• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can the moderators despatch this fool and ban him? - his choice of name is both offensive and a clear indication that he has nothing constructive to add to the forum

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Also - Vickerman absolutely belted him at one point. I'm pretty sure it was him who got rid of Brussow.

Indeed. He dropped the shoulder into a guy who was tied into a ruck. If an All Black had done it, you would be screaming blue murder and demanding suspension.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
He tried to clear someone out of a ruck? Were the police notified?

Here is a link to the incident. I don't really have a big issue with it in isolation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHwbALPbM1I&feature=feedu

Certainly it is in contravention of 10.4(h)
A player must not charge into a ruck or maul. Charging includes any contact made without
use of the arms, or without grasping a player

It was probably worthy of a penalty and not more. I wouldn't have even mentioned it, but for Scarman's obvious approval of it. I can remember all the hoopla when Woodcock did a similar action on Faianga last year, and all the condemnation that went with it (deservedly so) and am amused by the double standard under display.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Also - Vickerman absolutely belted him at one point. I'm pretty sure it was him who got rid of Brussow. In fact, Aussie Dan disabled a few Saffers around the park. I don't what's going wrong in the lineout, but you have to start Vickerman just for softening up the opposition.

Horwill belted him as well. He was the won who made him knock on when the Boks had a half chance.

In fact Horwill put in a couple of massive tackles in the game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Bit of a cheap shot from Dan Vickerman" - Warren Brosnihan

I agree Vicks does really stretch the rules sometimes with his ruck charges (and that's why I love him) but he wasn't even looking at Brussow. Definitely wasn't intentional.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Am I missing something or didn't Vickerman just make contact with Spies?

Brussouw is already on the ground at the bottom of the ruck.

I also think that Vickerman makes contact with his arms as well as his shoulder. It's debatable if it's even worth a penalty.

You are right, it was No 8 Spies. Sorry. I thought it was the action that injured Broussow, got that wrong.

Still, I stand by my point. Based on the laws of the game and plenty of precedent, it was clearly a penalty if not more. I don't think it is any less serious for example than this action by Bakies a few years ago that got him 2 weeks suspension http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7CM-_JlG64 . Nor is it any better than the Woodcock one last year.

To reiterate, I don't really have an issue with this sort of tough play and I recognise its part of rugby. The only issue I have is with people who condemn it when other teams do it, and praise it when their team does it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's the ruck where Brussouw got injured right? It can't have been from Vickerman.

Right near the start of the clip there is a big drive into the ruck from Rossouw and the whole thing kind of collapses forward and it looks like plenty of force would have gone down onto Brussouw. I reckon that is where he got injured.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think one action in isolation did Brussow's ribs. The Wallabies knew he had issues in the ribcage and he was targetted. Pocock smashed him when he was trying to hold up an Aussie ballrunner, perfectly legal and straight at the ribs. Then Vicks did a very similar thing. From memory Brussow was on his feet at a maul and Vicks flew in and smashed him. My memory could be wrong, but it seemed legal.

Certainly it was stuff you see plenty of times every game, and I daresay the Saffers would have done a bit of it themselves in the later minutes.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think one action in isolation did Brussow's ribs. The Wallabies knew he had issues in the ribcage and he was targetted. Pocock smashed him when he was trying to hold up an Aussie ballrunner, perfectly legal and straight at the ribs. Then Vicks did a very similar thing. From memory Brussow was on his feet at a maul and Vicks flew in and smashed him. My memory could be wrong, but it seemed legal.

Certainly it was stuff you see plenty of times every game, and I daresay the Saffers would have done a bit of it themselves in the later minutes.

Dirty Wallaby thugs? :fishing

I

International Badboy

Was i mistaken or did the Channel 9 broadcast have the Wallabies forward pack as about 20ks heavier than the Saffers?

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I can remember all the hoopla when Woodcock did a similar action on Faianga last year, and all the condemnation that went with it (deservedly so) and am amused by the double standard under display.

You mean this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kLEcVW7DAs

Where Fainga'a is on his knees behind the ruck and not bound to anyone and Woodcock smashes him in the back. Yeah, completely similar.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I really dislike the whole double standards thing.

I am on record here as stating that all #7's cheat. It is part of their job description. I admire Sir Richie's style and his Cloak of Invisibility. I admire Bam Bam's tailor. He must have acquired some fabric from Richie's tailor in Christchurch recently.

I really hate the parents who whinge about the bigger (often PI extraction) boy and how dangerous they are in Junior footy. These same parents are the first to ask if the same big boys will be playing with their precious darlings in the District Rep team. ie It is not OK for big boys to play for opposition village clubs, but it is OK when they either play for my club, or Rep team.

Same kak double standards as the McCaw is a cheat.

If you are going to whinge when a Soap Dodger, or Le Frogge, Bokke, or Darkness does a shoulder charge, third man in or whatever, then you lose Jarse respect when you do not similarly cry foul on the very rare occurrence when one of the Men in Gold do similar. In the immortal words of P Divvers, "It is not tiddly winks", but we must be consistent and objective.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Didn't take them long...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318333402.252841.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318333402.252841.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 279
Status
Not open for further replies.