• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Running

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Saturday is weigh-in day. Here are the previous weeks:

16/06: 103.4kg - Chest 120cm - Waist 112cm - Hips 112cm
23/06: 101.6kg - Chest 118cm - Waist 111cm - Hips 112cm
30/06: 100.2kg - Chest 117cm - Waist 110cm - Hips 112cm

Today: 99.4kg - Chest 116 - Waist 109 - Hips 111.

4kg in 3 weeks. Booyah.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Saturday is weigh-in day. Here are the previous weeks:

16/06: 103.4kg - Chest 120cm - Waist 112cm - Hips 112cm
23/06: 101.6kg - Chest 118cm - Waist 111cm - Hips 112cm
30/06: 100.2kg - Chest 117cm - Waist 110cm - Hips 112cm

Today: 99.4kg - Chest 116 - Waist 109 - Hips 111.

4kg in 3 weeks. Booyah.
Great work mate. No aura with the 5km?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Great work mate. No aura with the 5km?

I felt it a little, but it is hard to tell sometimes as the pre-dawn light isn't crash hot for judging your eyesight :)

Might be that 6:20-6:30 pace is what I need to keep it at bay.

Perhaps I should look at getting a HR monitor for the Google Fit so I can keep and eye on that.

Any recommendations?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I felt it a little, but it is hard to tell sometimes as the pre-dawn light isn't crash hot for judging your eyesight :)

Might be that 6:20-6:30 pace is what I need to keep it at bay.

Perhaps I should look at getting a HR monitor for the Google Fit so I can keep and eye on that.

Any recommendations?
I think they are all pretty much the same although I did see Garmin had one with some sort of running metrics built in. I don't know if that makes any difference at all.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I use a Garmin which does wrist-based HRM which is ok, but when I run wear a proper HRM strap for more accuracy. Definitely worth collecting HR data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Can I ask what exactly is the aura?

It's different for everyone, but migraine sufferers can get it preceding the actual headache.

For me it can vary: in my right eye only, i start to gets spots in my vision. Sometimes it's like a dark line at the bottom that takes away (say) 10% of what you can see. Sometimes it's a spot right in the centre which means i can't read something unless I look slightly to the side.

During running or riding it typically manifests as a general darkening of the vision in the right eye, like it has a grey filter on it. Sometimes the left eye seems like it's joining in but I'm never sure whether that's just my brain trying to compensate

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Especially because there is little correlation between cholesterol and heart disease

https://chriskresser.com/heart-disease/

Interesting.

I'd say they're fairly confident that the arterial blockage is caused by cholesterol though, with fairly strong evidence that links cholesterol levels to arterial plaques. So while its more the vascular than the cardio, its still going to create issues.

Not that it will matter in about 8 weeks when I go back for a blood test, about 7 kilos lighter than last time, and smash all those numbers out of the park.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's different for everyone, but migraine sufferers can get it preceding the actual headache.

For me it can vary: in my right eye only, i start to gets spots in my vision. Sometimes it's like a dark line at the bottom that takes away (say) 10% of what you can see. Sometimes it's a spot right in the centre which means i can't read something unless I look slightly to the side.

During running or riding it typically manifests as a general darkening of the vision in the right eye, like it has a grey filter on it. Sometimes the left eye seems like it's joining in but I'm never sure whether that's just my brain trying to compensate
Okay, I understand. I get that type of migraine. Took me years to figure out my trigger was caffeine. After I stopped that they went from three a fortnight to three a year.
I get shooting stars on the edge of my vision and lines of pixelation across the centre of my vision like pixel snakes. I think it's something to do with pressure in my scone pressing on a nerve somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I feel sorry for the poor bastards who don't get any warning. If its NOT exercise-related, then from the start of the aura - it lasts 10-15 minutes - I've got about half an hour to bunker down and get to sleep in a cool, dark place.

Problem then is recovery: when I was first getting them I'd vomit and then go to sleep, and wake up feeling OK.

Now I tend NOT to vomit, but it takes me a day or two to get over it. Like the upchuck is some kind of chemical reset. Dunno.

What I do know is being fit as fuck meant I did not get migraines under any circumstances, so that's where I'm headed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting.

I'd say they're fairly confident that the arterial blockage is caused by cholesterol though, with fairly strong evidence that links cholesterol levels to arterial plaques. So while its more the vascular than the cardio, its still going to create issues.

Not that it will matter in about 8 weeks when I go back for a blood test, about 7 kilos lighter than last time, and smash all those numbers out of the park.

There is strong thinking that the arterial blockage is due to inflammation and that the inflammation causes the plaques build up, your body creates cholesterol as needed

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...3/inflammation-linked-to-cardiac-disease.aspx

Instead, cholesterol is a response mechanism activated by your body when a blood vessel is injured through an inflammatory process.23 Once the lesion occurs, your body sends cholesterol to cover the area and prevent further damage, much like a scab after you cut your skin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22037012

https://www.advancedradiologygi.com...it-really-a-contributor-to-heart-disease.html

Writers of the piece also suggest that the focus should not be on reducing cholesterol, but instead making incremental lifestyle changes like increasing exercise and activity, to 150 minutes a week, quitting smoking, reducing stress and switching to a Mediterranean diet of plenty of fruits and vegetables, fish, chicken, olive oil and nuts.
The piece also suggests that the long-held belief that plaque buildup clogs the arteries is not factual and suggests that plaque removal may not reduce a patient’s risk of heart attack or the chance the patient may die from a heart attack.
Inactivity, smoking, stress and eating processed foods lend to increased levels of inflammation. The link between inflammation and heart attacks as explained in the editorial is not a discovery. Researchers have made the connection between inflammation and heart attacks in previous studies and have found that inflammation is a factor in one-third of all heart attacks.
Inflammation has been shown to affect a form of arterial plaque known as vulnerable plaque. Vulnerable plaque is a soft plaque that can break away from the arterial walls and cause blockages that lead to heart attack or stroke.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There is strong thinking that the arterial blockage is due to inflammation and that the inflammation causes the plaques build up, your body creates cholesterol as needed

Being a lazy bastard: what causes the inflammation?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Woke up at 0430. Tried to get back to sleep and when it was 0500 I moved to the couch so as not to wake the wife.

Half an hour later I decided I wasn't getting back to sleep, and got changed into my running gear and read a book.

Just before 0600 I got on the road and it was fucking freezing. Set a pace I thought I could maintain without killing myself or tearing something.

5km in 30:15 - average pace of 6:05 is alright and "easier" than I thought, even though I had to bust a couple of full runs in there to try and get under 30 minutes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Being a lazy bastard: what causes the inflammation?

From my understanding as a self-informed non medical unit

Obesity
Not enough sleep
High Stress
Insulin Resistance

I cut out sugar and grains a couple of years ago, and that cut out 1 & 4, try to get better regulated sleep (a hit and miss issue) and exercise to reduce stress. Some people intermittent fast, that didn't work for me. I have a father who died obese with the diabetes on a million meds and not really "living" for his last 15 years. I plan to die healthy and quickly

Outcome blood work is fine, BP is fine, putting on muscle again. The only pill I take is a magnesium supplement

Not measuring weight, just hip and waist measurements.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Makes sense.

The sleep thing will need to be addressed. Can't keep waking up at 4:30 as it'll affect work and family life quick smart.

Stress would be fine if Oz Lotteries could just get their shit together.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I get up at 4:30! Also go to bed at 8:30-9:30

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk