• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2023

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
From here it'll be this:
1) France beat SA and Ireland thump NZ,
2) Wales and England stumble through against Fiji and Argentina
3) France and Ireland thump England and Wales
4) Ireland beat France in a close one.

No need to watch guys.

I almost hope you are right @Derpus. Imagine being in Ireland if they win!! The Irish fans will go absolutely off their heads. Also hope that Fiji pump England.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I don't like England but I can see them winning their second title. They have the easiliest and undisciplined rival in Quarters so they are in semifinal. Playing hypothetically against SA in semifinal would be a war of boring rugby, versus a wounded SA team after a warfare against the Frenchman and the Pommies after a nice walking to the park against the Fijians. Then you have the Grand Final, it's just one game.

sterlingmortlocksgloves

Allen Oxlade (6)
Seems as though Fiji played their World Cup final against the wallabies. They were absolutely shocking against Georgia and the loss this morning to Portugal only confirmed it. I expect the Poms to have learnt since the pre World Cup loss at the hands of the Fijians, and to put on an absolute clinic.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
From here it'll be this:
1) France beat SA and Ireland thump NZ,
2) Wales and England stumble through against Fiji and Argentina
3) France and Ireland thump England and Wales
4) Ireland beat France in a close one.

No need to watch guys.
Sounds pretty accurate.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seems as though Fiji played their World Cup final against the wallabies. They were absolutely shocking against Georgia and the loss this morning to Portugal only confirmed it. I expect the Poms to have learnt since the pre World Cup loss at the hands of the Fijians, and to put on an absolute clinic.

On the other hand England were lucky to beat Samoa and Fiji have been a little better than Samoa pretty consistently. I think Fiji struggled with the pressure of expectation against Georgia and Portugal. Against England they'll be underdogs with nothing to lose and it wouldn't surprise me if they play as well as they did against us.

Nothing would surprise me in that game really. Fiji are a team that just has a wider margin between their floor and ceiling than the tier 1 sides.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
France have not lost at home in over 2 years, even with Ireland playing well I find to hard to see the frogs losing if Depont plays.

Can't see SA beating them this weekend, hoping for all 4 NH teams to get up, want a Ireland v France final. Two form teams over the last 2 years. Ireland only losses in that time is NZ in NZ and France in France. Frances only loss was Ireland in Ireland.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
If you take off your Wallabies supporters cap and have a look at our pool, pretend you can switch the Wallabies out for another similar ranked team and it was an awesome pool that most rugby supporters would see as a sign that international rugby is getting better.

Fiji beating a 1st tier team (we should probably be a 2nd tier team in reality)
No team losing every game
Georgia being competitive and getting points
Portugal winning and drawing a match against Georgia

Add to these results that the final team to get through was up in the air right until the end this mornings game and we have been pretty lucky.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you take off your Wallabies supporters cap and have a look at our pool, pretend you can switch the Wallabies out for another similar ranked team and it was an awesome pool that most rugby supporters would see as a sign that international rugby is getting better.

Add to these results that the final team to get through was up in the air right until the end this mornings game and we have been pretty lucky.

The points difference for each team in the pool really showcases this, by far the closest in the tournament: +85 (Wales) +5 (Fiji) -1 (Australia) -39 (Portugal) -49 (Georgia). And it's crazy that Wales biggest win in the pool was against us. You'd have got massive odds if there'd been a market for that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I'm gunna keep using the tier nomenclature because it's convenient (not because I agree with it).

I think tier 1 is getting worse, not tier 2 getting better.

TheHaydog

Stan Wickham (3)
Comparing Portugal's campaign to their only previous appearance back in 2007 shows a marked improvement. Especially in points scored and conceded. Points conceded in particular have halved and they conceded the least points to Wales of any team in Pool C

2007:38-209 (-171)
2023:64-103 (-39)

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
France have not lost at home in over 2 years, even with Ireland playing well I find to hard to see the frogs losing if Depont plays.

Can't see SA beating them this weekend, hoping for all 4 NH teams to get up, want a Ireland v France final. Two form teams over the last 2 years. Ireland only losses in that time is NZ in NZ and France in France. Frances only loss was Ireland in Ireland.
Boks between a rock and a hard place at 10. Play Libbok, who gets them running - and they're much more dangerous with running allied to their power - but can't kick. Or Pollard, a black hole but can kick.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm gunna keep using the tier nomenclature because it's convenient (not because I agree with it).

I think tier 1 is getting worse, not tier 2 getting better.
I agree. I don’t think any of the teams in Australia’s pool this year would have made the knockouts in any group in 2019. The decline across the board is alarming. We have teams almost conceding 100pts against far from vintage ABs teams etc.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Obviously injuries can play a big part. If Ireland loses Sexton, or France loses Dainty, for example.

But I would expect France to play Ireland in the big one, and the Froggies will enjoy home ground advantage, which makes them my pick.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've worked with a few over the years (including now) and it can be challenging :) Same with the two mad Irish women I work with now. I sometimes lean forward in my chair and say what the hell are you talking about.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I love the Scots
When I spent a year back-packing around the world, I was in Edinburgh at a pub ordering a round for my mate and some others we'd accosted, and this bloke at the bar mistook me for being "fookin' English". When I corrected him he was mortified, and I spent the next few hours being bought pints to atone for what he thought was the most heinous insult anyone could get! He didn't get easier to understand, but neither did I! :D