• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
After taking July off (too f*cking cold, I run around a bay and the wind at night ......) I am back to doing 10km every 3 days followed compound body weight exercises to muscle failure the following day, and then rest and repeat

Impressive. Out of curiosity what's your goal or reason for this routine?

Yeah, I agree about it being too cold, been sick for the past month and had three weeks where I didn't run at all. Started to run again and I'm amazed at how much fitness I've lost in such a short period.

Before I got sick I had just done my half-marathon. Now I can't really be bothered or am I interested in doing long distance anymore.. Think I might try and push myself to go faster over a shorter distance, like 5 or 8kms.

Does anyone have any advice for the best type of regular running for improving rugby fitness/speed? I have a sinking feeling the answer will be hill sprints..

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So after not being able to run, and getting down in the mouth about it (while putting on a few kg) I decided I'd better fucking walk my way back to fitness. Or at least back to under the ton.

Dropped into the Merrell shop at Castle Towers today and picked up a pair of these - Trail Glove 3

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/trail-glove-3/17571M.html

MRLM-J03907-050614-S15-HERO

(I tried to get the Vapor Glove at 2mm but they were out of stock http://www.merrell.com/US/en/vapor-glove-2/17572M.html?dwvar_17572M_color=J32485#start=1)

Yes, its a departure from my Vibram Fivefingers, but while this is a 4mm sole (positively luxurious!) it has zero drop so should keep everything on an even keel.

Will need to allocate some serious time to this, as the neuro issues are starting to occur at a lower threshold. Therefore I can't run just yet. Not even sure I can sustain a 6km/hour walk.

But if I concentrate on distance first, now its warmer, I'm hopeful I can get this shit sorted out eventually.

I'll need to watch the eating is the big thing. Fuck it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oh and the fucking neuro appointment has been shifted - twice - to the 22nd October.

At this point, given the amount of radiation pumped into my body, I'm banking on the prick saying "I've seen something like this before, and what you need is more oral from the wife!"

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So after not being able to run, and getting down in the mouth about it (while putting on a few kg) I decided I'd better fucking walk my way back to fitness. Or at least back to under the ton.

Dropped into the Merrell shop at Castle Towers today and picked up a pair of these - Trail Glove 3

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/trail-glove-3/17571M.html

MRLM-J03907-050614-S15-HERO

(I tried to get the Vapor Glove at 2mm but they were out of stock http://www.merrell.com/US/en/vapor-glove-2/17572M.html?dwvar_17572M_color=J32485#start=1)

Yes, its a departure from my Vibram Fivefingers, but while this is a 4mm sole (positively luxurious!) it has zero drop so should keep everything on an even keel.

Will need to allocate some serious time to this, as the neuro issues are starting to occur at a lower threshold. Therefore I can't run just yet. Not even sure I can sustain a 6km/hour walk.

But if I concentrate on distance first, now its warmer, I'm hopeful I can get this shit sorted out eventually.

I'll need to watch the eating is the big thing. Fuck it.

I've got those - albeit a slightly earlier model, but basically the same. Did a bit of running in them. Now use Sauconys with minimal offset (4mm) which are good. The Merrels are terrific, but I like running just a little more in the Sauconys. Go hard!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Oh and the fucking neuro appointment has been shifted - twice - to the 22nd October.

At this point, given the amount of radiation pumped into my body, I'm banking on the prick saying "I've seen something like this before, and what you need is more oral from the wife!"
Neurologists are not renowned for their sense of humour. Don't get your hopes, or anything else, up. ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Impressive. Out of curiosity what's your goal or reason for this routine?

Yeah, I agree about it being too cold, been sick for the past month and had three weeks where I didn't run at all. Started to run again and I'm amazed at how much fitness I've lost in such a short period.

Before I got sick I had just done my half-marathon. Now I can't really be bothered or am I interested in doing long distance anymore.. Think I might try and push myself to go faster over a shorter distance, like 5 or 8kms.

Does anyone have any advice for the best type of regular running for improving rugby fitness/speed? I have a sinking feeling the answer will be hill sprints..

Goal? to be healthy and be able to move as an old man (I be old)

rugby training?

