• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A; 2:45am (AEDT) Sunday 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought players were deemed to have "clean records" as far as RWC matters are concerned. I am not sure any past offences are taken at all into consideration.
Only pre-tournament yellow cards are wiped from the slate and aren't taken into account - everyone starts at zero and if you get to 3 you have to face the panel.

Previous non-wc disciplinary issues can still be taken into account during sentencing.

Hooper was suspended for foul play only 3 months ago, so if he's found guilty you'd think he's not going to get any mitigation, he will at least get the low end sanction, which is 2 weeks.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good point BH. It was interesting that the wallaby management had made rumblings about challenging QC (Quade Cooper)'s yellow card from the previous week but I am guessing that never happened? I agree that it would be a good deal safer to take the slap on the wrist, have Hooper sit this one out and be back on board the following week, though assuming we beat Wales (not disrespect CB) I wouldn't be too worried about Scotland either. If he is going to spend any time riding the pine then the next couple of weeks would be the best IMO.

Personally, I didn't like the look of the clean-out at all and regardless of which way you slice-n-dice it I think an off-field yellow would be a fair call, but nothing more.

I agree fully as long as someone takes Hooper aside and really tells him that he was a prize prick. But now, best thing to do is plead guilty and cop the suspension which hopefully will be the minimum 2

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Only pre-tournament yellow cards are wiped from the slate and aren't taken into account - everyone starts at zero and if you get to 3 you have to face the panel.

Previous non-wc disciplinary issues can still be taken into account during sentencing.

Hooper was suspended for foul play only 3 months ago, so if he's found guilty you'd think he's not going to get any mitigation, he will at least get the low end sanction, which is 2 weeks.

I had a feeling that the slate wasn't being wiped totally clean in terms of track record and that's why the Islanders were copping such whopping bans.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Make_Your_Pooper_Angry.jpg

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I had a feeling that the slate wasn't being wiped totally clean in terms of track record and that's why the Islanders were copping such whopping bans

There's a process- determine guilt, determine recommended sanction, take weeks off for mitigating factors, add them on again for aggravating factors, so you can generally get some idea of what sanction will be handed down

Also, the RWC (and SANZAR - don't know about others) always publishes their reasoning behind discipline proceedings

eg here's manasa Saluo's 10 weeks

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Yup:

"All players will be regarded as having commenced the Tournament without any yellow cards or Citing Commissioner Warnings on their record .."; and

"The list of YC & CWC accumulated [in-Tournament] will be re-set ito zero... immediately after the quarter finals.."

http://pulse-static-files.s3.amazon.89506e44/150723_WC15_Disciplinary_Process.pdf

On one hand they go full on about safety and cleaning the game up but are prepared to do this. Resetting to zero after the QF? WTF. Nice one.

Bizarre but happy to take the assistance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree fully as long as someone takes Hooper aside and really tells him that he was a prize prick. But now, best thing to do is plead guilty and cop the suspension which hopefully will be the minimum 2

What's the deal with the prize prick comment?

It was a situation where he should have run in to make a cleanout. It was our ball and Genia couldn't get it out because Brown was in the ruck slowing it down.

The only issue at hand is whether or not he used his arms which is touch and go because his left hand makes contact with Brown as he makes impact with him.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It Hooper didn't use his right arm at all and lead with his shoulder. I don't think he'll got off because he attempted to wrap his left arm around him. I don't think using one arm counts as legal.

It's a 50/50, cos it looks fine from the left picture but horrible from the right picture.

I hope McMahon is up to it. I know there are big wraps around this guy but if I recall correctly, their was the same hype around him last year after he tore the barbarian apart, only to be a passenger in his next Test. I hope he isn't a player who is just great a carving up the minnows. No doubt he will be an outstanding test player but is it still too soon?

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
What's the deal with the prize prick comment?

It was a situation where he should have run in to make a cleanout. It was our ball and Genia couldn't get it out because Brown was in the ruck slowing it down.

The only issue at hand is whether or not he used his arms which is touch and go because his left hand makes contact with Brown as he makes impact with him.

I mean that IMO other than this brain fart, Hooper played the game of his life and I'm sorry I don't see that as a simple clean out, or if that's a within the definition of one then my cock's a kipper.

For whatever reason, he decided that he was going to leave his mark on Brown, lines him up from more that 5 m and dives straight at at his head with no arms. I have a feeling that I'm not alone in viewing the incident that way given the citing.

If he'd tried a more conventional clean out then you would've been rightly aggrieved if Poite hadn't given a penalty to Australia for Brown entering from the side

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If all these players are getting cited then why aren't the referees getting hammered for not giving out red cards for red card worthy incidents?

Probably are. It just happens behind the scenes. The refs are professionals, and their performances are reviewed after each match with feedback given.

That does not guarantee that their performances will improve though.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
What makes it worse is that if Poite had seen the incident the same way as the commissioner we might not be celebrating an Australian win or the fact that this aside Hooper was quite simply brilliant.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I mean that IMO other than this brain fart, Hooper played the game of his life and I'm sorry I don't see that as a simple clean out, or if that's a within the definition of one then my cock's a kipper.

For whatever reason, he decided that he was going to leave his mark on Brown, lines him up from more that 5 m and dives straight at at his head with no arms. I have a feeling that I'm not alone in viewing the incident that way given the citing.

If he'd tried a more conventional clean out then you would've been rightly aggrieved if Poite hadn't given a penalty to Australia for Brown entering from the side

He doesn't dive straight at his head. He's still on his feet when he makes contact.

I agree that he connects with his right shoulder without his right arm binding, but his left arm makes contact at the same time he connects with Brown.

If it was such an awful play then you'd think that a) England players would have charged in to defend their player and b) Mike Brown wouldn't have got straight back up and got on with the game.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Well looks like Hooper is out for a week, so the world will unfortunately have to wait until the QF to enjoy another amazing Pooper display.

So the big question seems to be McMahon v McCalman. Tough call. McMahon is the most like-for-like replacement, but McCalman is the more experienced player.

Wales are going to be more dangerous at the breakdown than England, so which player will be most effective in the attacking and defending rucks?

EDIT: On reflection I think I'd go with McCalman to start, with McMahon on the bench. We need to be prepared for the fact that Pooper/Hooper might not be both available for one of the big knock out games. I'm not sure McMahon is quite ready to start in those games. I'd prefer to go with the more experienced McCalman who was one of our best last year on tour.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Well looks like Hooper is out for a week, so the world will unfortunately have to wait until the QF to enjoy another amazing Pooper display.

So the big question seems to be McMahon v McCalman. Tough call. McMahon is the most like-for-like replacement, but McCalman is the more experienced player.

Wales are going to be more dangerous at the breakdown than England, so which player will be most effective in the attacking and defending rucks?

EDIT: On reflection I think I'd go with McCalman to start, with McMahon on the bench. We need to be prepared for the fact that Pooper/Hooper might not be both available for one of the big knock out games. I'm not sure McMahon is quite ready to start in those games. I'd prefer to go with the more experienced McCalman who was one of our best last year on tour.

I hope McMahon will start I'd want to give Poey more experience at the back of the scrum.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
At least now that the mungoes and the dancing has finished we only have to compete with the Socceroos for media coverage. I know they'll replay the mungoes highlights for another week but that should wear a bit thin by the time of the Wales match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cricket started this week (Good wins to NSW and Tasmania on the weekend). Having said that, it will take a week or so for all that to ramp up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom