• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RUPA supports a Draft System - Wayne Smith 'Australian'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The ARU is likely to begin by paying NRC players a proper wage of upto $50k plus to those not already on ARU contracts. This will cost upto $5million but is dwarfed by the $15-20m payed by NZR to Mitre 10 Cup teams.

Then draft NRC contracts would become up for grabs each season to promising players. A set number and Super teams would get a chance to contract these players

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Biggest enemy of inequality is Wallabies Top ups.

Now, I'm not saying they should be included in the Salary Cap, and neither am I saying that they should be distributed evenly to the Super Sides. But some sort of compensation to the Salary Cap for every player under their fair share (30 tops, so having fewer than 6 means extra room, but more doesn't take away) might go some way towards talent recruitment and retention.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
There is one big problem with a draft concept and it's not legality. If you say to the Rebels "you don't have rights to the best players in your state's NRC team" super rugby they will stop investing in it

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I remain sceptical of the need for a draft in Australian super rugby - not for the "usual" reasons advanced (most of which are straw men), but I doubt that it would have a positive impact on the game.

If someone, somewhere produces a model of a draft and can show that it would make rugby in Australia better, I'd be in favour.

The key to improving Melbourne and Perth is well-targeted development of local players (which is a long-term project). A draft isn't the answer, as players go to those places of their own volition in search of opportunity. The right coaches and rugby infrastructure will largely determine whether players stay for the long term once they've made it.

McGahan is doing some good things with the Rebels, sadly I don't think that Foley is the right man for the job in Perth.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
I also agree. A draft may send a player across the country for a year or two but if he isn't happy he'll eventually return.

Also you'd need to pay him well to send him across whereas players often need less financial incentive to play in places and for coaches and teams they want to.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Biggest enemy of inequality is Wallabies Top ups.

Now, I'm not saying they should be included in the Salary Cap, and neither am I saying that they should be distributed evenly to the Super Sides. But some sort of compensation to the Salary Cap for every player under their fair share (30 tops, so having fewer than 6 means extra room, but more doesn't take away) might go some way towards talent recruitment and retention.
Now we're getting somewhere.

I don't personally agree with a draft either, but I also believe it couldn't hurt to try and offer a pathway, for young unsigned players only. I don't think it would be wise or successful to force established players to move where they don't want to.

The Elephant in the room is the Wallaby top ups.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree Wallaby top ups are an issue but some of them are huge - in excess of a million?? - if you put them into a salary cap you would have to raise it. But one or two Wallabies arbitrarily would breach it. It's very arbitrary. You might as well have a quota

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
I think shifting some money put of the Wallabies top up and giving it to Super Clubs would help in this regard but it would not help Pulver or the Wallabies retain the best players.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
^^^
Which is why I didn't offer a solution. I don't know what it is.

Whatever it would be would be deeply complicated. Involving potential financial top ups paid to disadvantaged clubs, maybe extra squad spots and extra marquee spots. Maybe money paid to grass roots or even extra help developing the organisation or helping them attract better coaches.

T

TOCC

Australian Super Rugby teams can make their own 'rule' that young recruits must come through the NRC. It's a good proving ground

This completely ignores other market forces at play, Super Rugby teams are contracting players straight out of school on full contracts/EPS/EDS contracts not just to keep them from the grasp of other provinces but to retain them in code.. Waiting for them to prove themselves in the NRC only leaves them vulnerable to approaches from the other codes.

Rugby Union is losing its beat young stars at 17-18years old, when AFL and NRL clubs are throwing contracts around, waiting another year won't help the cause. Tepai Morea and Kaylyn Ponga are two of the best rugby union schoolboys in recent years and were signed whilst still at school.. NRL clubs won't sit on the sidelines until the NRC is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

The ARU is likely to begin by paying NRC players a proper wage of upto $50k plus to those not already on ARU contracts. This will cost upto $5million but is dwarfed by the $15-20m payed by NZR to Mitre 10 Cup teams.

Then draft NRC contracts would become up for grabs each season to promising players. A set number and Super teams would get a chance to contract these players

Where have you heard that the ARU will pay $50k wages? That's an absolutely ridiculous figure for only 2 months of work and I doubt it would happen, the NRC isn't generating $5million/annum so I question the justification behind this...

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Where have you heard that the ARU will pay $50k wages? That's an absolutely ridiculous figure for only 2 months of work and I doubt it would happen, the NRC isn't generating $5million/annum so I question the justification behind this.

They are likely to in the future. Mitre 10 Cup players and Currie Cup players are often paid more than that.

It obviously depends how the competition goes commercially but also how much the ARU is willing to invest in it's flagship 3rd tier competition. In context NZR invests over $15m annually.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
This completely ignores other market forces at play, Super Rugby teams are contracting players straight out of school on full contracts/EPS/EDS contracts not just to keep them from the grasp of other provinces but to retain them in code.. Waiting for them to prove themselves in the NRC only leaves them vulnerable to approaches from the other codes.

Rugby Union is losing its beat young stars at 17-18years old, when AFL and NRL clubs are throwing contracts around, waiting another year won't help the cause. Tepai Morea and Kaylyn Ponga are two of the best rugby union schoolboys in recent years and were signed whilst still at school.. NRL clubs won't sit on the sidelines until the NRC is over.

Agreed. But not all players are recruited from school. NZ teams recruit young players heavily from the Mitre 10 Cup rather than school.

Some players will always be recruited early but there is a huge number of players (most) who are contracted in their early 20's after playing some good Semi-Pro football.

That is where a number of guaranteed ARU contracts from the NRC each year and with larger ARU top ups for players who choose to go with a lower ranked team for 2years to spread young talent around.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
If you want to make the NRC more relevant Super Teams could all agree to recruit up to 3 players on NRC Rookie contracts. With ARU topping up a players contract by more if they went to a lower ranked team.

Reactions: BDA
T

TOCC

They are likely to in the future. Mitre 10 Cup players and Currie Cup players are often paid more than that.

It obviously depends how the competition goes commercially but also how much the ARU is willing to invest in it's flagship 3rd tier competition. In context NZR invests over $15m annually.

It's irrelevant how much the NZRU spends on the ITM Cup, they operate in a different market with a different product, and the finances of the NZRU are vastly different to the ARU.

I don't know where you have heard that NRC wages will be rising to $50k, but it won't be happening.. The broadcast value of the NRC is negligible and I would be surprised if revenue even covers expenses for Foxtel. Individual clubs have struggle to break even let alone make a profit, some teams didn't even have sponsors.

Investment by the ARU will be relative to commercial value, and at the moment there isn't much commercial value in the NRC.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Actually NZR and the ARU have similar total revenues. Both run Super Rugby, sevens, Test club and now a third tier competition.

I would disagree respectfully and argue that it is relevant.

The ITM Cup has never fully paid for itself either in the professional age. And we could very well see the NRC going that way.

The ARU, SARU and NZR are looking to build and maintain viable third tiers and that means players are paid.

T

TOCC

Sorry Ozee, there is wishful thinking and then there is the reality, NZRU has revenue 20% greater then the ARU and the kiwis also have cash reserves of $65million..

ITM Cup has significantly larger commercial value then the NRC, that's even reflected with greater ITM Cup exposure in Australia then NRC games. Maybe in 10 years that will change, but it won't be happening in the near future, nor will players be getting paid $50k for playing 7 games anytime soon.

The ARU has neither the money nor the inclination to throw an extra $5million at the NRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom