• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Well im excited. Have known about 2012 for a while but sidhe suprised me. The latter certainly sounds more sophisticated with all that imagery ect. Anyway with two coming out even if one's shite we can pray the other's good. I've read some of the interviews on TRF and 2012 sounds a little dodgy at times (budget problems). Also there's a liscensing issue and a question i have: if, say sidhe get one license, can 2012 not also get that license? I'm surprised they don't have licenses, so they can milk more cash

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
spikhaza, umm the licensing that Sidhe got from the NZRFU is restricted for their game. This probably means no, NPC teams, NZ super teams, or the all blacks for Rugby 2012.

If you register on http://www.therugbyforum.com/ they have a forum devoted to Rugby 2012, all the updates and Q&A's are on there. You have to be a member to go on the video game forums though.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
mmm yeah that's where I saw the thing that said Rugby Challenge had the rights to the All Blacks and wallabies. Interesting that we may see a right's war spark up because of this.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Been playing rugby 05 for the past couple of days.

I don't like the sound of a split in rights, they should join together with an amicable production deal.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I don't like the sound of a split in rights, they should join together with an amicable production deal.

I hate that they even sell their rights to one company alone as it creates a massive problem. It allows one company to have a massive monopoly over the game and they can produce a shit game yet still reap the rewards because there is no alternative.

Look at the current Football (soccer) situation, FIFA 11 is absolutely horrendous (not a massive soccer fan, but I enjoy playing the game), yet some claim that PES 2011 is the better game which has barely if not any rights to the clubs.

The problem with allowing one company to have full rights is pretty evident in FIFA's case, EA just simply can put out sub-standard games and not give a damn if its not up to scratch.

So, they should simply either not sell the rights and grant permission to both to produce the game for a fee.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
Rugby World Cup Limited has today announced the appointment of HB Studios and 505 GAMES as Official Licensee to exclusively produce Rugby World Cup, the official game of this year's tournament in New Zealand.

Due to be launched on August for the Xbox 360 and PS3, Rugby World Cup is the studio's first Rugby game on this generation of consoles, and aims to provide players with the ability to lead their team through the pool phase progress to the final, and the opportunity to lift the prestigious Webb Ellis Cup.

HB Studios will also give players the chance to play online by challenging other gamers to one-on-one matches on Xbox LIVE and PSN.

"We are delighted that there will be an official game of Rugby World Cup 2011, delivering the ability to boost the tournament experience for Rugby fans whilst growing the appeal and profile of our sport across all markets. This game will capture the emotion, passion, drama and excitement of what is the biggest sporting event of the year," said IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset.

Rugby World Cup 2011 is scheduled for release on August 26th 2011.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/games/4859610/Rugby-World-Cup-2011-announced

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good to hear, still annoying that there isn't a PC version on the way any time soon.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Sidhe have been very generous today:

Cover athletes will be Kieran Read, Mils Muliaina,Sonny Bill Williams.

The game will also come out on the PSP2, as well as the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3

http://nzgamer.com/all/news/5032/rugby-challenge-cover-details-and-new-platform-announced.html

Lastly they have released a wallpaper with some unbelievable graphics. Apparently the player models position is ingame but they have "painted over the player model".
http://rugbychallengegame.com/2011/06/rugby-challenge-wallpaper/

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Some great releases this weak and some more to come as well:

Hb's attempt: Two screenshots released one of which is on facebook and is linked too below. My opinion at the time was that they were a bit underwhelming and thought they could have done better. I have a feeling the game might look a fair bit better than the initial screens so keep an open mind. HB are also at E3 this week showcasing it so watch this space...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=159637314101854&set=a.159637304101855.42642.143146185750967&type=1&theater

Now onto Rug Chug as the sidhe forum users call it.
Screenshots released and my word are they awesome, absolutely amazing graphics for a sports game let alone a Rugby game. This game has the potential to be the best sports game of the summer and I hope the gameplay matches the graphics.

http://rugbychallengegame.com/2011/06/first-console-action-screenshots/

Well now the screens are in what do you guys think?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
It looks incredible, except for their boots on the ground.

I find it amazing that you can see the scar's on doctor squeeky's head.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
A couple of comments from Sidhe were that those screens were taken three weeks ago and apparently the graphics have been tidied up since then.

Also player boots, tattoos and the glitch on SBW' head have been added and removed respectfully so the game should look even better than it does now.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I just saw the graphics from those shots on Rugby Challenge.

To quote a mate of mine, "Boner Achieved"

Let's hope the gameplay lives up to the hype and gives us a rugby game we can be proud of.

I trolled through the details for Rugby Challenge and came up with this:

- Unreal graphics. The shot of AnZ stadium on their site looks on par with the best graphics you will see.
- Loading screen. Depending on what country you are in you will see an opening sequence of a try being scored. In our case the wobs scoring a backline try.
- Licensing = All blacks, Wobs, Tri Nations, Super Rugby, ITM Cup, apparently the "Qantas Cup" meaning it will be a fictional national aus comp.
- More fiddle stuff = like in fifa when it comesup with you controlling some bloke and you can score from the opening menu. except passing in rugby.
- PERHAPS something more than a generic passing system where you press a button. In other words actually guiding the pass.

Here is a list i found of more:

* The Menu will has a favourite team style feature
* Word of multiple European teams being involved
* Teams from the demo are current as of 2 weeks ago
* Earn "Rugby Money" by playing, to unlock new features in the "Rugby Store"
* All Blacks team rating is 95 (the highest team rating in the game)
* Wallabies team rating is 91
* During the loading screen you practice passing skills in 1 or 2 player modes
* Only Ka Mate Haka will feature (So no Kapa O Pango)
* The game will always pick the most relevant player to lead the Haka (In NZGamers test game, it was Rico Gear)
* No other Haka type challenges from other National teams
* Cannot unbound players from a ruck
* When kicking, the wind is shown dimensionally on the field using VVVV symbols rather than a HUD system
* Side stepping and fending is done with the right analogue stick
* Offloading is done with pass button
* Attributes can go up and presumably down in game with momentum
* Mental Agility Attribute which affects player awareness and discipline
* Some classic Jonah Lomu Rugby commentary lines, one of them being "Dig's like a demented mole!
* All Blacks Rugby Challenge is also being released for PSP

I WILL upload direct showings of the screenshots soon. They are too good not to be missed.

rugbychallenge03.jpg

rugbychallenge08.jpg

rugbychallenge04.jpg

rugbychallenge06.jpg

rugbychallenge07.jpg

rugbychallenge05.jpg

rugbychallenge02.jpg

rugbychallenge01.jpg

N.B. These aren't at full size. Go to RugbyChallengeGame.com to see them at full size.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
- Licensing = All blacks, Wobs, Tri Nations, Super Rugby, ITM Cup, apparently the "Qantas Cup" meaning it will be a fictional national aus comp.

We should email them a couple of our threads on the issue. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Do you know if the game will have online play, and will we be able to download updates when players sign to different provinces?

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Personally I doubt Downloaded update rosters would be available, for the money it costs them they wouldn't make much cash out of that kinda thing, + you will be able to do it yourself with a roster editer as far as I know

Status
Not open for further replies.