• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Still more news. The Houston SabreCats will have their groundbreaking ceremony for the new stadium on the 24th. It's expected to take 3 months to complete. Four if the weather doesn't come to the party. It's the first stage of their overall plan and will feature 3500 seats with the ability to hold up to 5000 if needed. Much like the Seawolves facility. Again it's only the first stage of development with the final plan involving a 10k seat stadium to be implement as demand grows.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've just read a little tidbit from a FB friend of mine that's well connected within MLR (he is one of Houston's commentators and it heavily involved with the team) that the interest emerging from Mexico is legitimate and in the form of the owners of Mexican Soccer Club Xolos de Tijuana who play in the Mexican Premier League.

Well it'd be cool to see it happen. Mexican rugby would obviously benefit a lot from it. Actually the Mexico test team should benefit from MLR even without a local team. There's surely a few players in the MLR already that are eligible for Mexico through parents or grandparents and that will only increase as the competition expands and rugby grows in the US.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pretty exciting news all round i believe. Rugby only needs to be the 5th/6th biggest sport in these countries to have a positive impact (however small it is) on the game as a whole globally.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well it'd be cool to see it happen. Mexican rugby would obviously benefit a lot from it. Actually the Mexico test team should benefit from MLR even without a local team. There's surely a few players in the MLR already that are eligible for Mexico through parents or grandparents and that will only increase as the competition expands and rugby grows in the US.

Los Serpientes are already the best team in the RAN structure. And they do have talent developing with their u19s convincing beating USA South in the RAM SuperWeek U19s over the weekend.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
MLR is looking the goods for the USA. If each club is able to recruit a player of this standard each year I think it will overtake the Japanese top league soon and become one of the top 5 competitions world wide. From there they will keep improving and the big advantage they have over MLS is that in 10-15 years they can potentially be on par with the best in the world.

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/ex-england-full-back-to-play-in-major-league-rugby/

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
MLR is looking the goods for the USA. If each club is able to recruit a player of this standard each year I think it will overtake the Japanese top league soon and become one of the top 5 competitions world wide. From there they will keep improving and the big advantage they have over MLS is that in 10-15 years they can potentially be on par with the best in the world.

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/ex-england-full-back-to-play-in-major-league-rugby/

A lot of good things going on in the league. Houston just had their breaking ground ceremony. They should have their first phase of their stadium up and running by November.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Good article on the development of Dutch rugby: http://tier2rugby.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-impressive-ambition-of-young.html

Hopefully another tier 3 team that can reach tier 2 level in the next few years. I imagine they have a pretty good lineout.

They've emerged from some serious financial issues several years back and have put in place some very impressive structure in terms of player identification and development. They are also in active planning to develop either a domestic or cross-border league of at minimum semi-pro standard with Belgium.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's great. I wonder if it'd be possible to join up with Germany as well and really push for a higher level of professionalism.

They did run a Cup competition several years ago in the form of the North Sea Cup but the German teams despite being the dominant force weren't overly interested in the concept long term. Which is a pity. Things may have of course changed in the ensuing years but for now I think if they are looking at the cross-border league concept (I should note that they are running a very small cross-border Cup competition next year as more or less a feeler) then they should concentrate on both themselves and Belgium who seem to be willing. Let the German come to them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting article today in fairfax media on where rugby fans across the world. There are more rugby union fans in China, Brazil, India and the US than there are people in Australia and New Zealand combined

The top 10 rugby fan nations are now the US, China, India, France, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Italy and Argentina

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...global-top-10-rugby-fans-20180807-p4zvwk.html

I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt. At least until we find out exactly how they came to those conclusions.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So we will likely know exactly how many teams will feature in next years MLR season in early Sept with all of the groups due to put up their bond payment to buy in by the end of the first week of Sept. Most people seem to think it will be at least 9 with some unsure of whether LA will make it in time. We'll have to wait and see. I do know that some teams are selling season packages featuring 8 regular season games.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was interested to read this, good to see NZ doing it's bit helping rugby around the area!! WOB did you read about thei? You see who captained the Manganaitoka Barbararins was? None other than good old Corey Kennet, Levin man is the CEO of the mighty NUA, and man who has spread the rugby gospel around the world!!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Augustin Pichot has been appointed as the CEO of the Latin American branch of Fortescue Metals. Which is interesting. Apparently Forrest or at least one of his companies will also be sponsoring the mooted South American professional league.