• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Slightly OT, but how good is this crop of opensides? McCaw (maybe waning a bit, but has redefined his role), Brussouw, Pocock, Warburton, O'Brien...the latter two could easily be 7 and 6 for the Lions in 2013, and whoever you played at 8 might not matter too much.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
SOB would be at 8, most likely, if David Wallace's knee was okay. Ferris at 6. That would have been some back row in operation...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Slightly OT, but how good is this crop of opensides? McCaw (maybe waning a bit, but has redefined his role), Brussouw, Pocock, Warburton, O'Brien...the latter two could easily be 7 and 6 for the Lions in 2013, and whoever you played at 8 might not matter too much.

Was thinking this after watching Warburton this afternoon, as a former openside, I am enjoying watching those blokes play. Fair to say McCaw is no longer the undisputed #7 many would believe.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This clash makes me nervous, I didn't anticipate getting eliminated in the Quarter finals and to think my world cup dream could fall agonisingly close is depressing. I like our chances if its dry, if not, I think we are honestly fucked, the Springboks will play out of their skins if it's raining, if not, we have the edge psychologically, and x-factor players that can pull us over the line. I look at the backrow battle and the battle of the halves as the decider in this one, the Aussie scrum has progressed enough to not get pinged every second scrum, that depends on the referee of course.

Likely sides:

1. Kepu v Mtwarira - Even, Mtwarira in the scrums, Kepu around the field. Steenkamp would be a different story.

2. Moore v Smit - Moore. Every Australian should be praying they play Smit, end of story, the thought of BDP is scary stuff.

3. Alexander v J du Plessis - du Plessis. Alexander is there, but doesn't always seem to be there.

4. Horwill v Matfield - Horwill. Matfield is getting on and a captains knock from Horwill would see him ahead of the veteran. Both will be crucial to their sides performance, Horwill has looked a shadow of his former self and will certainly need to find his feet if Australia is to win.

5. Vickerman v Botha. Botha. Let's hope they don't pick Rossouw, Vickerman has the physicality here, Botha the skill. Rossouw is looking lethal and easily the form lock of the tournament, but with their coach they could go for anything.

6. Elsom v Brussouw. Brussouw. This could go either way, both at their best could determine this entire match. Pocock will factor into this one and need to help Elsom.

7. Pocock v Burger. Pocock. The Australian has the edge here but never write off the veteran, Brussouw will be watching like a hawk. Burger has looked better so far this tournament but he will need to have a superb game to neutralise Pocock.

8. Samo v Spies. Even. Both have x-factor, Samo has been closer to form than Spies. Don't write off the South African though, his barnstorming runs are rare but ruin defences with ease.

9. Genia v Du Preez. Genia. Aussie has this by a mile if he plays his best, Du Preez has looked slow and four years past his prime. If the difference on the field is as great as it appears to be on paper Australia will go a long way to winning this match.

10. Cooper v Steyn. Even. These two won't give each other an inch, Cooper has the x-factor, Steyn has the golden boot, whichever reacts best to the situation and sums up the situation best will win it. Unfortunately Cooper is looking out of touch, will rely on Barnes a great deal to release the pressure.

11. Ioane v TBC (Probably Pietersen). Ioane, x-factor and form give the Australian this by a mile no matter the opposition. His match-fitness is questionable though.

12. Barnes v de Villiers. Even. Both on their day can win it for their side, JDV has fallen out of form and has been forced upon the Boks by the injury to F.Steyn. Barnes is opposite and looks to be coming into form and his kicking will be a great factor in Australia's field position.

13. Ashley-Cooper v Fourie. Fourie. More experienced and easily the form 13 in the world, Fourie is looking like an easy winner in this matchup. Needless to say, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is there for a reason, his defence is excellent and I doubt Fourie will be given too much room to move.

14. JOC (James O'Connor) v Aplon. JOC (James O'Connor). Both are up-and-coming players and hold keys to their side, incredible pace and great evasiveness. JOC (James O'Connor)'s kicking will be incredibly important and give him the edge in terms of the match-up.

