• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2023

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the coverage in Aus so far. Lots of chat with friends / family etc. Maybe I was expecting no coverage - and some seems like a lot.
Likewise - people who don't usually do so are bringing up the rugby in conversation, and not just the Wobs' matches either

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Good to see NewsCorp continuing vendetta again Union. Their coverage so far of the RWC has been quite dire. Even for the Daily and Sunday Telegraphs' standards.

Though presumably with their favoured sport, they are getting their teeth stuck into League.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good to see NewsCorp continuing vendetta again Union. Their coverage so far of the RWC has been quite dire. Even for the Daily and Sunday Telegraphs' standards.

Though presumably with their favoured sport, they are getting their teeth stuck into League.
Bit like Jack Wighton?

Sorry, back to the Rugby :)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
GAGR not really the place for Rugby World Cup chat is it.

The Aus vs Georgia game thread gets 30 pages yet other RWC matches come and go without even a mention.

The insular Australian.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

The Aus vs Georgia game thread gets 30 pages yet other RWC matches come and go without even a mention.

The insular Australian.
There was a fair bit of chat on the Frog v AB game, or are the Kiwi's trying to wipe that game from their memory?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

To be fair, Wallabies have only played Georgia so far, I doubt many Aussie's could locate Georgia on a map.

And the NRL and AFL finals are in full swing.

I'm optimistic to have some decent coverage this weekend/next week with only two finals games to be played in each of the other codes.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

The insular Australian.
Australia as a whole only cares about sports no one else in the world cares about.

Netball more than Basketball,

League more than Union,

AFL more the Soccer,

I think on the weekend just past AFL had two 90K crowds for their finals.

The billions in corporate welfare, especially the AFL, but the NRL are not that bad either, receive. Union at Ballymore and has to share it. AFL get a brand new stadium in Tassie just down the road from and existing stadium and a government guarantee of 12 Million per year in sponsorship from Tassie gov.

The Swans kindly allowed the Matilda's to use their Sydney 40 + million mostly government paid training facilities during the WWC.

Yer, we are stuck with those who like local rugby, just not enough of us get to excited about other nations. Tis not helped by a bias media who never discuss the merits of Fiji running rugby as an example.

Not sure if the Basketball WC is still on but for the second biggest sporting code in the world, and in Australia with the second most number of juniors they got SFA media, add the number of Australian players playing in the US leagues. Yet the AFL aliened Netball gets heaps of coverage.

So its just the way it is I suppose.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Australia as a whole only cares about sports no one else in the world cares about.

League more than Union,

AFL more the Soccer,

The billions in corporate welfare, especially the AFL, but the NRL are not that bad either, receive. Union at Ballymore and has to share it. AFL get a brand new stadium in Tassie just down the road from and existing stadium and a government guarantee of 12 Million per year in sponsorship from Tassie gov.

The Swans kindly allowed the Matilda's to use their Sydney 40 + million mostly government paid training facilities during the WWC.

Yer, we are stuck with those who like local rugby, just not enough of us get to excited about other nations. Tis not helped by a bias media who never discuss the merits of Fiji running rugby as an example.

Not sure if the Basketball WC is still on but for the second biggest sporting code in the world, and in Australia with the second most number of juniors they got SFA media, add the number of Australian players playing in the US leagues. Yet the AFL aliened Netball gets heaps of coverage.

Yeah but can we whinge about it somewhere else?

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)

The insular Australian.

Not sure what you're talking about, i'm very interested in watching those Scotsman Tuipulotu and Dempsy and that Irishman Hansen

• Haha
Reactions: dru

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

League more than Union,

AFL more the Soccer,

Cricket asks if it's a joke to you? It's our national sport and unites the country more than any other sporting code. But Derp is right, let's complain about that in another thread.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Skelton leads the cup for turnovers, Fraser McReight for opposition rucks hit and Carter Gordon for kick meters.
1694517523554.png

1694517523554.png

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wales with the best red zone efficiently on a weekend where Romania & Namibia played. We should be licking our lips at that.