• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
to be honest I dont know the eligibility rules regarding schools players, but all i know is , it was all above board, and its his goal to make the all blacks. He aint going back to Germany.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
TBH I think it would've been pretty neat if he had stuck with Germany, particularly if he ends up being (really) good. Would certainly have given German rugby a boost. But it's his choice and he seems to have come to NZ of his own volition. Will keep an eye out for him in the NPC in a few years time.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Honestly, I dont think it would have been good for him to stay in the German system , as much as it pains me to say it. He would have ended up in a french academy or a UK based academy. If he doesnt make the AB's then he is still eligible for Germany and can make that decision when the time comes. Im making the call now though, in 3 -5 years he will be either a) in super rugby or b) in the ABs.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry, I meant stuck with Germany for test rugby representation, not staying in Germany to develop. I've no problem at all with him learning the trade in NZ.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
heres the skinny, some of his team mates from his U18 team are in the wider German Squad for the repechage. I get you , but you cant stop a kid and his dreams, if he makes the ABs it will be the biggest story in German Rugby. There have been others in the past that have made the top french leagues but to have a German All Black would be something.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
heres the skinny, some of his team mates from his U18 team are in the wider German Squad for the repechage. I get you , but you cant stop a kid and his dreams, if he makes the ABs it will be the biggest story in German Rugby. There have been others in the past that have made the top french leagues but to have a German All Black would be something.

Seems like a win/win either way. If he makes the All Blacks it'd generate some publicity for rugby in Germany. And if he doesn't make it he can play for and strengthen the German national team.

On a related note, how do you think Germany will go in the world cup repechage?

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Not sure if this is the correct thread..........

Testimonial match for Rob Horne being played at Twickenham tomorrow (Sat 6/10) - between Leicester Tigers and Northampton Saints

Being shown on live on Fox , I believe - midnight +/-AEST.

Horne played for the Saints - and by all reports was regarded very highly. This is their way of saying thankyou to a player who really showed true commitment when he played for them. A really nice gesture, and I'm sure everyone wishes him well in his life, post rugby & injury.

Apparently the match is one of those really anticipated local derbies - and they are anticipating a large crowd for the game.

The Hound

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
On a related note, how do you think Germany will go in the world cup repechage?

They have a realistic chance . Its been a while since I had posted in this thread so I went back to see what I missed and of course there was discussion on the whole Belgium/Spain/Romania fiasco and how Germany was given a "Bradby" like second shot at it. Not alot about the circumstances behind their poor performance and in fighting amongst the sponsor and Union (some discussion but not alot).

In short the main backer Dr Wild and the DRV (German Union) were at loggerheads over some stuff which I honestly dont know the full details of , but having connections on both sides the general feedback I got was both sides had done some stupid shit and neither was willing to back down. So this essentially had the players go on strike for a couple of tests which lead to the top pro players part of the Wild Academy not being available for the REC this year hence Germanys floggings every game , had this not been the case then a single solitary win may have qualified them directly for the WC with the drama that unfolded .

Fast forward to now , all best players are now available for the repechage and the DRV went out of their way to give them the best possible chance in hiring Mike Ford as HC to work with the previous HC Kobus Potgieter as well as Aussie Paul Healy. They certainly have a fighting chance given their form either against fellow repechage opponnents or those that have played similar .

Eg . Germany defeated Kenya a couple of years ago in Nairobi by 1 point where Kenya hadnt lost for a few years. (Hong Kong had similar results but in Hong Kong)
Germany beat Uruguay 18 months ago or so (who went on to beat Canada to qualifiy directly)

By no means a "just because that happened this will happen" but illustrates that they do have a chance . Another factor is the travel, its not too far to Marseille from Frankfurt (which is where they will be travelling from) so they dont have the disadvantage of having to travel far (see the return leg against Samoa) . Canada go in as favourites but really, any of the 4 teams have a realistic chance .

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Canada go in as favourites but really, any of the 4 teams have a realistic chance .

Yeah I think it could be quite exciting. I'm surprised there aren't some more pros in France, England and elsewhere (maybe even Australia and NZ) with a German parent or grandparent putting their hand up to play for Germany. I'd be shocked if there aren't several top level players who'd be eligible. Perhaps we'll see a few if they qualify.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Yeah I think it could be quite exciting. I'm surprised there aren't some more pros in France, England and elsewhere (maybe even Australia and NZ) with a German parent or grandparent putting their hand up to play for Germany. I'd be shocked if there aren't several top level players who'd be eligible. Perhaps we'll see a few if they qualify.