You are building up the ability to be able to run, get knocked over and the get up again. Rinse and repeat

An old trainer I had once said that hill sprints would be really useful whenever you found a hilly oval to play on

I was always a "fan" of running the 25's & jogging the 50s til you throw up, when that took too long, run the 50s and jog the 25s. If that gets comfortable, throw in a few burpies at each change.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I've got those - albeit a slightly earlier model, but basically the same. Did a bit of running in them. Now use Sauconys with minimal offset (4mm) which are good. The Merrels are terrific, but I like running just a little more in the Sauconys. Go hard!

The minimals nearly destroyed my Achilles & calves, back in a more supportive shoe (Brooks Racer ST 5 with a good 12mm) and no injuries

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Little Miss 9 came with me on my 5k run yesterday. She has never run anywhere near that distance before.

Let her set the pace.Was giving her markers as we went 1k , 2k etc.

She ran the whole distance 35.57 not bad for a first time out at 9 years

She wants to do it again. I will have to lift my game shortly or she will be telling me " dad try and keep up".

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Neuro said what I was getting are basically migraines and he wants me to try some medication and a graduated exercise program.

The daughter (just turned 9) wants to go on morning jogs, which is odd because I pretty much can't.

Anyway, suppose with the longer daylight hours I should take advantage of her enthusiasm and motivate my own fat arse.

Had a gut parasite the last two weeks which curtailed any interest I had. That seems to be easing, and I'm using it as a marker for getting back into it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Neuro said what I was getting are basically migraines and he wants me to try some medication and a graduated exercise program.

The daughter (just turned 9) wants to go on morning jogs, which is odd because I pretty much can't.

Anyway, suppose with the longer daylight hours I should take advantage of her enthusiasm and motivate my own fat arse.

Had a gut parasite the last two weeks which curtailed any interest I had. That seems to be easing, and I'm using it as a marker for getting back into it.
Extreme way to shift the kilos, mate! Hope you're OK.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Annoying more than anything. Eat, feel fine. An hour later moderate-severe discomfort.

The fatigue was actually the worst bit. Desire for nanna naps increased dramatically ;)

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Interesting - How to be a sub 3 hour marathon runner

Well, probably of more interest to Tangawizi than the rest of us (even if he is already a sub 3 runner).
The mileage looks about right but you don't need to be out there everyday to hit it.

Most punters would be cranking out 30-35km long runs in that 7 to 4 weeks to go period so don't need to go massive on the other days to reach what they're suggesting.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
And the figures for 2016 are in.

Q1:
692km @ 5:35
49 runs (should have been 53-ish)
January 208km
February 216km
March 268km

Q2:
671km @ 5:29
47 runs (should have been 53-ish)
April 238km
May 233km
June 200km

Q3:
684km @ 5:31
46 runs potentially 53-ish, but a difficult quarter)
July 227km
August 242km
September 215km

Q4:
706km @ a disappointing 5:35
48 runs (could have been 53-ish)
October 249km
November 231km
December 226km

2016 Totals
2753km @ 5:32
190 runs (could have been up to 212 but realistically closer to 200 is achievable)
Average distance 14.5km
Shortest run: 10km
Longest run: 21.8km

2015 Totals
2090km @5:35
174 runs

Overall I'm happy to have done what I said I would do. I remained mostly injury free although a flirtation with a (slightly) lower drop in one pair of my running shoes took a toll in Q4. My senior citizen achilles did not like it at all.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I have been going for walks lately, where I go about 3km in the morning, and will jog sections of between 200-500m.

No far no serious recurrence of vision issues. Concentrating on posture and breathing, as well as forefoot style instead of mid-strike.

It might have helped that I cleaned the diet up a bit. We'll see where this goes.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Woke up early today, so decided to get out and cover 5+ this morning, jogging every 2nd km

Pace while jogging was nothing grand - between 6:10 and 6:30 per km. Ended up doing 5.5km (2.5km was jogging) in 42:30. Felt some small vision effects in the fourth km i.e. second jogging session.

It actually feels like the muscles around the right side of my cranium are a little tight (Temporalis and Orbicularis oculi) but I'm not sure whether that is the cause or just a symptom.