15. Beale v Lambie. Lambie. On his day, Beale would destroy Lambie, problem is he looks nowhere near where he used to be. Seems to be lacking confidence to attack the line and thus is getting predictable. Lambie on the other side of the coin is hitting form and looks to be the form #15 of the tournament, has great kicking game to compliment his unpredictability in attack.

16. TPN v du Plessis. BDP. We can only hope the Springboks put him on the bench, he is an absolute monster. TPN is showing signs of his 2009 form but there is no more time for stuffing around, he will need to step up now. BDP if he gets on, will destroy tired bodies.

17. Slipper v Steenkamp. Steenkamp. The South African is in great form but seems to have fallen out of favour, perhaps politically. Slipper is coming back from injury but just hasn't looked solid. If Steenkamp starts, expect fireworks in the scrums.

18. Sharpe v Brussouw. Brussouw. Form lock of the tournament, will hopefully get dropped for the return of Botha. Sharpe has looked good but you would have to doubt him against his opposite number.

19. Hodgson v Alberts. Alberts. Noone really knows where Hodgson is at, but we know he is needed on the bench. Hodgson provides solid backup but his test form has been shocking, Alberts has looked impressive so far and could really turn the game. Both will need to make an impact off the bench.

20. Higgenbotham v Louw. Even. Neither look at their best, both sets of fans will be hoping they lift for their teams, Higgenbotham looks unpredictable, Louw looks solid. Toss of the dice this one.

21. Burgess v Hougaard. Hougaard. Purely due to his versatility and form Hougaard is the choice back-up halfback. Burgess has been good since returning and has the ability to re-shape the Australian attack, Hougaard appears to be the super-sub, no one knows where he will come on but expect impact.

22. McCabe v De Jongh. Even. Both have looked good but form and match fitness are questionable, De Jongh will have great impact whilst McCabe will offer solid defence which could be vital in the dying minutes. Watch this space.

I think the Springbok bench is far too strong, add the weather and stadium into the equation and this could potentially be a blow-out. Genia, Moore, Pocock and Cooper will be heavily relied upon but I can't see them holding on for 80. Expect it to be close at half-time, final margin to be about 15 points to the Boks.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If grumbles is correct McCabe is set to regain his spot at 12...

I've been in strong defense of the guy but you don't want a repeat of 07 when AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was given back his wing after injury when Mitchell was playing well...

Bring Cooper off (or to fullback) with 20 to go and then shift Barnes to flyhalf and bring McCabe off the bench...

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Pocock's definatly been playing better then Brussouw latley, but I agree with the rest of the Bok pack in better form then ours. Moore has been playing well, but BdP has been destroying opposition latley.

Lucky for us, BdP isn't going to be starting. Moore's considerably better than Smit, so that's one in our favour. I don't think our props match up to Beast and Jannie, but Kepu has the ability to really perform. Just a matter of 'if'.
Our locks can easily match it with the Saffas. Horwill and Sharpe form a good combination, with great leadership, experience, maturity, physicality and line-out skills. Matfield is still an excellent line-out general, but Sharpe won't gift wrap the ball for him by any means. Howill needs to step up and show why he's captain and dominate Rossouw, who's been great lately. Pocock is in top form and can easily match it with Brussouw, in fact I think he's better. Elsom isn't up there with Burger and that's really sad, seeing as we all thought he was going to peak right about now. Obviously not. Spies is overrated and it's just a matter of finding the right balance in our backrow with Samo not being an 80 minute player. I wouldn't say we're definitely going to the Semis, but you'd be foolish to write us off just yet.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moderators,
Can we change this thread name to insert "vs Men in Gold" (or Australia/Wallabies as the case may be) in lieu of "vs Runner up Pool C"

This match will be a big ask for the Men in Gold.
Sorry Boet for not changing it quick enough. Bit allergic for the net on sundays.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Surprised by the Aussie pessimism in this thread.

Your forwards have manned up to the Boks well of late and your kicking game has also been better.

I will say that the bok team is playing better than they have for the last 2 seasons but as I have said elsewhere, the recipe to beat them is much the same, as the Welsh showed.

