• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v WAL (Twickenham): POOL A; 2:45am (AEDT) Sunday 11 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Loved this quote:
"TWO powerful Aussies got together at an Australian Rugby Foundation function this week in London. One was a successful businessman who loves sport and the Rabbitohs, has been known to scrap in Sydney’s east and always gets what he wants. The other was James Packer."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/r...ith-james-packer/story-e6frf4zl-1227561993192
Bit different to dingo and mckenzie..

Wish James Packer put his money into Rugby instead of Souths

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Loved this quote:
"TWO powerful Aussies got together at an Australian Rugby Foundation function this week in London. One was a successful businessman who loves sport and the Rabbitohs, has been known to scrap in Sydney’s east and always gets what he wants. The other was James Packer."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/r...ith-james-packer/story-e6frf4zl-1227561993192
Bit different to dingo and mckenzie..

What about the Australian Rugby Foundation?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looking forward to see McMahon play against Wales as been form player but for players like him and Gill they are unfortunate to have two world class 7's above them in Hooper and pocock. Although it seems pocock is destined to hold onto 8 position for some considerable time ahead as been very successful. And suspect this game will show that with player of quality of McMahon at 7, Fardy at 6 (lets not forget how consistently awesome he has been) and pocock at 8 if Hooper gets injured we have plenty of backups to keep the same strategy going.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
As I said. I an see plenty of ways we can balls this up and ways we can win. But think ch is right not to play the first xv. This game isn't do or die. Time to test the cover in key positions. Worry is that when he last tried this vs Ireland I cringed for 50 minutes

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wallabies by 6 is my official tip - locked and loaded in the machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Gonna hedge my bets. Australia by 20 or Wales by 3
That's an interesting way to split it. The majority of the Wallabies' wins since 2007 have been closer to that 3 point mark than 20 point thumpings, so I'm going with 3 point margin again in either direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
It's gonna come down to how wales go in first 20 mins. No time for the expermental backline to settle. Australia will send it wide from the off. If we're 14 or more down its gonna be a helluva climb to get back. If it's close at half time we ll win
I reckon it'll come down to the last 20 minutes. Whichever team finishes strongest will win.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I saw there wasn't a match preview on the main site, so I've written one, and sent it to Gagger, but I may be too late for publication. So I'm leaving it here. :)

Pool Party - Australia vs. Wales

Like the two unassuming lads who join forces to evict the overbearing bully from the party, Wales and Australia now get to compete for the beautiful girl.

The fact that it was the bully's party, and the girl is called Bill, are mere bagatelles. Watching Australia push England out the door with a firm Argentinian shove was worth the price of admission on its own.

Sir Clive Woodward, Brian Moore and Danny Cipriani can still be heard, whining in the kitchen.

Meanwhile, Wales and Australia get to party!

This is the 38th game between these two proud rugby nations. Australia have won 27, including the last ten. But the difference between the teams is much closer than the statistics suggest. The average points difference in those ten games was just six points. If we ignore the relative blowout of the 2009 test that the Wallabies won 33-12, the difference falls to just four.

Hardly the stuff of dominance. More a case of the Wallabies continually winning by the skin of their teeth, with last-gasp tries like Kurtley Beale's in 2012, which pushed Wales back to ninth in the rankings, and set up the infamous pool of death.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Beale is on the bench today, and what an interesting bench it is: Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper, Greg Holmes, Rob Simmons, Ben McCalman, Nick Phipps, Matt To'omua and Kurtley Beale. Plenty of potential starters there. Plenty of players who were (and are) in many peoples' first XVs.

Welcome to the age of the finisher.

And not coincidentally, welcome to the new age of Wallaby depth. With the exception of a few outright freaks such as David Pocock and Israel Folau, we can now field two XVs of more or less equal strength.

Michael Hooper suspended? Get a Sean McMahon. Rob Horne injured? How about Australia's World Cup try-scoring record-holder Drew Mitchell? This is unprecedented in Wallaby rugby.

Wales might not be as lavishly stacked on the bench, but they're a very strong team. They beat England, and they beat them by out-finishing them. They're superbly fit. This could be a finish for the ages.

Fascinatingly, Wales have chosen to fight fire with fire and pick two opensides. Sam Warburton and Justin Tipuric are both outstanding on the ball. Tiputron vs. Pokemon! Twickenham could get burned down yet again!

