• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Augustin Pichot has been appointed as the CEO of the Latin American branch of Fortescue Metals. Which is interesting. Apparently Forrest or at least one of his companies will also be sponsoring the mooted South American professional league.
Still VC of World Rugby? Would have thought both of those roles would be full time but guess not.

Pretty powerful guy for Twiggy to have on the payroll

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Name any board role that is full time.
Plenty of executive directors have a full time roles in a company

Plainly Pichot's is not a full time role - but the chair and vc of World rugby are on 9 standing and advisory committees as well as the exec committee and any number of sub-committees and working groups in addition to the council and general assembly.

It must take up a lot of their time. But not all of their time

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Lots in the early days of him getting involved with the force. Why wasn't he involved earlier too late type chat.

I'm all for him getting involved.
Who from rugby complains he should do more ? Most are excited his involved

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Looks like there will be 9 teams in the MLR next season and the cap will rise to somewhere between $450-500k USD for season two. LA seems to have fallen short of the necessary financial requirements in the time frame provided and will now undertake an exhibition season leading into joining alongside at least DC and quite likely Boston in 2020. They could actually organise a pretty solid schedule. With 9 teams the season will go for 17 rounds with each team having a bye. LA could schedule games against MLR teams in their bye week as well as games against their likely fellow 2020 entrants. Then there's the likes of UOBCOB and Wolf Pack who feature in the pre-season of the inaugural season.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
And there's more news on the Liga Sur-Americano or Sud-Americano dpending on whether it's in Portguese or Spanish. The LSR has seen some reason and will only involve teams from the original 5 nations with Argentina having 2, Uruguay 2, Brazil 2 and Chile and Paraguay 1 each respectively. There was talk of Colombia and Mexico being involved but sense in regard to travel seems to have prevailed for the start of the league.

Apparently telco Personal will be the major backer of the Paraguayan team and WR (World Rugby) will be covering 50% of the overall expenses of the league in it's establishment phase. Which is a good move in my opinion and something they should look at doing in other regions.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
WCR must be a typo of some sort as you mention that Brazil will have 2 teams and then say they won't be involved. Can you clarify please?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So the LSR has been confirmed for 2020. Which gives them about 18 months to get things in place. as above there will be 8 teams spread across five countries with most teams featuring local players supplemented by both Argentine and PI talent. Pretty sure it will be over 14 rounds. So full home and away with a 4 team finals series. Both Colombia and Peru are slated as potential future locations.

Mexico has been left out primarily thanks to a bid that's building for entry into Major League Rugby. Which apparently isn't as far fetched as many may believe. Certainly would be of interest to the league as it would allow them to start to market to a new demographic in the US while not directly impacting on the overall talent pool.

There's even more mention of the potential for an Americas Continental Cup akin to the Eiro structures down the line.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
From the US a youtuber is putting up a number of rugby highlights and is getting massive reactions.

some examples, heaps more than what I have added

Sonny Bill

Sami Rardara

Greg Inglis

Losua Touisova

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
From the US a youtuber is putting up a number of rugby highlights and is getting massive reactions.

some examples, heaps more than what I have added

Sonny Bill

Sami Rardara

Greg Inglis

Losua Touisova

Really like his videos :)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/12/world-rugby-agustin-pichot-international-game-ruin

I didn't know where else to put this but it is very interesting. He all but says that Premiership Clubs and their reckless use of players and money are fucking up rugby in a dramatic way.
He says a lot of good things there - but just reinforces what a spectacularly bad idea accepting Twiggy's mining job was at this stage of proceedings.

I have no doubt of his integrity, but how can he resolve his conflict when he's on the payroll of someone who wants to setup a club based competition?

And it's not even mentioned in the article?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He says a lot of good things there - but just reinforces what a spectacularly bad idea accepting Twiggy's mining job was at this stage of proceedings.

I have no doubt of his integrity, but how can he resolve his conflict when he's on the payroll of someone who wants to setup a club based competition?

And it's not even mentioned in the article?
Are 'the Premiership' and 'Premier Rugby' different things? that is confusing eh. I initially thought he was talking about Engurland and the takeover bid.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/12/world-rugby-agustin-pichot-international-game-ruin

I didn't know where else to put this but it is very interesting. He all but says that Premiership Clubs and their reckless use of players and money are fucking up rugby in a dramatic way.

Geez that very good to read Derpus, very interesting and thanks for posting it! I have to say I agree with Pichot 100% on this, let's hope they can get some reason out of the big club owners!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have been reflecting in recent times how World Rugby from my perspective doing a pretty good job and reading what someone like Pichot has to say in the interview one can perhaps see why as their interests are certainly more aligned it seems in what is best for the world game.

My two cents worth to probably say I think World Rugby been doing a pretty good job in recent years.