for teams like Brazil. The US victory over the Argie XV this year was as good an indication as any of the increasing depth and competiveness of the Eagles.
I think there may be something to the idea of teams like the US, Japan, Canada, Argentina and Uruguay cooperating in their quest for development and not just in Tests. It's all a bit premature, but if a professional club culture can be sustained in the US, perhaps a relationship with Japan's Top League could be a long term goal. (Champions Cup format).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Looks like Los Angeles will be announced as the 9th team to join MLR in the next week or so. The backer of the winning bid (there were four) was in Glendale over the weekend for the MLR semi-finals and has indicated via FB that a press alert is due this week with a full announcement likely early next week at the latest. With the recent report that the Ontario Arrows have officially entered talks toward entry in 2019 (they are essentially ready to go on all fronts) we seem to have our 10 teams for next season.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Given they're planning on starting in late January it'll be a tough start for New York and Ontario assuming they'll have to play their first several matches on the road.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Given they're planning on starting in late January it'll be a tough start for New York and Ontario assuming they'll have to play their first several matches on the road.

January 19th according the Seattle Seawolves newsletter. Yeah, it will be a tough start for them. But the MLR would have had to face these issues eventually and it's better than doing a Europe and playing right through the winter. Which isn't really an option in those locations.

There will be a three week gap for the ARC next year so they'll likely only have 3 games on the road to start which isn't too bad.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
There will be a three week gap for the ARC next year so they'll likely only have 3 games on the road to start which isn't too bad.

Yeah okay that makes it a lot better.

Does the new LA team have a name yet? And are you still hearing that Austin will fold/give up their license before the start of next season? I'd read that Dallas were a shot of coming in next year, guess that's not happening now unless they're taking over Austin's license.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah okay that makes it a lot better.

Does the new LA team have a name yet? And are you still hearing that Austin will fold/give up their license before the start of next season? I'd read that Dallas were a shot of coming in next year, guess that's not happening now unless they're taking over Austin's license.

I don't think Austin will fold. I suspect that most of those rumours were coming from those within the Austin Rugby scene who have issues with the Elite's ownership group. Austin stabilised and appeared to find their feet in the competition as it hit the halfway point.

We've heard nothing of Dallas since the beginning of the season. Most are still sceptical on their involvement for next season.

As for a name for LA. All I know is the bid name. LA Coast Rugby LLC. Suspect we'll learn more in the coming week(s).

Edit: It appears the name will be LA Coast Rugby from the conversation on FB.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Geez I just saw on google that Orange County's population alone is over 3 million! Not sure about the name LA Coast, but good luck to them. It's pretty exciting how much interest there is for teams.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Geez I just saw on google that Orange County's population alone is over 3 million! Not sure about the name LA Coast, but good luck to them. It's pretty exciting how much interest there is for teams.

Yeah. There are two competing bids in Vancouver. A group working on getting something going in Sacramento. Boston, Atlanta, Kansas City. Chicago will come online eventually. Columbus is in the early stages of raising the necessary funding but they already have a ready made stadium seating 6,500 in Obetz. There's still interest in Minneapolis.

Rugby Canada now having done something right and cleared any obstacles wants 4 possibly 5 teams in the future as well with Montreal (apparently there's a bunch of clubs in Quebec. Eighty odd), Calgary and Halifax all been suggested.

The biggest issue for the league looks like it could be more about managing the expansion phases in order to prevent diluting the quality of the league too much each time than funding etc. It's rating quite well. Crowds have grown week on week. All good signs.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Are any of them linked to colleges (where i believe there is a pretty strong following), or military which always has a strong rugby link

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
Hope they get Vancouver up -- a traditionally strong rugby community -- and good news on Austin. Such a great city culturally. One of the places in the country that values difference. Rugby has a foothold there, it shouldn't waste it. Suspect the most successful programs will be where there is already a strong foundation but also where rugby enthusiastically embraces its status as a niche sport, pursuing an intense community involvement while offering a funky path to athletic excellence. Would love to see women's squads attached to the clubs (perhaps they are).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Hope they get Vancouver up -- a traditionally strong rugby community -- and good news on Austin. Such a great city culturally. One of the places in the country that values difference. Rugby has a foothold there, it shouldn't waste it. Suspect the most successful programs will be where there is already a strong foundation but also where rugby enthusiastically embraces its status as a niche sport, pursuing an intense community involvement while offering a funky path to athletic excellence. Would love to see women's squads attached to the clubs (perhaps they are).

The man with the connections in Canada has said that Vancouver won't be a go for next season unfortunately but can definitely see them on board for 2020.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Nothing official. But there will be a gathering of 100 of the best College talent next month and all the MLR coaches will be there to help/scout.

They love a good scouting day. I hope they play. Rugby is not the same as NFL in terms or raw metrics being an indicator of ability. Not saying it is direct for NFL but I have played with plenty of people who were great on the field and not blessed with notable speed/strength etc.