The main difference between the two back rows is that Wales have picked a traditional eight man in Taulupe Faletau, while Australia is continuing the experiment of playing David Pocock at eight. And what an experiment it has been. Pocock has lost none of his impact on the ground, pushes like a monster in the scrum, and runs like one in the loose.

What more could we ask of an eight, apart from a few more centimetres for the lineout?

The lineout? That may be interesting. Wales have a tall lineout, with Luke Charteris at 2.09m leading the way. That's a whopping seven centimetres taller than our tallest man, Kane Douglas. Our chief lineout caller, Rob Simmons, is on the bench. Whether this is for a rest before a long finals run, or because Mumm provides more in the loose, is hard to say.Presumably it's the first. Simmons is a key cog in the Wallaby machine. Never the most glamourous player, it's Simmons who keeps the lineout component of the set piece running smoothly. Expect to see him back.

But also, perhaps, expect to see Wales lead in this element of the game.

Michael Cheika's saying nothing. That appears to be Cheika's pre-game method in this tournament: to let the team do the talking on the field. Long may it continue. Of course that hasn't stopped him being outspoken after the games, as we've seen. But that consists mainly of talking bollocks with a sly metaphorical wink.

We're unlikely to ever see him having a cringeworthy moan on Twitter, and may that continue as well.

This is shaping up as a fascinating game. Route One to the RWC final lies one way. A horror draw lies the other, with the possibility of having to meet South Africa, New Zealand and then the winner of this game again.

It's also shaping up as an exciting game. This is a good Wallaby side. It may be a very good one. In a month's time we might be calling it a great one.

Wales won't give an inch. They have their own unstoppable force in George North. Anyone who can remember him picking up Israel Folau, or wagging a finger at Will Genia as he scored a bombastic winger's try, won't want to see either of those things again.

Key Contests:

George North vs. Israel Folau

5_2603695k.jpg

Who can forget George North lifting up Israel Folau in a fireman lift and then running with him down the field? That one probably ended up about even, with North faceplanting the Melbourne turf. The turf eventually recovered.

North is at 13 today. This is also Folau's habitual channel from the back. These two great attacking players will come in contact.

Tiputron vs. Pokemon

pvt.png

What a marvellous development: two teams intentionally playing twin opensides in a crucial World Cup game. Eddie Jones, you were ahead of your time. I think we have to give the edge to Pokemon in this, simply because of Pocock's enormous powers. There isn't a lot between Pocock right now, and Richie McCaw at his peak. And that's saying something.

McMahon is his own force of nature. There's no clear limit to his potential. He might end up the best of them all.

Prediction:

This game is going to go one of two ways. If Wales succumb to simple exhaustion, and a long injury list that sees several of their top players in the stands, then the Wallabies could put on a score.

I don't think they will. Wales are too proud, and too good.

History suggests this will go down to the wire.

Wallabies by five.

Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Drew Mitchell, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Will Genia, 8 David Pocock, 7 Sean McMahon, 6 Scott Fardy, 5 Dean Mumm, 4 Kane Douglas, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Stephen Moore (c) 1 Scott Sio
Replacements: 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 James Slipper, 18 Greg Holmes, 19 Rob Simmons, 20 Ben McCalman, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Matt To'omua, 23 Kurtley Beale

Wales: 15 Gareth Anscombe, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 George North, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 Liam Williams, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Gareth Davies, 8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Justin Tipuric, 6 Sam Warburton (c), 5 Alun Wyn Jones, 4 Luke Charteris, 3 Samson Lee, 2 Scott Baldwin, 1 Paul James
Replacements: 16 Ken Owens, 17 Aaron Jarvis, 18 Tom Francis, 19 Jake Ball, 20 Ross Moriarty, 21 Lloyd Williams, 22 Rhys Priestland, 23 James Hook

Date: Saturday, October 11
Venue: Twickenham
Kick-off: 2:45 AEST (16:45 local)
Referee: Craig Joubert
Assistant Referees: Jerome Garces, Stuart Berry

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Wish James Packer put his money into Rugby instead of Souths

Actually Packer is on the board of the Rooters. The Souths supporter referred to is Cheika. I reckon Cheika's energy is worth a lot more than Packer's money to our game. It would be nice to have both though!

Status
Not open for further replies.