• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rumour of the week: Tahu back to League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You can't win with the league media in Sydney: if he gets into the Wallabies they say it's a triumph for the standard of the NRL and if he goes back to league it's a case of his being too good for the game and the game not being good enough for him.

I am sorry that the Tahu experiment didn't work. He came looking to play rugby union without insisting on getting paid a bomb.

He had some problems in his time in our game:

• learning the game from the wing - which is where most leaguies are introduced to the game because defensively it is more one on one as it is in a league backline and where you have to worry about only one half of the park.

• his injuries which cut his time on the park, especially in the learning months.

• not getting enough ball at the Tahs

• not acquiring the skill to use the ball which is a less common skill in league where beating the man and offloading in a tackle is more important but for the couple of playmakers in the team. His skill at passing was often poor and was not corrected.

I had high hopes for him after his stint for Oz A in 2008 and again on the RSA tour at the end of the 2009 Super14, with Horne injured, Carter dropped, and Beale giving a few good balls from 12. It's ironic that he looked like a much better union footie player, at 13, in his last games in our code.

He seems like a decent bloke; I wish him well.

Except when the Eels play the Dragons.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yeah, definitely seems like a decent bloke, no hard feelings from me. I just don't want to buy any more players from 1st grade - stick to Jersey Flegg or whatever it is called.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
He seems like a fairly dodgy bloke, called several meetings and then didn't show up to them. Was meant to meet Robbie and Nucifora yesterday morning presumably to ask for a release. No show, just break it in the press instead.

Was meant to meet up with the ARU again, again a no show.

Didn't show up to training late last week either, blamed the hand I think

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I can't stand league and their dimwit channel nine bunch of dung spewing horn blowers. The longer I live Australia the more I am convinced that a sub-standard IQ is required to support league.

I think the ones with sub standard IQ migrate to League because it is too difficult for them to follow union.

What really annoys me is when they call an origin game (the only league games I watch) a great spectacle, even though most of it is either just up and down very conservative stuff or the opposite, with teams making mistakes left right and centre. These days there is only one really good origin game every 3 years, and the remainder are pretty average as far as skill is concerned, yet they hold them up as some sort of magnificent contest.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Moses said:
He seems like a fairly dodgy bloke, called several meetings and then didn't show up to them. Was meant to meet Robbie and Nucifora yesterday morning presumably to ask for a release. No show, just break it in the press instead.

Was meant to meet up with the ARU again, again a no show.

Didn't show up to training late last week either, blamed the hand I think

Clearly an epic fuckwit.

Couldn't even make it as a run on player in 1st grade club rugby, so threw his toys out of the cot and bailed. Can we please stop wasting money on the low class scum that play league and invest it in genuine talent like Ioane instead ?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Blue said:
rugbywhisperer said:
Maybe thats their cunning plan - how did we not see it coming - send over their crocs, have the ARU repair them on our money and then they go back to NRL.

Been away in the snow for a week so didn't follow the story. Switched on to channel 9 "news" tonight and they report the story like its some fucking massive coup for League. They interviewed some halfwit chap, maybe Tahu's manager who basically implied he was too good for Union.

I can't stand league and their dimwit channel nine bunch of dung spewing horn blowers. The longer I live Australia the more I am convinced that a sub-standard IQ is required to support league.

Fuck off.

I noticed it as soon as I returned to Oz from China - I blame it on a media conspiracy to dumb down the world to America's level. I Can't stand league and it is even worse as my entire family live in a heartland (for the sport) and are right into it.

O

OZGOD

And so the ill-fated raid on the mungos meets an untimely end. Cross doesn't count as he was a rah rah to begin with.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rodney Davies, Will Chambers, Charlie Fetoai, Josh Tatupu, Sitaleki Timani, Tyrone Smith?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
AussieDominance said:
Coridas.... Surprised at the Teletrash's inability to link this case to Sonny Bill's.

Tahs have had three good recruitment's from league... Elsom,Palu & Robinson

All from rugby backgrounds who went to league and then came back. Tahu, Tuqiri and Sailor had no rugby background.

