• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
AFL clubs have always had huge supporter bases, not to mention a lot of wealthy patrons of various kinds.

One huge advantage the AFL (and the VFL in its day) has always had is that it is a game that has been embraced by the whole socio-economic spectrum bottom to top and back again. And it has always had a lot of appeal to the female demographic.

It is played in the private schools, of course, in Victoria and presumably in WA and SA. With inroads into the Sydney GPS system as well.

That is one advantage that it has now and will always retain against loig.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apparently the big difference from the press conference as to why AFL will now succeed in QLD/NSW after decades of failing (check TV don't start on the gates) is that it is "a great game". lol

The AFL - still as delusional as ever, bless 'em.

I heard some AFL bigwig on MMM spruiking an expansion into NZ based on the facts that NZ has several oval-shaped grounds; a strong sporting culture; and while there's a dominant code there's no clear 2nd strongest; ergo AFL is poised to explode onto the NZ sporting scene. Now THAT'S delusional..........

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I heard some AFL bigwig on MMM spruiking an expansion into NZ based on the facts that NZ has several oval-shaped grounds; a strong sporting culture; and while there's a dominant code there's no clear 2nd strongest; ergo AFL is poised to explode onto the NZ sporting scene. Now THAT'S delusional....

Never say never. If he AFL have proven one thing is that they are willing to go the long haul when moving into new markets. That said, it will require long, long, long term investment to crack New Zealand.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's completely laughable. Did he watch the CWC? One of the main ground was Eden Park.

AFL will never make it in NZ for the simple reason that AFL doesn't suit Pacific Islanders.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
League in NZ went mainstream on the back of NZ players being involved in what is now the NRL, soccer on the back of NZ's fairytale qualification for the '82 WC, I just can't see how AFL could do likewise: if there're any kiwis in AFL sure as shit no-one in NZ knows their name & obviously it has no international dimension.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Saints and hawks are both trying hard. think they've got 6 between them as young scholarship players.

Make no mistake, if any of them makes it, they'll be shouting it from the rooftops.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Saints and hawks are both trying hard. think they've got 6 between them as young scholarship players.

Make no mistake, if any of them makes it, they'll be shouting it from the rooftops.

They've got an American bloke making his debut this weekend for St Kilda. Add Mike Pike and a few Irishmen and they're out to takeover the world.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Yep, mighty mighty Josh Holmes. Didn't think he'd make it when he signed, but having seen him live a few times this season, he's made huge strides. Still a bit wobbly with kicking and general positioning, but he's got a lot down pat for a Ruckman.

T

Train Without a Station

League in NZ went mainstream on the back of NZ players being involved in what is now the NRL, soccer on the back of NZ's fairytale qualification for the '82 WC, I just can't see how AFL could do likewise: if there're any kiwis in AFL sure as shit no-one in NZ knows their name & obviously it has no international dimension.

Aaron Edwards was one with PI heritage. I think maybe Scott Harding too.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
As for rugby, we are clearly in trouble in the future given the size of the AFL and NRL deals and the constant hovering around insolvency the ARU likes to engage in.

Super Rugby is going to grow up in the next years. Argentina is a new and big market. Their franchise will be successful, and they have many top players. The basis of their players beat Springboks at Durban few weeks ago, they will be a tough nut to crack. They will succeed and will create a second franchise quickly.

Japan is another new market, which is a bit more complicated but the Japanese have much money, if the Japanese franchise captivates owners of Top League teams will be a big cash injection for the competition.

According Wikipedia, Japan has the fourth largest population of rugby union players in the world and the sport has been played there for over a century. There are 125,000 Japanese rugby players and 3631 official rugby clubs.

The Top League has money, that's the reason why so many top class players are going to Japan for their retirement. If the Sanzar can attract Japanese money, that would be very beneficial.

You got the money from viewers of SA, 600k per game and the fans from UK that are becoming more numerous. Super Rugby is perhaps not a very successful product in Australia but in other countries it is, and the money is divided among the members

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Never say never. If he AFL have proven one thing is that they are willing to go the long haul when moving into new markets. That said, it will require long, long, long term investment to crack New Zealand.

They must be playing on geological timescales then. I remember having some ex-AFL guy come into our intermediate and run a few PE sessions around the game. At the end of the sessions he took some of the more athletically gifted aside and told us we should consider playing AFL instead of rugby. None did, of course.

This was in 2003. If they've been hammering away for upwards of a decade, they've had a very poor return thus far. Added to that, I believe their annual Wellington match has a downward attendance trend. A billion odd dollars might change that, but, as you allude to, it'll take a big effort to make inroads into NZ.

EDIT: As an aside, one of the other boys in the group was Sam Kasiano. Who was as much a beast in intermediate as he is now. Particularly at squash.

T

Train Without a Station

zer0. You miss the point. The AFL have put a team in Western Sydney. The goal is not to convert current fans. The goal is for all the kids under 6 now and yet to be born to grow up being GWS fans. Having a team there helps that.

If they can in 10 more years get GWS to the level of the lowest supported team (besides GWS) that's huge growth in their weakest market.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
zer0. You miss the point. The AFL have put a team in Western Sydney. The goal is not to convert current fans. The goal is for all the kids under 6 now and yet to be born to grow up being GWS fans. Having a team there helps that.

If they can in 10 more years get GWS to the level of the lowest supported team (besides GWS) that's huge growth in their weakest market.

I never mentioned Sydney. I was just commenting on how the AFL has had some presence in New Zealand for at least a decade thus far, and not all that much to show for it.

T

Train Without a Station

Which is a very different situation to what people are talking about.

Some presence and a local team to support are two very different things.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)

Kurt Heatherly at Hawthorn is a former rugby player and the nephew of former all black Geoff Hines. He's apparently close to getting a senior game after a couple of years as a scholarship player, and international rookie.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/australian-rules/news/article.cfm?c_id=20&objectid=10612332

half

Alan Cameron (40)
If we accept the AFL & NRL are the top two it us V Soccer.

A soccer friend just sent me a report FFA have just released about the 2014 / 15 season. They have a lot to sell.

He also assures me they are going to a national 12 team competition in the next media deal.

Its quite sobering to consider how FFA have achieved what they have achieved on such small budgets especially if you undertake the team numbers to media size deal. Up until two years ago they had a 17 million dollar deal. Must stop comparing management teams however I find it impressive especially since Gallop has been there.

To the link what scared me if that is the right word is over 50% of their fan base is under 40.

TWAS I understand a little bit but not a lot on programming and revenue however we seem locked into the Super competition. I just wonder how we get to expand Rugby when we only have 5 teams.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au... Season Report_1t86gtaieg684189pouj0m3o5y.pdf

T

TOCC

Wallabies will be broadcast on Gem, which is a positive as its HD but it's off the main channel..

9 have said every Wallabies match and every finals match live, I don't know if that includes finals matches that the wallabies aren't involved in

Status
Not open for further replies.