With Pocock back the Wobs start as favorites in my book.
Agree , should be a walk in the park for them. Time our lot get back for the CC business end.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If we pick our best team, and all injured players come back in great form, and the South Africans decide not to play their best team, and the weather is fine, and we use our bench effectively, and they don't, we'll have a good chance.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm feeling more confident as the game approaches. We all know what the Boks are coming with. As the set-piece will be pretty much even, the Wallabies "simply" have to match the Boks intensity at the breakdown. We will run at Morne Steyn all day long and then go wide.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Cautiously optimistic. McCabe to start in what will be a punishing 40. Provided we win the collisions looking to see BB come off bench to change it up as we start to harry them. If the game isn't going so well, it could be Quade coming off.

hedgo

Frank Nicholson (4)
barnes at 12 surely. an honest toiler mccabe certainly is but barnes offers infinitely more in attack, especially game management when/if quade loses the plot a little, while losing absolutely nothing in defence. still matters not if we don't bloody turn up in the forwards

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
If we pick our best team, and all injured players come back in great form, and the South Africans decide not to play their best team, and the weather is fine, and we use our bench effectively, and they don't, we'll have a good chance.

Forecast not looking good. If this weather system moves a bit faster could be dry but I reckon odds on for a wet sunday.

John the baptist

Stan Wickham (3)
The composition of the Australian backline doesn't matter too much. Win your own line out ball (which Moore should ensure), compete with Brussouw at the breakdown (which you know Pocock can do), and be competitive enough on your own put in at scrum time. Elsom needs to find some form, preferably that of Nov 08-May 09. Horwill as captain needs to lead from the front.

In general, the pack needs to find a bit of hatred of their opponents. Combine this with the "heart" that the Italians showed at times today and you will win.

W

Waylon

McCabe gives us nothing.

Barnes is the best combination with Cooper. If Cooper decides to take the line on and gets tackled, Barnes steps into first receiver. We have the option of a distributor/ball player either side of the ruck with Barnes at 12. Barnes is a smart player with an excellent kicking game. he also brings some decision making and some sensibility to the team if Cooper is having one of his off days.

The "brains trust" seems to think Barnes can't tackle and is a target.

"No pass" McCabe got smashed behind the advantage line by the irish and on a few occasions got held up in a maul due to poor body height. He's a plodder. The Bok would be viewing the tapes.

Barnes should play 12.......but he won't

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I don't buy into the foxsports lovefest, notwithstanding how much I like Barnes. He can tackle but doesn't bring the same defense because McCabe will hit harder, more often, and at critical times, and because McCabe can make gains with crashball. Agree that Barnes brings the distribution and slippery offense, but to start we need McCabes proven in your face game. Imo.

Our first mission is rock solid defence and direct play.

I accept I am probably in the minority here, and I understand why.

Barnes off bench this week. Next week will depend upon who does what this week.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't buy into the foxsports lovefest, notwithstanding how much I like Barnes. He can tackle but doesn't bring the same defense because McCabe will hit harder, more often, and at critical times, and because McCabe can make gains with crashball. Agree that Barnes brings the distribution and slippery offense, but to start we need McCabes proven in your face game. Imo.

But how do we know that McCabe's shoulder wont be affecting his game? More importantly, McCabe's easy to shut down in attack as shown by the Irish. Because he runs so high don't worry about going for the tackle, simply hold him up and you'll get the ball turned over. The African centre pairing I would dare say the most capable of doing this.

I'd much rather Barne's cool head this weekend than an upright runner who has a bung shoulder.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Has to be Barnes.

After watching a lot of rugby these last few weeks and seeing sides that I normally wouldn't watch I have come to a conclusion. The Wobs are playing some of the dumbest rugby of any of the top 10 sides. Not sure if its the players or coaching staff (suspect it is) to blame but we need a smart player like Barnes in the backline. Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and QC (Quade Cooper) may have more talent but they don't have his brain for the game yet. If they get it we should dominate world rugby for a few years. Our forwards are guilty of this as well. We are never going to out muscle many packs but we can equal them and the rest of the time we need to be smarter which just isn't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.