• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Semi Final 2 - Australia v Argentina Twickenham, Monday 19 October, 2:45 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Argentina isn't an unbeatable team. They struggled in the first half against an Irish team reduced by injuries.

The Irishmen played without 5 starters like Sexton (their kicker and best player) O'Connell (their captain) the starter backrow (O'Mahony and O'Brien) and Jarryd Payne (Their best centre).

Is like a Wallabies side without the best player (Pocock), without the captain (Moore), without 2 flankers (Hooper and Fardy) and without the most dangerous back (Folau or Kuridrani) and they had struggled to contain in the first half, playing their most important game of the tournament like our game vs England in Twickenham.

They played the most important game of the tournament. They knew it looooooong time ago that they had an easy pool and the game against Ireland or France in Quarters would be the most important for them.

In contrast, Australia had the easier Quarters. Everyone took Australia as an easy winner over the weak Scotland, the bookies gave no chance to the Scots so the players played decentralized and relaxed. Thinking more in the semi-final before to beat William Wallace. Big mistake

And I'm sure the lads aren't going to make the same mistake 2 times in a row. They will play hard as they did against the Pommies and the defence will be tough as Wales game. The Argies will have problems with the Aussies

T

TOCC

It's a shame the Wallabies have lost Sio, i would like to say that they don't lose much in the scrummaging department by swapping Sio with Slipper but the reality is Sio is a better scrummager. The scum battle will no doubt be a ferocious one.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Argentina isn't an unbeatable team. They struggled in the first half against an Irish team reduced by injuries.

The Irishmen played without 5 starters like Sexton (their kicker and best player) O'Connell (their captain) the starter backrow (O'Mahony and O'Brien) and Jarryd Payne (Their best centre).

Is like a Wallabies side without the best player (Pocock), without the captain (Moore), without 2 flankers (Hooper and Fardy) and without the most dangerous back (Folau or Kuridrani) and they had struggled to contain in the first half, playing their most important game of the tournament like our game vs England in Twickenham.

They played the most important game of the tournament. They knew it looooooong time ago that they had an easy pool and the game against Ireland or France in Quarters would be the most important for them.

In contrast, Australia had the easier Quarters. Everyone took Australia as an easy winner over the weak Scotland, the bookies gave no chance to the Scots so the players played decentralized and relaxed. Thinking more in the semi-final before to beat William Wallace. Big mistake

And I'm sure the lads aren't going to make the same mistake 2 times in a row. They will play hard as they did against the Pommies and the defence will be tough as Wales game. The Argies will have problems with the Aussies

pretty much agree with all this summary... still as nervous as shit.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Big opportunity for Slipper to challenge for his old starting spot moving forward. He should be fired up!

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
People are underestimating the Argies' chances. Citing the RC game earlier is not that great of an indicator given they played a new centre pairing and Camacho.

Even then, you have to remember that it was relatively even for 50-60 minutes and the last 5-10 minutes flattered us.

Their attack is a lot more potent as evidenced by their RWC form. Hernandez and Bosch in the midfield will bolster their defence and bring composure to an otherwise dynamic backline.

Saying they will be emotionally spent after the Irish win is a little patronising as well.

I might have to put a fiver on Los Pumas @3.5 as assurance.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's a mistake dropping Moroni for Bosch. Moroni has been their best player their last 2 games.

Relance

Herbert Moran (7)
Not emotionally spent, but still feeling the psychological aftereffects of that euphoric win.

Yes, they played superbly:
  • What stroke me was their attitudes before and in contact: protecting the ball, targeting the weak shoulder, accelerating right before impact. This allowed them to make those crucial yards over the advantage line every single time. Good technique and good reading of the game.
  • Together with the urgency and accuracy of their big boppers, it ensured that ruck cleaning was effective, i.e. that they kept possession and did not consume too many players at the expense of the next phase.
  • They took full advantage of that quick and clean ball by using the width and depth of the field with various clever patterns (one of their playmakers always involved). There were some pretty slick skills on display, too.
That being said, everything clicked: the passes stuck, the moves paid off early, the ball bounced their way quite a few times (on Imhoff and Tuculet's tries, after a couple of lucky-johnny grubbers), and Herrera didn't cope the red card he probably deserved. Not to mention that the Kearney bros really aren't great defenders.

Provided Australia defends aggressively, using its shooters to good effect, the Argies might struggle to cross the advantage line. They might also want to commit a couple more players to the ruck early, for obvious reasons. That will in turn seriously affect the shape of their attack and their ability to use width.

While I think they could pose Australia all sorts of problems if they play down the field with quick pick n go as they did against NZ successfully in the first half, I don't believe that's what they'll be aiming for. They will be confident in their ability to replicate the stellar moves from last week.

But the Pooper will be in their way.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So, the injury front. You can all stop pissing your pants like a bunch of frightened kindergarten kids, for starters.

Its all a fucking trick, don't you get it?

Last week, Cheik was bullish ("confident") about the chances of Folau and Pocock making it. Never a hint that they wouldn't, until the team was named. We were all hoping but slightly pessimistic.

This week, again he said "more likely than not to play" after the Scots game.

THEN he smokescreens the fuck out of the watching media by sticking Poey on a bike and telling Izzy to start limping after a few minutes then piss off to the sheds.

Just for good measure, he's asked Swoop to have a run with the injured boys, to make it look like it isn't the biggest pisstake in the history of Rugby.

This is the bloke who "didn't know" there were bonus points. Like fuck!

Now, he's probably aware that Hourcade and the Pumas don't give dos mierdas what he does with team selection, but he doesn't care either, because its just a way to drum up some media and a bit of panic, change the betting odds slightly, and have a good laugh at all of us.

When the team is announced and Poey and Izzy are front and centre, everyone in gold will be laughing their arses off.

Monty-Python-2.jpeg

Artist's rendition of said laughing arses off.

^^^^^^ This bloke. How fucking good?

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
It's a shame the Wallabies have lost Sio, i would like to say that they don't lose much in the scrummaging department by swapping Sio with Slipper but the reality is Sio is a better scrummager. The scum battle will no doubt be a ferocious one.

Perhaps, but I'd hardly go calling Slipper a shithouse scrummager, either.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Don't you be talking shit about my Fat Yak. Better than any of the shit they serve north of the Tweed.

Alcopop beer, but guess what, they serve it here as well. And another thing which I'm sure you know - it ain't from NSW!

Try our Newstead Brewery beers if you can find some (or go there next time you are in Brisbane - I'll even shout you one!)

Reactions: gel

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fingers crossed that the risk of playing Folau and Pocock pays off and that they'll still be right to play in the final should we make it.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Alcopop beer, but guess what, they serve it here as well. And another thing which I'm sure you know - it ain't from NSW!

Try our Newstead Brewery beers if you can find some (or go there next time you are in Brisbane - I'll even shout you one!)

I'll be in Brisvegas next year for the Rebels v Reds. I'll hold you to that...

Status
Not open for further replies.