Noddy I think most of yours are the same as Elsom, Palu and Robinson arent they?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
fatprop said:

Beau flirted with league, as did Elsom and Palu. He's a Stannies boy who played Australian Schoolboys in 2004 against Ireland in Canberra in the same team as the Fangiaa twins. The most league any of these three played was only two years.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yeah, I don't mind getting back guys who wanted to earn some $ playing sport after school. Sure, it would be nice if they would play club rugby and get some kind of job. But if we are going to buy leaguies it should be these guys who have played excellent school rugby and are not charging $1m a year for marketing purposes.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Scarfman said:
Yeah, I don't mind getting back guys who wanted to earn some $ playing sport after school. Sure, it would be nice if they would play club rugby and get some kind of job. But if we are going to buy leaguies it should be these guys who have played excellent school rugby and are not charging $1m a year for marketing purposes.

An in most cases I would guess they were young and had more money offered to them from League at the time than they would have earned in rugby.

I think this whole fallout is good for rugby. Earn it first by showing you actually have the ability and remove the doubt that young Union guys might have that some overpaid guy is going to get a contract before them simply cause Phiilllll Goooooouuuuulddddd and co tell us how Greeeeeeaatttt heeeee isssssssss.

Even Fox keeps beating it up by talking about the "big loss" of T & T. The first T has done squat for two years the second T played three games, once of which was decent. Tahu had potential. Not form, not a track record. Unrealised potential.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reports claim Karmichael Hunt set to depart Brisbane Broncos and join AFL

By staff writers
July 29, 2009

Brisbane Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt is expected to confirm his departure from the NRL on Wednesday, with reports claiming he will switch codes and join the AFL.

In what would be an unprecedented cross-code switch, the Nine Network says Hunt will join the new Gold Coast AFL franchise, which joins the competition in 2011.

With Hunt's contract with the Broncos up at the end of this NRL season, the 22-year-old's future has been a hot topic in recent months.

Hunt, who has been linked to rich rugby union deals in Japan and France, will hold a press conference on Wednesday, he announced on his new website on Tuesday.

Nine has reported on Wednesday morning he will make the shock code switch announcement at the press conference on the Gold Coast.

Hunt has played 10 State of Origin matches for Queensland and 11 Tests for Australia since joining the Broncos in 2004.

interesting.... I am sure he will enjoy getting out of the spotlight at the Broncos to move to the quiet and secluded Gold Coast a massive 40 minutes down the road from Brisbane to be perhaps the most newsworthy recruit this club will make.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Noddy said:
Reports claim Karmichael Hunt set to depart Brisbane Broncos and join AFL

By staff writers
July 29, 2009

Brisbane Broncos fullback Karmichael Hunt is expected to confirm his departure from the NRL on Wednesday, with reports claiming he will switch codes and join the AFL.

In what would be an unprecedented cross-code switch, the Nine Network says Hunt will join the new Gold Coast AFL franchise, which joins the competition in 2011.

With Hunt's contract with the Broncos up at the end of this NRL season, the 22-year-old's future has been a hot topic in recent months.

Hunt, who has been linked to rich rugby union deals in Japan and France, will hold a press conference on Wednesday, he announced on his new website on Tuesday.

Nine has reported on Wednesday morning he will make the shock code switch announcement at the press conference on the Gold Coast.

Hunt has played 10 State of Origin matches for Queensland and 11 Tests for Australia since joining the Broncos in 2004.

interesting.... I am sure he will enjoy getting out of the spotlight at the Broncos to move to the quiet and secluded Gold Coast a massive 40 minutes down the road from Brisbane to be perhaps the most newsworthy recruit this club will make.

This has got to be a hoax surely... :nta:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It does smell like one doesn't it. It may well turn out to be a footy show sketch or something.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Noddy said:
It does smell like one doesn't it. It may well turn out to be a footy show sketch or something.

No, not enough toilet humour for the footy show. Just not their style.

Status
Not open for further replies.