They've done their homework and got quite a few though already over the last couple of years , plus there is some quality players that will meet the 3 year rule if they do qualify for the world cup that become eligible.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There are apparently 12 (not including the confirmed teams) bids for expansion teams in MLR. We already have Ontario and NY for next season and New England and Atlanta confirmed for 2020. The league wants to go to 14 teams then put a hold on expansion for at least a couple of seasons. The owner of Austin is currently in Pittsburgh posting pics from a very nice 5k capacity Highmark Stadium hinting at Pittsburgh based interests.

Will be interesting to see which bids win out and occupy those three slots for 2021.

I know DC and LA are interested. Halifax, NS as well. From above apparently Pittsburgh. I get the sneaking suspicion that there's movement out of Victoria, BC. Columbus is on the record as well. The guys I know that know what's up are keeping very quiet about what's happening behind the scenes which with MLR means there's a lot going on.

Oh, there's a Americas Combine scheduled for this weekend, I think. May be next weekend. Anyway, it will feature 9 Brazilians, 2 Chilean and several Uruguayan. It more of a formality and about determining where they'll end up from my understanding.

There's a bit of an influx of foreign talent going on. Ayron Schramm from the German national team has just signed with Houston and Con Foley has signed with New Orleans. Seattle are set to announce 4 or 5 international signings including a Fijian international in the coming week or so.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The owner of Austin is currently in Pittsburgh posting pics from a very nice 5k capacity Highmark Stadium hinting at Pittsburgh based interests

Do you think they're looking to move the franchise from Austin to Pittsburgh? I remember not that long ago you thought Austin may not survive. Whatever the case I think they really need to change their name.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Do you think they're looking to move the franchise from Austin to Pittsburgh? I remember not that long ago you thought Austin may not survive. Whatever the case I think they really need to change their name.

A lot of the speculation seems to have come from members of other Austin based clubs that had issues with the teams management. I've been informed that they while not flush are sustainable. I don't think Austin will be moving unless the offer is just too good for their owners to refuse but I do agree that they need to change their name from the Elite.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So, DC is apparently looking to run an exhibition season next year in preparation for entry in 2020. Not official yet and may not be made official for a while but they have received 1200 season ticket deposits and are tracking very nicely.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
A follow up on Anton Segner, the German in NZ high school rugby.

While Segner has represented Germany at the u-16 level, there's no doubting where his future allegiance lies.

"The All Blacks were always my dream, to play for the best and most successful sports team in the world, that's part of the reason I came down here.

"I thought the All Blacks are from New Zealand, so why not come down and have a crack at it here."

Segner's family have also caught the rugby bug, with his parents and two brothers flying to Australia to cheer him on at the most recent tournament.

"Just like me, they didn't know much about it before I started playing, they didn't really know anything about the sport.

"About two years after I started playing my Dad looked into it and started watching the All Blacks play, and Mum's quite passionate about it now."

"It's a bit hard for my Mum with me being on the other side of the world from her, I miss them a lot but I know they're proud of me."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...nton-segner-chasing-his-all-black-rugby-dream

And a video of some of his turnovers.

Certainly seems pretty determined to play for the All Blacks, but will face some pretty damn stern competition.

EDIT: I believe the NZ schools teams also contained Niko Jones, son of Michael. RIP the opposition loosies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A follow up on Anton Segner, the German in NZ high school rugby.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...nton-segner-chasing-his-all-black-rugby-dream

And a video of some of his turnovers.

Certainly seems pretty determined to play for the All Blacks, but will face some pretty damn stern competition.

EDIT: I believe the NZ schools teams also contained Niko Jones, son of Michael. RIP the opposition loosies.

There's also a Dutch teen who's doing quite well in NZ as well.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Ontario re-branded to Toronto has been officially announced for next season. It's been a given they were entering for some time but there was a whole other tax layer involved and both their owners and the MLR wanted to take as much time as needed to ensure that is was taken care of.

DC have also been confirmed for 2020. So they'll join both New England and Atlanta entering in season 3. Again no surprise there. Their owners bought the exclusive tender rights and looked to gauge interest which has been very strong from all accounts taking at last count 1500 season ticket deposits. For reference that as many as Seattle sells and they play in front of full houses.

In a not so great note, there's been word from Utah regarding player payments from former Warriors players. Now, before I continue this isn't actually a salary cap or league issue. From all accounts all financial commitments in relation to the league's responsibilities have been met. This seems to be payments arranged between the team and the players themselves above that of the cap. Not great.