• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Yeah, I'd prefer it to be a JV if it ever happens. Would make for an interesting jersey design debate. I think the easiest would just be green and blue hoops if it ever comes to bare.

Yeah a blue green combo would be perfect really and the JV just makes sense. They could play out of the SFS and you'd think they'd beat the Stars for attendance. Maybe we need to start a petition? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Please don't be true. This is from Tommy the Sauce down the pub. OK from a poster on the Roar.

He posted Nine were going to Offer to ten the Saturday night NRL match which would result in League being broadcast over two FTA stations and me thinks becoming arguably the biggest sports investment by Ten meaning they will push League and cross promote league.

The post read." Channel Ten is set to broadcast 1 game per week on FTA television if the word is correct. As Nine’s David Gyngell has organised to meet new Ten CEO Paul Anderson next week. The game that Nine is set to offload is the Saturday night game"

T

Train Without a Station

Kinda kills the NRL's bargaining power the the remaining games.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
While I don't necessarily agree with TWAS interpretation, IF Ten buy a game from 9, rather than looking to purchase directly from the NRL, their offer will be low if they do choose to bid for more. And given that 7 will likely be putting in a token offer at best (to maintain their AFL and state leagues games, not "splitting viewers"), it means that Fox could offer less, and expect to get them, perhaps even in the realm of $60m annually.

Don't know about that myself, but I can understand his view.

Course someone could come in and fuck things up for everybody. I could imagine that if Foxs offer was sufficiently low, BeIN could potentially throw in a sneaky offer at a little more than them, in exchange for some asia pacific rights too, due to the nature that they're a streaming platform. Of course means they'd have to become a content producer too.

Meh. Who knows. It's all moot.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Shame it was a dud result for Australia, but it highlights that winning (previous week) brings the ratings:

900k not including Regional

T

Train Without a Station

Would have been 54,001 but it was telecast through prime North of Sydney which I cannot get in Brisbane.

100k for Melbourne is good when you consider Brisbane got 162k.

With regional surely that will be over 1M and possibly up to 1.2 depending how n what metro includes (eg where does Brisbane end?)

T

Train Without a Station

Not sure about details but just read on Fox Sports that AFL has signed a $2.5B TV Deal. Wow.

T

Train Without a Station

Pretty much counts 7 out of competing for NRL I'd say.

Only last week there was plenty of NRL hubris about getting the jump on AFL. Certainly hasn't panned out that way.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
The NRL is still ahead on per year FTA. Panic writ large at the AFL press conference today. :D

Obviously, uncle Rupert is a little put out. He and Gil M looked like they hadn't slept for a week.

If only we could get hold of some of this moolah as a sport. Between the AFL and NRL, they are going to freeze out the rest of Australian sport. Not good news for us in rugby.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
By farm Maggie says where does this leave the rest of Australia sport.

We got 200 million about 8% of the AFL deal

T

Train Without a Station

By farm Maggie says where does this leave the rest of Australia sport.

We got 200 million about 8% of the AFL deal

Remember we offer a maximum of 5 local games per week and at times much yes as well as 14 games, not 24 per team.

By sheer volume, we offer less.

Don't get me wrong, AFL is light years ahead of us, but that $500M per year has to support 18 teams, those 18 teams have a list of 44 players also.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to Brad Walter on brisbanetimes.com.au last night the AFL deal is:

$2.508 bIllion over six years from 2017.
$1.3 billion from News Corp. Foxtel (jointly owned by News and Telstra) to maintain rights for all nine games.
$300 million from Telstra to broadcast over its planned Telstra TV service and to handsets and digital devices.
News Corp will also have the right to sub-license a Saturday afternoon game, believed to be worth around $30 million per season.
$840 million in cash and $60 million in contra from Seven for an average of 3.5 matches per round free-to-air.

In comparison, Nine's deal with the NRL is worth $185 million per year for four games per week, plus State of Origin.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...nd-telstra-20150818-gj2648.html#ixzz3jCnWSOYn

half

Alan Cameron (40)
TWAS

All your post highlights, and demonstrates is having so few games in Australia has a impact on the size of our media deal.

Our share is 200 million maybe 250 million [40 to 50 million per year] if the exchange rate keeps moving in our favour. So between 8 and 10 million per team. We spend most of this money on salaries and the ARU.

The AFL at 2.508 billion or 481 million per year have 23.2 m per team and they spend a lot on spreading and developing their game so expect a bigger push in Western Sydney and NSW and QLD as a whole.

I guess Soccer will be next but like us I think they will struggle however they are laying down a national domestic competition which over time should do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.