• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RUPA supports a Draft System - Wayne Smith 'Australian'

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Police officers sign a contract with their employer (state police) where there are multiple locations, if you want the job then you move to the location you are told to go to, if you do not like it you find a job somewhere else.

LB your last sentence is exactly my point. That somewhere else will likely be Top 14 for D2.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Police officers sign a contract with their employer (state police) where there are multiple locations, if you want the job then you move to the location you are told to go to, if you do not like it you find a job somewhere else.

Correct. In fact there are plenty of jobs where people have to work when and where their employer chooses.

T

Train Without a Station

They don't. If they have to, may as well earn twice as much then.

Besides the Police isn't the right example. You sign up to work for the QLD Police. You don't sign up for any specific station.

In rugby you play for a franchise who is based in a single location.

Many companies make people move. That's great. I guess these players when forced with the prospect of Europe for $150k a season of the Western Force for $80k are the ones that are wrong. Maybe if we throw around enough "here in the real world" type comments they'll just accept less desirable options.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Actually if you signed up to play for the ARU there might be no location attached. That's how it worked in NZ and continues to work in the NFL - because a player signs to the league so can be traded.

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
When you sign up to play for Australia Sevens you end up going all over the world. Don't like it? Quit.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The new PRORugby league in the USA is also being set up along these lines with players signing up to the League which can determine their team. Or in effect the player could be traded.

T

Train Without a Station

In that case the whole system falls apart and there's less incentive to decline overseas offers.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The draft in NZ rugby fell apart internally because players found a way to get around it making it ineffectual. After a number of farcical situations it was abandoned but not because it didn't work, just because players could find loopholes to get around to it.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The NZ Super Rugby draft spread talent wide within the teams and ensured an even competitive start.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Let me briefly explain the early NZ Super Rugby draft.

Teams were allocated a set number of "protected picks" from within their catchment area. I believe about 20.

Because a squad needs 28 they were required to get their remaining 8 players from the "Draft Player Pool" made up of all players in the country who didn't get a "protected" contract.

This meant a lot of players moving across the county, hard decisions made and players who struggled to make one squad became a star on another.

The system became unstuck when players realised they could get around the rules by signing up playing ITM Cup or club rugby in another province and then becoming one of the "horses traded" by this coach. You see coaches did back room deals to trade protected players for draft picks and so on. Alot of this went on and club Rugby and ITM Cup teams became a shambles until the NZRU admitted it had to stop and coaches could pick all their own players

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
I guess the question isn't how many Sevens teams there are but rather who travels more and for longer? A sevens player or an NRC player. Given the answer is (a) Sevens player.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
If both were under an ARU contract there would be little between them. Sevens player travelling much more.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I dont see how it can't be set up where each year on a set date the ARU has a "sign up" day with a skills and physical assessment by interested parties.

This allows for players who make a decision to become a Pro rugby player in Australia and sign to the ARU.

I would like to see some sort of transfer fee involved to allow those who paid for development get something.

If you want to chance your arm overseas good luck but you would have to hope an overseas team picks you up from school or amateur club.

I would imagine a set up where a drafted player signs with the ARU who directs the player to a Super Rugby team who then directs the player to a NRC team, then to a club.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The proposal in New Zealand was to have such a "day" at the end of the NRC/Mitre 10 Cup. I ready for the next season.

One the "good" problems in New Zealand is that coaches recruit heavily throughout the Mitre 10 Cup so you might only be left with "discarded" players by the end unless you place some restrictions on recruitment such as age (i.e an U20 draft)

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
I do like the idea of an U20 or U22 draft. You would have to be careful the NRC didn't become a youth competition and you may need more teams

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Australian Super Rugby teams can make their own 'rule' that young recruits must come through the NRC. It's a good proving ground

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In that case the whole system falls apart and there's less incentive to decline overseas offers.

The only incentive at the moment to decline overseas offers is the hope of a Wallaby jersey. No matter what their level of talent, every professional rugby player in Australia could earn more in Europe or Japan than they could playing for the Wallabies.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
That situation exists regardless of a draft and a draft would have little effect on it. Top players in Auzzie who make the NRC draft and get an ARU contract would be stoked

Status
Not open for further replies.