• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
On past form, the fact that 80% of forum members think it should be Barnes means that it will almost certainly be McCabe.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think with Jean de Villiers now at 12, not Steyn, Barnes is more of an option.

Against Nonu, maybe McCabe

Scotty

David Codey (61)
McCabe was mostly held up by the irish forwards as he was used as first off the line out. With digby back this is likely his role.

The most important thing for the wallabies will be to snuff out the high ball. It will be the bok no. 1 option.

Oh, and not to get byrce as ref.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The high ball bothers me. Beale is our best receiver at this point, but he's been pushed to the wing by QC (Quade Cooper)'s inability to tackle (sorry, to maximise our counter-attacking opportunities) and Quade has been terrible under the high ball. Added to that, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been spotty and JOC (James O'Connor) as well. I hope that, with Digby back, we see him swap directly with Quade so that Beale is at 15 on defense.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We need to think about dropping a loose forward back in support. Dk might be the best option.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Has to be Barnes.

After watching a lot of rugby these last few weeks and seeing sides that I normally wouldn't watch I have come to a conclusion. The Wobs are playing some of the dumbest rugby of any of the top 10 sides. Not sure if its the players or coaching staff (suspect it is) to blame but we need a smart player like Barnes in the backline. Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and QC (Quade Cooper) may have more talent but they don't have his brain for the game yet. If they get it we should dominate world rugby for a few years. Our forwards are guilty of this as well. We are never going to out muscle many packs but we can equal them and the rest of the time we need to be smarter which just isn't happening.

The problem with having extremely talented players like KB (Kurtley Beale), JOC (James O'Connor) and QC (Quade Cooper) is that they think they have to perform miracles everytime they touch the ball, Barnes provides the "old head" that needs to speak up and remind them to play smart.

M

Mica

This is a big loss for SA. Steyn has been a revelation at 12. His option taking and direct running have been a major part of the Boks improvement. He also seems to cover the defensive frailties of Morne which allows Brussow and Burger to attack the tacked ball. JDV is an experienced replacement but changes the dynamics of the Bok attack and some of the line speed and versatility of their defensive patterns.
Not to mention his canon of a boot!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Crack at a Wobs side

1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Sharpe
5. Horwill
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Higgers
9. Genia
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Vickerman
19. Hodgson
20. Samo
21. Burgess
22. McCabe/Fainga'a

I'd be inclined to put Fainga'a on the bench as McCabe is a bigger risk due to the nature of his injury.
Samo has been kind of flat and would be better for impact off the bench.
Barring a couple of handling errors Higgers has the aggression and ability to make the gain line.
Hodgson in for McCalman who hopefully wont play another test again.
Sharpe to truck it up, play tight, control the lineout, & keep a cool head then put Vicks on later.

Flame away.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'd have the same side no4918 except Vickerman starting. We need that early agression against the Boks, also why I think Higginbotham starting wouldn't be a bad idea. But I doubt it'll happen.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
IS there any updates on the injured players in the squads? I'm guessing Diggers, Pat, Fingers & KB (Kurtley Beale) (Have I left anyone out) will be updated around Thurs, what about Habana JPP & Hougie? They were all injured in the last game?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
http://www.keo.co.za/2011/10/03/boks-sweat-on-wingers/

Bryan Habana and JP Pietersen are in danger of missing the quarter-final against Australia on Sunday.

Bryan Habana suffered a blow to his thigh in the Tests against Samoa in Auckland on Friday and the injury is taking longer than expected to heal. Pietersen has sustained a knee injury.

‘We’re pretty worried about our two wingers,’ coach Peter de Villiers said. ‘Hopefully the longer week will help us to get them right for the quarter-final.’

De Villiers, however, reported that there were no other injury concerns. He said lock Bakkies Botha, who has suffered with an Achilles injury, was ‘fine’, while Francois Hougaard, who received a heavy blow to the head against Samoa, will be available for selection.

De Villiers said last week that he wouldn’t risk Botha if he wasn’t completely healed. He will start Botha if he is fully fit, with Danie Rossouw playing off the wood. Hougaard will start on the wing if either Habana or Pietersen fails to recover, otherwise he will be deployed as an impact player.

With Frans Steyn ruled out of the tournament with a shoulder injury, Jean de Villiers will resume his midfield partnership with Jaque Fourie. Pat Lambie is likely to be retained at fullback, with Gio Aplon expected to provide cover for wing and fullback on the bench.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
From the above Rossouw will play from the bench and Bakkies and Spies will start.

I think something in my head is going to explode.

This should be the pack:
Steenkamp, Battleship, Jannie
Rossouw, Vic
Heinrich, Alberts, Schulk

Smit, Spies and Bakkies from the bench.

Alas, one can but dream.

J

jaydee

yeah Mccabe can tackle hard alright, but don't forget he is playing 2 weeks after a dislocated shoulder- that has to affect your power in contact ??

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Both teams have been hit by injuries to key players

Both teams have a history of mystifying selections in important positions

Both teams' coaches are batshit crazy

Both teams' coaches have English as a second language

They are to meet in a cake tin, where...

One Ref will rule them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom