• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 SF1: New Zealand v England

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Talk about stranded in paradise, joint we're staying at in Raro has a lagoon 10m from our room, a pool with a bar in it but no satellite TV. Mission now is to find a place that's showing the SF.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Talk about stranded in paradise, joint we're staying at in Raro has a lagoon 10m from our room, a pool with a bar in it but no satellite TV. Mission now is to find a place that's showing the SF.

I was in Raro for the last RWC and they were showing the All Blacks game in the main street down by the pier.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...l/news-story/e745889724fb215ead7aea451cb7ded6

Eddie is up an at them, imagine Cheika declaring the NZ rugby media as fans with keyboards? Accurate and precise.

The noise would be unending.

They have studiously avoided them as much as possible, once in 5 years.

If only we had that luxury, play them far too regularly. Does nothing for us other than reinforcement of the gap between us.

Reality is the $’s are critical but the cost is enormous.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...l/news-story/e745889724fb215ead7aea451cb7ded6

Eddie is up an at them, imagine Cheika declaring the NZ rugby media as fans with keyboards? Accurate and precise.

If only we had that luxury, play them far too regularly. Does nothing for us other than reinforcement of the gap between us.

Well, the hard truth is, we haven't narrowed the gap, we have let it increase through poorer and poorer Wallaby quality. Let's not create soft story boards.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Gotta love Eddie, I actually think it quite funny that people bite when he says things. he even made all these comments about someone filming their training and then said it may of been a Japanese fan. So why bother , except he can take some pressure of his team, it's an old trick make it about the opposition and noone asks you difficult questions about your own team. I actually like him, and can understand why him and Hansen are mates.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Gotta love Eddie, I actually think it quite funny that people bite when he says things. he even made all these comments about someone filming their training and then said it may of been a Japanese fan. So why bother , except he can take some pressure of his team, it's an old trick make it about the opposition and noone asks you difficult questions about your own team. I actually like him, and can understand why him and Hansen are mates.

I actually think he does it to keep the media occupied. He knows the NZ team and Hansen won't pay attention so he can say whatever.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I actually think he does it to keep the media occupied. He knows the NZ team and Hansen won't pay attention so he can say whatever.

Whereas he knew Cheik would, so would say it to get under the skin, and would still say whatever

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)

Exactly.

This is from a few days ago

Hansen claims these jibes are fun and games, part of the preliminary to the main theatre.

“You see some of the banter which is really only to help promote the game as being, ‘Oh, these guys don’t like each other’, which couldn’t be further from the truth."

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)

Yes but Cheika's presser tone was unnecessarily combative, whilst EJ (Eddie Jones) is having a bit of banter.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Suggestions that S.Barrett will start at blindside, Savea at openside, and Cane on the bench.

The All Blacks are in line to spring a major surprise when naming their team to play England in their Rugby World Cup semifinal on Saturday.

NZME understands that Scott Barrett is set to be given the nod to start at blindside flanker, with Ardie Savea moving to openside flanker and Sam Cane dropping to the bench.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12279196

I'm unconvinced this isn't just a ploy to make sure Cane sets some sort of unbeatable record for 'most caps without playing all of the top tier nations'.

EDIT: And supposedly some other suggestions that Moli will start ahead of Ta'avao, which I would not be at all opposed to. Quite the opposite, really.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
And on the English side of things...

George Ford has been tipped to make shock return to the England starting team for Saturday's World Cup semifinal against the All Blacks. UK newspaper, the Telegraph, has reported that Ford will come into the starting team at first-five, with Owen Farrell moving out to No 12 and Manu Tuilagi playing at centre.

England coach Eddie Jones is also expected to tinker with his forwards and call up George Kruis to play a lock, in place of Courtney Lawes. Kruis is expected to be more of a handful in the lineouts than Lawes, with Jones believing this will be a crucial part of Saturday's game in Yokohama.

Jonny May, the winger who scored two tries against the Wallabies last weekend, is expected to recover from his hamstring injury and will be available to play.

Ford's recall will be bad news for Henry Slade, who'll be making way in the starting team for him. Slade got the nod to play against Australia because Jones feared the physical presence in the midfield of Samu Kerevi. The expected All Blacks midfield of Anton Lienert-Brown and Jack Goodhue will provide England with challenges, but running directly up the middle of the field won't one that features as prominently as it did with the Wallabies.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ected-to-bring-back-george-ford-for-semifinal

Potentially dual playmakers and reinforced lineout's on both sides. Have a sneaky suspicion that there just may be a bit of kicking in this one.