• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
All those years on the bike have fucked you. Tried sprinting instead?

Head down t the local footy field and measure out 10m, 25m, 50m, 100m

Starting at 0, sprint as hard as you can to 10. Walk back to 0
As soon as you get there, sprint as hard as you can to 25m. Walk back to 0
Repeat for 50 and 100, then have a 2 minute rest.

Repeat three times.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's an interesting injury and I think you are right when you mentioned the eccentric loading causing micro-tears and inflammation. Does you muscle tense up quite a bit, is there a restriction of movement if you try to stretch it once it has become inflamed? Sudden sharp pain would usually indicate a tear but that's obviously not the case if its back to normal in one day.

Given the amount of cycling you do your overall health would be good but I think the amount of cycling may have caused an imbalance in your running style. Two common issues for imbalance causing pain in the quads are the length of your stride(possibly too long) and/or the angle at which you bend at your hips and how the weight is distributed through your core, you may be leaning slightly too far forward.

As for the injury, the only thing I can think of is the micro-tears and inflammation is triggering some form of acute compartment syndrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good points - I agree that it is probably related to "issues" or imbalance from my cycling, and the micro-tears theory seemed to fit, but so does.........
External Iliac Artery Endofibrosis too - funny thing is this more often occurs in cyclists when cycling, but has been reported in cyclists when running, or other endurance athletes. Compression of the artery near the groin / hip repeatedly (low cycling position supposedly a causative factor) leads to narrowing of the artery. Under normal / low intensity exercise, blood flow is normal so no symptoms. Net result is effectively acute reduction of blood flow and a localised compartment syndrome that obviously reverses quickly. Funny that it does not happen when I ride (in that position) and during which I often push myself much harder than when I run. I might have to talk to my mate the vascular surgeon ( I've got a lot of surgical mates!!!).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
All those years on the bike have fucked you. Tried sprinting instead?

Head down t the local footy field and measure out 10m, 25m, 50m, 100m

Starting at 0, sprint as hard as you can to 10. Walk back to 0
As soon as you get there, sprint as hard as you can to 25m. Walk back to 0
Repeat for 50 and 100, then have a 2 minute rest.

Repeat three times.
Funnily, I was a sprinter at school. We'll see.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I now fit into my Two Blues Harmony day Jersey I purchased a couple of years ago ( it just fits )

Drop a couple more kilos and Mrs Wazza2013 might let me wear it out side the house.:D
Quite the collector's item is the Two Blues Harmony Day jersey, I wonder what's planned for this year - my pick would be a camouflage design in the Two Blues colours. Only for First Grade of course, we already have a number of lower grade players whose efforts on the field are difficult to spot.

@Bellytwoblues, I expect full credit for this idea, and last and final bid on a selected jersey in the auction!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This thread has reminded me that a mate of mine recently lost a lot of weight and wants to run City 2 Surf this year. I sort of promised myself that I only needed to do it once, but then I sort of failed to go under 90 minutes like I'd planned, so its time to get back out on the road again.

At the moment I'm about 100kg so I need to strip that back while building up the road legs. Would not want to be running C2S at anything higher than about 92...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have started this stuff again, actually taken my own advice and started from scratch again doing the couch to 5k plan, 6 weeks in and no injuries so far (the hardest thing for me is feeling great, then doing too much and getting busted back to square one again............)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
What is your best record at the 5k?

Few years ago my records were between 20 and 21 minutes. Last year I had a HUGE back injury, I stayed 10 months without running or going to the gym. I was very depressed because I am an athlete and there is nothing worse for an athlete.

I gained 15 kgs, since last November my doctor allowed me to run again. I've already lost 7.5 kgs, I need the other half.

Now I run from Monday to Saturday 5 km religiously and and I'm also doing crossfit. Now my record of the 5k is between 24 and 25 minutes. I need to lose the others 7.5 kgs and get my old record at the 5k (About 20 or 21 minutes)

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Have dropped a total of 12kg now, with constant running.

I now fit into my Two Blues Harmony day Jersey I purchased a couple of years ago ( it just fits )

Drop a couple more kilos and Mrs Wazza2013 might let me wear it out side the house.:D

As well as dropping over 12kgs,Just got my cholesterol test results back.
Reduced by 2.5 points.

Oh yeah :) Got to love running

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, the past 2 weeks I have done about 4-5 runs of between 3 and 7km on a treadmill, averaging about 5.30 / km.
Prolonged stretching beforehand with ITB and hip-flexor rolling (bloody ouch!!!) as well as specific stretches, then usually 15-20 min at quite high intensity on a bike or orbital trainer.
Few twinges, no bad pain, and can run through any of it fine.
Might just be my ridiculously tight quads / flexors and ITB from cyclopathery.
Nonetheless, on the suggestion of my mate the vascular surgeon, who listened to all my symptoms, will be doing an exercise Doppler ultrasound vascular study soonish.
Sucks getting older but still wanting to be fit. Kind of.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I went for a 3km run tonight in 17:21.

I started to lose vision in my right eye after 1km. It was weird. Happy to say its back now, but after finishing the 3km and then walking 2km back home, I started to get a sharp pain in the right side of my head.

Hopefully its not a tooma.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I went for a 3km run tonight in 17:21.

I started to lose vision in my right eye after 1km. It was weird. Happy to say its back now, but after finishing the 3km and then walking 2km back home, I started to get a sharp pain in the right side of my head.

Hopefully its not a tooma.
Seriously???? Have you had migraines before? Has it gone now?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd get it checked out. When I was younger I had a few migraine issues, normally after playing or training. My diet was terrible and once I fixed that up they stopped.

I've done some stupid things to my body but a migraine I had when I was 18 is still the worst pain I've ever felt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well, I have now worked through the couch to 5km program running every second morning

I like the timing part of the program (a phone app to blue tooth headphones) do a five minute walk, 30 minute run, 5 minute walk/cool down. The app now tells me when I am half way there and I try do a negative split for the second section. I have no idea about the length of the run, just the time

Next step, add body weight exercises on the alternates.

I will get properly fit for skiing

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Too slow, mate

Yeah thanks coach. As a 38yo bloke who hasn't run regularly in two years I'll take that valuable and detailed feedback on board. Your insight is both astounding and crushing. While my little heart weeps, I will use this as motivation more powerful than a "hang in there" poster featuring a kitten dangling from a branch.

So, biting sarcasm aside, I saw the GP who said that it was probably no big deal but I should get an MRI to be sure.

Those things are fucking loud, and I had ear plugs in!

It was like being locked in a coffin at a rave, where all the music was composed on a Commodore 64. However, the geek in me really appreciates the software and sheer level of mathematics and tech that goes into it.

The MRI tech said there was no sign of anything serious (though they did find a small cyst-like thing in the upper sinus area) so the head pain was probably down to work stress and a couple of days before the run of bad diet and alcohol.

My new Vibram FiveFingers arrived this week so will start getting them warm for City 2 Surf three months from now.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Follow up - the radiologist gave me links to this app called 'My Film Bag' which basically links to my results. I can download all the MRIs they took of my scone! Its fucking rad being able to scroll back and forth through your own skull.

But makes me look like Homer J Simpson on particular slides.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-10-21-41-43.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-10-21-41-43.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 181

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Did they explain where the missing bits went? ;)
BTW - you look like Homer Simpson from many angles! :p