• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Semi Final 1 - NZ vs RSA Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Again. It's not the players.
They are coached to play like this. Week in, week out. It is very plain to see. They dare not pass.Theee is NOTHING wrong with de Allende's passing. His real strength is the offload. He has not tried it ONCE against Wales or last night.

I'm starting to annoy myself now. I'm out. See you guys next year for Super Rugby. Go Wallabies.

It's the old adage, a team is better off not being coached at all than being coached badly.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if those in charge of Bokdom will now look at the outdated mode of play they have been running ever since Jake White was in charge. Also take note Wales and England.

All three of the above mentioned teams had the players and skills in their squads to play an attacking game. They didn't, they played a risk averse game and did absolutely nothing with the ball in hand. The worrying thing for many rugby supporters in these nations wanting to see some endeavour from their sides is the easy argument is already being made that these sides were not far off beating the sides that have beaten them. In the case of Australia V Wales and last night in this game the ABs and Australia played pretty poorly. Australia defended very well and met the questions asked of them, and last night the Bok asked no questions really, and the ABs I thought were pretty average.

Also I hope Larkham and the Brumbies take note, these tactics will get you wins against average attacking sides, but against a side that really attacks with some accuracy, even a tier 2 side like Japan, it will get you a loss.

My final thought is that the old rule that no team has ever won the RWC and lost a pool game should again be true.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Is going fishing during an All Black test grounds for revocation of NZ citizenship?:)

Not when the game is screening at 4am so we don't need to depart until game over.;)

At least I didn't bet against the ABs. I know a certain someone sporting a shiny new avatar based on last weeks game.

Not saying who, but:

dismal%20free_zps1d1ocsq8.jpg

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I should also have mentioned tha I was shocked at how poor the kicking from hand was from the Boks. The overused box kicks getting poor distance, and a couple none at all, and the ball rarely going out to play to what one would have assumed would be a Bok strength, the lineout. All round a very limited display by the Bok.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There are much worse things I've done than that to worry me about 'feeling like and idiot'

To an extent my view stands. If he wanted to avoid contact he would have.

fair enough Scotty, post was meant to be very tongue in cheek.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This was the right result I think, the AB's clearly played nearly all the footy out there last night and deserved the win. The Boks could have done a lot more I feel and in fact there were a few times in the first half where they had the pill and a decent roll on, only to kick the bloody thing away. I don't get that.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
The score flattered the Boks. Not sure how much longer Meyer has on his contract but I fear that the loss by two points might be translated into a good enough performance for him to keep his position.
We really do need an injection of fresh ideas into the Bok team. We lose anyway so we may as well lose playing good rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Regardless of what people say about the Springbok style of play, immense credit goes to them for the defence and their commitment. The All Blacks had 57% of possession, 67% of territory and could still only win by two points. The Boks were also very disciplined - only conceding 3 penalties in their own half, so it can't be said that cynical infringements stopped the ABs scoring more tries.

Yes, the weather played a small part, but credit where it is due.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am late to the party as I've only just seen the game. Credit to the all blacks, they controlled the game from about when Kaino got binned. Even though it has a thrilling game, it was difficult to see boks scoring by other than a penalty goal. The defence from both teams was huge, although the ABs job was made easier by the boks predictability. You have to wonder if the might have been another YC against the ABs for the accumulated penalties if the boks were showing more endeavour. My replay had stransky commentating and even he was calling for the boks to put the ball through some hands, but they only really chanced it after the 80th minute. Anyways, the ABs have shown they can win games with both their attack and defence against top teams. They will be strong favourites for the final.

Graces had a great game I thought.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Another interesting call was the JP Pietersen intercept that was called back for a penalty to NZ but then the TMO immediately reversed the penalty for a neck roll. Even though it was the right decision in real time, I wonder what would have come of the situation had Pietersen scored? Would the try have stood given the original penalty had been reversed?

The only problem with that scenario is the fact Garces blew his whistle. When he blows the whistle the play stops. Unless of course he didn't blow his whistle or Pietersen scores the try before he blows the whistle. But then Garces already had the arm out.

So no try.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
^^^^^^^
Garces was very good, I thought.
I thought he was consistent which is always good but I wondered why he stopped pinging the all blacks for offside in the backline after 10 mins. He could've awarded far more penalties to sa as the nzers weathered the storm of early penalties and carried on infringing. There was no room or time for the sa forwards to make the gain line as a result

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Loved the game. Thought the South Africans could have done more if their game plan wasn't so limited. They have the forwards to beat anyone. Strangely tho they got hammered in the lneouts until. Matfield came on. De Preez box kcks were brilliant to start but then when it started raining got longer and just gave the ball back. Hats off to Hansen for his game plan. Force sa to play out from deep and then stifle their running. De Allende and kriel were great to begin with but then got suffocated as the game went on. Right result but imho South Africa have the making of a great side if they'd adopt a more attacking style

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Loved the game. Thought the South Africans could have done more if their game plan wasn't so limited. They have the forwards to beat anyone. Strangely tho they got hammered in the lneouts until. Matfield came on. De Preez box kcks were brilliant to start but then when it started raining got longer and just gave the ball back. Hats off to Hansen for his game plan. Force sa to play out from deep and then stifle their running. De Allende and kriel were great to begin with but then got suffocated as the game went on. Right result but imho South Africa have the making of a great side if they'd adopt a more attacking style

Not strange, AB's have best lineout at the moment. Simple.

Agree with all the rest.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
the ABs hadn't contested the line out t so Franks was able to effect a tackle

That was done by the Baby Blacks in the Under 20 World Championships, and by Ireland a couple of times, against South Africa, with Cronin zipping around to sack the ball carrier. It's not illegal, nor a big secret, just not something many expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.