• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rumour of the week: Tahu back to League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pretty clever of Tahu to have a get out clause in his rugby contract. I will be disappointed to see him go - feels like we were only just starting to see the best of him at the end of this years S14. The tahs are starting to look thin in the backs now with Costa Lote, TT and Sam Two Dads all goooone and only butter fingers Mitchell as a replacement.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
pretty weak of him. dissapointing that we never really got to see hyim do anything.
now lets stop getting NRL players. put this $ into development

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't think we say anywhere near his potential, but with his propensity to get crocked, probably better off in League and someone else's expensive outpatient.
Had he played Union from a young age, I think he would have been a fantastic 12 or 13, more likely the latter.
Good luck to him, I think he tried but got pretty frustrated with so much time on the sidelines, and realised the higher honours were less and less likely to come his way. He seemed a humble guy.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
cyclopath said:
I don't think we say anywhere near his potential, but with his propensity to get crocked, probably better off in League and someone else's expensive outpatient.
Had he played Union from a young age, I think he would have been a fantastic 12 or 13, more likely the latter.
Good luck to him, I think he tried but got pretty frustrated with so much time on the sidelines, and realised the higher honours were less and less likely to come his way. He seemed a humble guy.

Agreed. I think without the injuries, he would have made it, but he needed game time to get used to the game particularly in defence which he didn't get. Also if Hickey woke up to himself a little earlier might have been a different story. Anyway we have plenty of depth in the backline we didnt have when he was recruited so its hardly the end of the world.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
No offence to TT personally, but I'm thrilled to see him go.

The league solution has been a disaster. QLD has recruited well, and got good value for their small signings, but NSW's picks have been a complete embarrassment.

If we're going to buy leaguies, NSW should do it more like QLD - get guys on the fringes of league that a good talent spotter (like Dywer) says could make the transition, e.g., Rocky Elsom, running around in reserve grade, played for Nudgee, workaholic.

For myself, I'd look for league players that are too fat or too tall to play at the top level. AND have played union before.

Finally - people say it's easier for backs to make the transition, but I'm not convinced that dancing around on the spot is terribly useful in our game.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Actually, one more last thing - I'm still :angryfire: about the loss of Beau Robinson and Sam Norton-Knight. Is there is a single brain to go around in the NSWRU?

F

formeropenside

Moses said:
I'm really surprised that none of the other teams picked up Beau.

Not really - the ACT have Smith (although they just lost Salvi, Hoiles can fill in at 7 if anything happens to Smith), the Force have an entire backrow of 7's in Brown, Pocock and Hodgson, and the Reds have Braid and young Luafutu and Andrew Shaw behind him.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
formeropenside said:
Not really - the ACT have Smith (although they just lost Salvi, Hoiles can fill in at 7 if anything happens to Smith), the Force have an entire backrow of 7's in Brown, Pocock and Hodgson, and the Reds have Braid and young Luafutu and Andrew Shaw behind him.

I'm not sure I agree with you fos. not too many of those guys have shown as much at 7 as BR.

Moses said:
I'm really surprised that none of the other teams picked up Beau.

Of the 4 provinces, I see him being most useful for the Tahs. Give Waugh a breather in the easier games, or play them both on the field at once.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I guess Hickey doesn't rate Beau, he had Mowen at 7 in cover and now he will have Sam Latunipulu as well I guess.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Coridas.... Surprised at the Teletrash's inability to link this case to Sonny Bill's.

Tahs have had three good recruitment's from league... Elsom,Palu & Robinson

J

Jatz

Bit late on this post...

I would happily pack Tahu's bags for him and hold the door open for him.

Bye bye. He has done nothing.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Is the ARU going to send the NRL the rehab bill?

They rebuilt his hamstrings for him after all.

R

rugbywhisperer

Maybe thats their cunning plan - how did we not see it coming - send over their crocs, have the ARU repair them on our money and then they go back to NRL.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
rugbywhisperer said:
Maybe thats their cunning plan - how did we not see it coming - send over their crocs, have the ARU repair them on our money and then they go back to NRL.

Been away in the snow for a week so didn't follow the story. Switched on to channel 9 "news" tonight and they report the story like its some fucking massive coup for League. They interviewed some halfwit chap, maybe Tahu's manager who basically implied he was too good for Union.

I can't stand league and their dimwit channel nine bunch of dung spewing horn blowers. The longer I live Australia the more I am convinced that a sub-standard IQ is required to support league.

Fuck off.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Blue said:
rugbywhisperer said:

Been away in the snow for a week so didn't follow the story. Switched on to channel 9 "news" tonight and they report the story like its some fucking massive coup for League. They interviewed some halfwit chap, maybe Tahu's manager who basically implied he was too good for Union.

I can't stand league and their dimwit channel nine bunch of dung spewing horn blowers. The longer I live Australia the more I am convinced that a sub-standard IQ is required to support league.

Fuck off.
I have 3 words that affirm all that.
The. Footy. Show.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
fatprop said:
I guess Hickey doesn't rate Beau, he had Mowen at 7 in cover and now he will have Sam Latunipulu as well I guess.

Mowen is pants IMO. Robinson at least gives the appearance that he's getting stuck in at the breakdown.

As for Tahu - it was funny listening to Kearns and kafer last night talk about "missed opportunity" given how little Tahu played. While he had an excellent League record I do think the ARU were naive with this one, if they didn't recognise the inherent (physical) issues associated with him. The guy basically couldn't run properly and when he wasn't first choice he decided to "get it fixed".

I saw him play two excellent games for OZ A, a) because the games were fairly loose, and b) because he decided to run hard and straight. Other than those he thought he could crab sideways and still make it as an Int'l midfielder. Wasn't going to happen. I wonder what sort of kick in the teeth of not being in the Wallabies and losing out to a couple of young bucks (JOC (James O'Connor) and BB) has done for his confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.