• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Semi Final 1 - NZ vs RSA Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I wonder if this bronze match is where Meyer plays every quota-friendly player in the squad to pad his numbers? On the other hand he's probably given up on the possibility of retaining his position so might as well go out with a bang with whoever he fancies.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
What make you think this?

Not based on an informed source if that's what you're asking. More to do with the general attitude saffer fans have towards him and his gameplan. Fan views tend to very closely follow what their media is feeding them, and if the media is against him and his gameplan then the clock is ticking.

Add to that the fact that Boks have probably underperformed this year and he's copped shit about too little transformation. When the media, politicians and fans are against you you are on very thin ice in South Africa.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Not based on an informed source if that's what you're asking. More to do with the general attitude saffer fans have towards him and his gameplan. Fan views tend to very closely follow what their media is feeding them, and if the media is against him and his gameplan then the clock is ticking.

Add to that the fact that Boks have probably underperformed this year and he's copped shit about too little transformation. When the media, politicians and fans are against you you are on very thin ice in South Africa.
Every Bok coach is on thin ice.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
I wonder if this bronze match is where Meyer plays every quota-friendly player in the squad to pad his numbers? On the other hand he's probably given up on the possibility of retaining his position so might as well go out with a bang with whoever he fancies.

Ironically, reports quoting "reliable sources" (according to them) have popped up again suggesting that he has already been signed for another term.

Luckily the only guys I was worried about as quotas, performed well in the limited time they were given.

The problem now is the quotas proposed for 2016-2019 - they have put actual numbers to it, which is scary because that means that, even if you have only 2 black players that are really worth it and you need 5/6/7, there will be 3/4/5 players that are clearly sub-par.

It's already difficult enough to get a win against the RC teams as it is. If you're cutting off your own feet it becomes impossible.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Nevertheless. They usually have at least one of the politicians or fans/media supporting him. And they can usually point to a much better track record than HM can.

To be fair, not many have had better overall records. And he was the first to win Super Rugby. The 2009/10 winners were also built on his foundations. Christie and White had better records than him, but he's matched Mallett. The rest have been worse.

Yet he's been the most criticised. And it's not like his gameplan has been any worse than those of his predecessors - in fact, it's been more dynamic before this year. This year going back to what we trust has been a mistake I think, but that's what we do it seems when results start going against us.

Hopefully he learns from that.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hopefully he learns from that.

Henry learned from 2007 and took the ABs to another level. The alternative was for NZ to change coach/direction and start another four year plan.

The boks look to have some great young players to build around. If I was on the bok board, I would be asking Meyer what he has learned and what he would do differently next time. The springbok fans will come round very quickly if he gets some good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I've written at length about government interference on sporting matters, it's one point where rugby would do well to take a leaf out of FIFA's book. Just this year in May the Indonesian FA was suspended by FIFA after the national government meddled in matters soccer. On this issue I feel for my Saffer brothers-in-rugby, but there's simply no place for government intervention of any sort in the administration of sport. How many white players does the SAf government insist shirt up for Bafana Bafana?

If anyone from the iRB/WR (World Rugby) happens to read this site, well, take the hint.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
These quotas seem to be a misguided and poorly executed attempt at positive discrimination to me. Still ridiculous really. I heard a rumour somewhere that Habana doesn't count towards the quota as he is the wrong type of black. Not entirely sure where I heard that though so please discount if I am wrong!

Either way, surely South African rugby would be better suited putting its money into making rugby more accessible to more of the population? I mean lets be honest, the Springboks have been consistently the 2nd best side in the world using only a tiny portion of their population. It's impressive really.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
There are a lot of unsung heroes in this squad, some players and coaches and support staff. But there is one who has been scrutinized and who's ability to really stand up and direct our play has always been in question, most of the time unfairly.
How fucking good is Bernard Foley? Not just the goal kicking or directing the back line, or the passes to people in space. His defense has been unbelievable. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time to fearlessly drop whichever beast is storming towards the try line.
He has become a world class 5/8 and like many others has had a lot to do with our success so far in this RWC.
Hats off to BF.

Think you got the wrong forum.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
These quotas seem to be a misguided and poorly executed attempt at positive discrimination to me. Still ridiculous really. I heard a rumour somewhere that Habana doesn't count towards the quota as he is the wrong type of black. Not entirely sure where I heard that though so please discount if I am wrong!

Either way, surely South African rugby would be better suited putting its money into making rugby more accessible to more of the population? I mean lets be honest, the Springboks have been consistently the 2nd best side in the world using only a tiny portion of their population. It's impressive really.

The rest of the population either
a) don't give a shit about rugby
b) do not have the body types for the game
c) see it as the game of the Afrikaner and hence want nothing of it

This applies to the majority of black people other than a few regions of the country and black kids who play it in private schools.

For so called "colored" people like Habana it is different.

Lots has been done to try and get more black kids involved at grassroots level. I have always felt that by and large it is not really going to happen. Sure wer will see more black kids from the Easten Cape for instance but it's a very small number.

we are seeing some black African's cone through in Currie Cup this year but it's not huge numbers.

For the most part it is just a beat up.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Adams
Mvovo
Kolisi
Nyakane

Who else?

They all deserve a shot anyway and must start.

Kirchner had his chance but even being shit he'll still get another go.

Except for Kirchner these are all very good players in their own right.
I have no problem seeing:

Kriel / Lambie
Kirchner / Kriel
Serfontein
De Allende
Steyn - becuase Meyer's love for him will overcome logic
Adams
Duane
Kolisi
Alberts
PS du Toit
Etzebeth
Jannie
Brits
Nyakane

Let the guys play who would want to start now instead of the guys who are farked by now.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Rudy Paige but I don't know why.

Lol.

It must be confusing for Blue, I sometimes confuse them too. Heinie Adams was a coloured Bulls scrum half, most notably playing in the 2007 semi-final and final after du Preez got injured. He was a fringe Springbok too.

The above currently applies to Rudy Paige - current Bulls scrum half who is also a fringe Springbok.

It can be confusing.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
To do chicken running or to bitch about PoC's in SA wont help the cause.

and if you think we dont have racism in our sport, you are also naive because I saw this in our club hockey system many a time.

Well I have a son who aspire to play next year against the Aussie schools hockey.

Means I know all this inside out because it is not only rugby but all SA sport suffering from this.

I have to deal with this in my house hold to explain and to motivate my kid about all this which aint easy or fun. You can only change things you can control and this is to motivate him to work harder which isnt a bad thing.

Cricket and rugby is doing well, specially in this part of SA.

Anyways here is Saru's guidelines for the future.

http://images.supersport.com/content/SARUSTP.pdf

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
To do chicken running or to bitch about PoC's in SA wont help the cause.

and if you think we dont have racism in our sport, you are also naive because I saw this in our club hockey system many a time.

Well I have a son who aspire to play next year against the Aussie schools hockey.

Means I know all this inside out because it is not only rugby but all SA sport suffering from this.

I have to deal with this in my house hold to explain and to motivate my kid about all this which aint easy or fun. You can only change things you can control and this is to motivate him to work harder which isnt a bad thing.

Cricket and rugby is doing well, specially in this part of SA.

Anyways here is Saru's guidelines for the future.

http://images.supersport.com/content/SARUSTP.pdf

Players going overseas has more to do with our currency getting more and more fucked and less to do with players of all races feeling they are not getting what they deserve - but it does play a role in some cases, you would be naive to believe otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.